The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Speaking as a hardcore fan, I hope there are some real surprises on this. Yeah, plenty have heard of the brilliant Gymnasium tape but anyone who’s a jimjim like me already has it. Plus I hope – if they are being completest like the last box set – that they only include Side 1 of the mono mix as the other half was just a fold-down. It would be a rip-off if they did have that in its entirety on Disc 2!!!

Perhaps the remaining CD and a half could include the original (and cancelled) mix of IHHCMN, the Cale-era BTSTL and WGO, Demos, rehearsal tapes and the ‘alternate’ Gymnasium tape* could also come in. Anything else from the Cale archive we don’t know about would be most welcome!!! Single mixes, less so. In the VU canon, these tend to be less than spectacular.

*= a live version of ‘Guess I’m Falling In Love’ has been doing the rounds on boots for years and when an official live version appeared on PSAS, it took many fans by surprise as although it sounded similar in acoustics it was a completely different version altogether. Hence there might be an ‘alternate’ show out there.

2. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I am salivating over the prospect of a Super Deluxe The Velvet Underground (self-titled 3rd album).

Are there dedicated mono and stereo mixes of this album as well as the closet mix? I imagine a super deluxe would include all three album mixes plus rarities. Either way, it's mine and my wife's favorite VU album, and the fact that they're doing this White Light/White Heat release makes me more confident I will see one for the third album.

3. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

there is no dedicated mono mix of the third record. Just a fold-down, with a few touches to make it more radio worthy.

Am very excited about WL / WH and VU 3rd LP reissues!

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The 192kHz 24bit version on HDTracks.com is stunning...

5. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Are those "few touches" interesting enough to warrant its inclusion in a Super Deluxe Edition?

6. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I could never understand that remaster since the main album was an analogue transfer. Did they really believe we preferred it brickwalled?

Or even alternate takes. Nico has one on The Frozen Borderline which I prefer to the original version. Evening Of Light from The Marble Index. The demos on there, however, are pitiful.

7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip but I just checked and there is no "Chelsea Girls" at HDTracks

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well regardless of the purchase cost of these sets, we have come a long way from the days of the labels sprinkling a very few bread crumbs across albums like Killer Bees & Warner Loss Leaders, and telling us "that's all folks" as we think to ourselves is that all there is to a rarities comp?

It's getting very late now, and none of us are going to live forever, so it's good times if your health is fine and your hearing is still good. I say bring on the Ultra Deluxe Box Sets, right after the super deluxes!!!!!!

9. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Did you search for "Chelsea Girls"?

12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, of course.

But the result I get is: "No records matching your search were found."

And when I use the link gazebo posted and try to purchase, this comes up:

"This title is not yet available for download from HDtracks in your territory due to current contract restrictions. We are working hard to soon be able to offer this title and many others in pristine high resolution quality. Please continue to check back for further updates. We apologize for any inconvenience. We look forward to having your business."

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The title of the album is "Chelsea Girl". "Chelsea Girls" gives no results indeed.

The limitation that you are faced with seems to concern the UK only, as I can see the album with the link above.

14. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

My copy is not at hand right now. It came out as part of Sundazed's Vinyl box set last year. I would probably say 'no' from what I remember. The box set will probably just need to have the two previously available mixes together, which no doubt it will...

15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No result for "Chelsea Girl" or "Chelsea Girls"

Yes, indeed, must be a UK restriction

16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I can see it too (as can bobcat I'm sure) using the above link (from the UK) but can't buy it. When I click on "Add" the message posted by bobcat comes up.

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

If you don't use the link and just search for it, can you see it then?

In any case my real desire is to see the remastered version, which is on the 6CD box, issued as a single CD....but that would be a consumer-friendly thing to do...and that's not what record companies are about, is it?

18. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Searching for "Chelsea Girl", no. If you used a proxy server to make HD Tracks think that you're in the USA and pay by Paypal you should be able to purchase it.

I suppose that they'll use any carrot to try to increase sales of an expensive box set, making that the only place that a remastered version is available, for a while at least.

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's difficult to speculate on the reasons why UK users are blocked from certain items on HDtracks.

On Qobuz, it happens when the same album is available from a UK download store, as these stores usually have an exclusivity deal for some territories.

ON HDtracks, the same logic does not apply.

20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, of course....I am tempted to buy the box set but what are the chances that they will announce the release of the remastered version just after I have paid for the super deluxe?....:)

crozcat likes this.
  21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

It's not a territorial rights thing then?. I thought that it must be, that is, an idea similar to why there is the region coding used for DVD and Blu-ray, presumably HDtracks can license a recording for sale on a regional basis, depending on who the rights holders are and whether they deem it worth their time and money. Hope that makes sense!??!! :winkgrin:

Very high I'd imagine......:agree::laugh:

bobcat likes this.
  22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I gave up on HD tracks every time i tried to order anything i was blocked i assume because i am based in the UK

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The issue is more complex. There are territorial rights granted by the rightholders, but also territorial restrictions based the existence or not of an agreement with a local royalty collecting society (representing composers)

http://musicandcopyright.wordpress....ew-enemy-of-digital-music-services-in-europe/

That's the reason why all HDtracks sales were initially restricted to the US.

Many smaller download stores seem to operate in a grey area. They pay the rightholder (label/artist), but don't have all the required agreements with the local collecting societies. They might allow customers to circumvent the territorial restrictions, but need to get tougher again on that when they are "caught" and warned about it.

That could explain the UK restrictions.

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yes, the fold down with added touches that can be found in the Velvets Mono Vinyl Box is the best version I've heard, it's quite beautiful.

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

As far as anyone knows, the Bootleg Series is dead and buried. And that sucks.

And yet, these "Super Deluxe" boxes might end up being something of a stealth Bootleg Series. After all, the VU&N box included the complete Valleydale show, the Sceptor Acetate, and even highlights from the Factory Rehearsals. The supposed WL/WH box will almost certainly include all the extant Gymnasium tracks. And if there is a 3rd album box, we might very well be looking at our best-ever chance of (finally!) getting a release of the Matrix Tapes.

Granted, this is a much more expensive, far less consumer-friendly approach than the previous Quine Tapes set. But at least there now seems to be a viable path to officially releasing the best of the material that may of otherwise appeared on the Bootleg Series had legal wrangling not scuttled that infinitely promising project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.