The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think the Matrix material deserves nothing less than the Live at the Plugged Nickel treatment. I think you are right re the 3rd LP outtakes....I wouldn't expect more than a few tracks.

Agent57, ReadySteady, phil1db and 5 others like this.
  2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Where you find this?

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

La Cave is a terrific performance, the recording is not great, but the excellence shows through, and Lou is in top form on guitar, "I Can't Stand It", "What Goes On" and "Foggy Notion" are worth the price of admission, a must have. End of Cole Avenue features a lot of the songs on Live 1969 but in better fidelity, plus an 18 minute "Sister Ray" and a 40 minute "Velvet Underground Jam" I think it's the least necessary of the Velvet's available live output.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Michael Wittrup likes this.
  4. hallucalation

Here's my imaginary tracklist (this is NOT geniune).

CD 1 (Stereo):
    01-06 Stereo Mix
    07. I Heard Her Call My Name (alternate take?)
    08. The Gift (Vocal)
    09. The Gift (Instrumental)
    10. Guess I'm Falling In Love (Original mix?)
    ..... more?

CD 2 (Mono):
    01-04 - First side of Mono LP
    05. I Heard Her Call My Name (Mono single mix - sundazed version)
    06. White Light White Heat (single mix)
    07. Here She Comes Now (single mix)
    08. Beginning To See The Light (May 68)
    09. Stephanie Says (original mix)
    10. Temptation Inside Your Heart (original mix)
    11-12. Hey Mr. Rain (Versions 1-2)

CD 3: Gymnasium

01. I'm Not A Young Man Anymore
    02. Guess I'm Falling In Love
    03. Waiting For The Man
    04. Run Run Run
    05. Sister Ray
    06. Booker T (??)
    07. The Gift
    08. Guess I'm Falling In Love (second version, ???)

Michael Wittrup likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Very plausible track-listing. And I wouldn't object to the 2nd "Guess I'm Falling in Love" appearing as a "bonus track."

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Yeah, it looks like multi-disc sets of raw, live Velvets material have taken an indefinite hiatus.

Any rare, especially unheard Velvets is good news. And any future extra 'LIVE 1969' tracks (the album, not the year) would be welcomed; supposedly the whole LIVE 1969 album is from a dub the taper made of what he considered the best tracks from the original reels. I also think it's a good idea to include 1968-era Cale material with the 3rd LP Deluxed release - as someone has mentioned earlier in this thread (unless it's already with the WLWH set - then cue it up!); hope Cale is involved and opens up his tape archive for the whole process. And of course there's the 1970 Max's Joseph Freeman tape, which is likely the final word in live, excellent-sound, original-era Velvets.

I guess we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but not by much, considering the lifespan of this group.

7. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Agree. LaECA is the VU's best boot. Yes, the jams are unnecessary but the rest is just amazing. It really was an eye opener when it came out as it exposed the fact that half of Live 1969 was drafted from acetates of the same tapes!!!

8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

If they're going to be milking this for what it's worth - from a marketing standpoint, of course - it'd almost make sense to release the 4th album (it's already named '1969' in that vinyl release) on CD as it's own Super Deluxoid set and build another rarities release around that - with attendant outtakes and live material from that era.

Otherwise, I'd say that the Matrix tapes deserve their own Bootleg Series vol. 2-5 Box set release. They might feel bashful about their Bootleg Series oeuvre consisting primarily of 1969 concert recordings, tho, but their legacy is what it is. But the Matrix tapes are the straight dope, so it'd be a shame if they were never completely released.

10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I'd be happy if they just ditched the single mixes as they really are a let down - nothing radically diffrent from the album versions. I'd keep SS as that mix is rare but the VU/Another View tracks are already out there so why duplicate them? Make this interesting for the fan who has everything!! :)

11. hallucalation

They said, that they will be using tracks from this two albums. There's very little in terms of outtakes/alternate mixes left for this album, so it's logical.

12. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Oh well, doubling up again. You wait decades for some new material and then you end up buying the same again and again for a few tracks...capitalism, eh? :nyah:

13. hallucalation

I'm glad for the Gymnasium tapes, digital mono tracks and 1968 outtakes. And decent remaster of stereo mix.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

In 5 years will there be a 50th anniversary edition? I'm not into it. Love VU but have all that need. A few more mono lofi live recordings ..zzzzz I prefer to use my money on new music

15. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Wonderful post!

osbie feel likes this.
  16. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

17. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

To each his own of course, I prefer to use my money on music I like, old or new.
    The VU & Nico 45th Anniversary edition sounded better than any other version of this album that I heared before, so I'm hoping this one will do to.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All it is is Gold stretched to three CDs. No extra tracks either.

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Gentlemen, why is only half of the mono mix a fold down and the other half dedicated? I never knew this.

20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It may be the fact that Sister Ray was performed in one take. I could be wrong though.

21. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

This is exactly what I hope happens. Aren't the Matrix Tapes something like 4 cds worth of material?

22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

No idea but it's only a recent revelation in VU circles...for years everyone 'knew' it was a fold down and just dismissed it as such..then we were corrected...can't remember who said so. One of the VU afficionados or Universal people, I think.

23. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Spotify has a second End of Cole Ave (recorded the first night) in less than stellar sound, but the performances are breathtaking. You can also get the physical disc from Amazon if so inclined...

24. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I'm guessing that the reason a fold down was used it that it couldn't be improved upon. I love it.

25. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Hassle away.

DeeThomaz and phil1db like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.