2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

It's an American joke that they think they're having on the rest of the world. But they don't realise most don't give a flying rat's about it. Basically summed up by Pink Floyd's 'Have A Cigar'....

Sordel likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Hey R&R HoF,,,how 'bout makin' some news, havin' some fun, and blowin' minds...
    Induct them all

3. I voted, Deep Purple, Yes, Linda Ronstadt, Hall & Oates and Nirvana.

I thought about the Zombies but too short of a career. Same with Paul Butterfield. Link Wray I am sad to say I don't know enough about. Peter Gabriel is too aloof for me. Kiss is a joke. A very good joke, but still a joke. As for the hip hop and disco well, this is a ROCK HALL. Let them build their own place and they can induct whom ever they want.

Genesis last year, Yes this year, Moody Blues next year!

Rick G

4. Nirvana but still no Cheap Trick?

"We sound just like Cheap Trick only the guitars are louder," - Kurt Cobain, Rolling Stone

ponkine likes this.
  5. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

Nirvana
    Hall and Oates
    Deep Purple
    Peter Gabriel
    Cat Stevens

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

There's no point in voting for Nirvana

They've been RS protegees for more than 20 years. They'll be inducted anyway, even without a single vote from the audiences

I voted for:

Deep Purple
    Peter Gabriel
    Kiss
    Cat Stevens
    Yes

:righton:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

More seriously than any rapper :shrug:

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

OneStepBeyond and zen like this.
  9. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
    In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;

In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
    In the Fall an old man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of how terrible the Rock and Roll Hall Fame is and 45 pages worth of how he absolutely doesn't care about it.

Unless of course his favorite band gets in.

Henryflowr and Oatsdad like this.
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

There's one unique factor about one of the nominees this time: Nirvana-- unbelievable influence on music, one of the greatest rock albums ever made, incredible songs. An obvious shoe in no doubt...

... however, would Kurt have ever wanted to be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? With everything he stood for regards to corporate rock, I very much doubt it. Obviously he has no say in the matter now but it's a funny thought.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

linda deserves it, should have been in years ago. probably will open the door for carly simon too.

yes also should have been in years ago, they get in and moody blues will follow.

nirvana! not before pearl jam, no way no how. they are there for one reason and one reason only, because kurt cobain is dead, if he was alive they wouldn't even be mentioned and whether you want to admit to yourself or not you know that is the truth.

peter gabriel should probably be in, maybe not this time, but someday.

still MIA:

chicago
    zevon
    moody blues
    doobie brothers

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I suspect that Peter Gabriel will soak up much of the prog friendly vote. He's like the fashionable face of prog for the Rolling Stone set. I bet Yes will get left out in the cold along with Deep Purple, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

"If Yes and Deep Purple do not get in this time, it will be as fraudulent as the Baseball Hall of Fame is. All it is about is money and market draw, and it should be strictly on talent alone."

Let the righteous breast beating commence! Obviously, commercial concerns come into play here, as do various political considerations, just like with any kind of public award show. I wouldn't call it fraud. I just think that Wenner has tended to draw some like minded critics/artists/fans to his coterie here. It tends to reinforce a particular vision of what's cool in rock/pop, though there are occasional surprises (like Rush last year). It is what it is, as the cliche goes. It's actually a pretty good crop of artists this year, much better than last year, IMO.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

Come on that's silly talk. Nevermind was one of the biggest selling and critically acclaimed albums of it's day. It came out of nowhere and blew open the music scene for a ton of 90's alt. acts.

Kurt was alive then, so obviously this was before his death had any effect. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way.

14. Paul McCartney, natch.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Ironically, he was patrocinated by the biggest corporate media: MTV and Rolling Stone Magazine

While Kurt sold the image of "anti-media" (and almost anti-everything that wasn't him), he was so commercial and corporate to sell his image on the biggest media.

If he was truly anti-media, then he'd never made interviews to MTV, RS, he'd never perform 'Unplugged', he'd never allow his videos on MTV, etc, etc

Vagabond likes this.
  16. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I expect Kiss to get in. It is the Hall of Famous not the Hall of Quality.
    I'm trying to decide whether to vote or shut up and maintain my distance.
    (I know.)

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

Totally agree. He was a walking paradox. He hated fame yet all his diaries indicated he'd run through a brick wall to achieve fame with his band.

I do think he'd have rejected something like the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame though (not saying I agree with his stance), but that's my feeling.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

actually, "ten" came out a month before "nevermind" and blew the grunge scene wide open for nirvana and a bunch of of others.

Ten is a perfect album, people listened to the whole thing over and over. not really sure how many "hits" were on "nevermind, but i know it didn't strike me as being even close to as perfect as "ten".

i honestly don't even know what nirvana's second album was, but i know "vs." was pretty good too. it was only with "no code" that pearl jam started to fade a little.

and you need to find it within yourself to acknowledge that if cobain hadn't died the legend of nirvana would not be what it is today.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

You're obviously not a fan of Kurt or Nirvana, that's fair enough, all down to personal taste. But your passionate dislike is clouding your judgement. Nevermind was a phenomenon. Even if Nirvana broke up there and then that album alone would cement them in modern rock history. That's not my opinion that's just an undeniable fact.

Despite low commercial expectations by the band and its record label, Nevermind became a surprise success in late 1991, largely due to the popularity of its first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit". By January 1992, it had replaced Michael Jackson's album Dangerous at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. The album also produced three other successful singles: "Come as You Are", "Lithium", and "In Bloom". The Recording Industry Association of America has certified the album Diamond (over 10 million copies shipped), and the album has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. Nevermind was responsible for bringing alternative rock to a large mainstream audience, and has been ranked highly on lists of the greatest albums of all time by publications such as Rolling Stone and Time.

vinylphile likes this.
  20. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

How can this tripe be taken seriously when Kate Bush isn't in it? She probably wouldn't show up anyway.

21. houston

houston Forum Resident

why do you expect that now? it hasn't happened for 15 years, what's so different this time?

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

one memorable album should not vault you to RORHOF status, IMO

23. Don't worry, PJ will surely be among the 2016 nominees.

24. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

Replacements
    Link Wray
    Zombies
    Nirvana
    NWA

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can't believe Nirvana is eligible. I feel so old.

I voted for KISS, Deep Purple, Yes, The Zombies, and Nirvana. I hope many of the others on the list get in next year.

I think they're overdoing it with rap. There are too many other acts that should be inducted before the likes of NWA...IMO. I appreciate what they did and all, what with bringing “gansta rap” to the world, but they really only have one good album...IMO.

Pete Gabriel just got in with Genesis, so no rush on him.

Agree with mention of Pearl Jam. They've been out there doing their thing for all these years and those first three albums are true classics....IMO. Maybe next year. Maybe they only allow one artist per sub genre per year or something.

I hope Judas Priest and Iron Maiden get their day.

KISS haters understand this: there are many of us who truly appreciate their music. It's more than spectacle. To me they were The Beatles of the 70’s. Deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.