2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Now that's a line-up I'd love to see.

Also, I'm thrilled to see the Replacements on the ballot. If (when) they get in, that should pave the way for some more kick-ass 80's, hopefully.

csnfan likes this.
  2. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Actually Rock AND Roll. So by that logic those that rock but don't roll shouldn't get inducted.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. I'd venture to say that every kid in North America who picked up rock guitar and was between the ages of 8 and 16 between 1975 and 1980, was influenced to some degree by Kiss. They were indeed inescapable, and they had a lot of good, basic rock songs that still hold up.

4. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Well, it beats the 40-50 year-old debates that usually crop up around here.

Nice to see some choices you wouldn't have seen in years past (Yes, Kiss), whatever your thoughts on the bands themselves.

Hall & Oates? Really?

5. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Including the Replacements themselves, as their Black Diamond cover demonstrated.

KISS still seems like a "had to be there" thing for me as far as their output goes, but given their level of influence I don't see why they shouldn't be up there.

6. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I would take "Rich Girl" or "She's Gone" over the entire careers of some of the acts that have been inducted.

JDeanB, Tristero and Daniel Plainview like this.
  7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

This is an impressive list. I see Nirvana, Peter Gabriel and the Replacements getting in automatically. Linda Ronstadt could be a a first ballat inductee with the publicity about her book. Chic might get in this year due to Nile Rogers' involvement with the recent Daft Punk album. I love Deep Purple, KISS and Yes but something tells me that none of these acts will get in this year.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never even knew that "bleach" was their first album, thought it was their second. shows you how impressive "bleach" was to me, eh?

in my collection i have "ten", 'vs.' and the PJ best of also have the nirvana best of, a couple of smashing pumpkins and a soundgarden best of. so my grunge knowledge is quite limited. so i do not have "blind faith" in pearl jam, i just think they are a better band than nirvana. and speaking of blind faith, if you don't think kurt cobain's death enhanced the nirvana reputation, you really have a lot to learn. see jim morrison......

9. zen

zen Senior Member

Deep Purple #1 choice.
    YES and Nirvana (close behind) grab the silver and bronze respectively. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes. Finally...

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

If the Hall of Fame was in the UK, she surely would be in it already. Here in the US, she is much more of a cult artist.

zen likes this.
  12. Lion

Lion New Member

Kiss should have been there many years ago!! Rock n Roll hall of Fame should have nothing but rock n rollers. NOT dance artists who have no trace of Rock music in their songs. JOKE!!

Nirvana...I'm on the fence with them.

Purple and KISS....hands down!! No debate. But....KISS won't be added just to piss us off even more! Too bad there wasn't a site where we can gamble on who will mke it in and who won't. I would have made a mint on KISS not being added in lol.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It will be a prog lovefest if Yes, Deep Purple, and KISS get in. Yeah, you heard me right.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Hall & Oates had a string of pop hits that have held up quite well over the years. If the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can induct Elton John and the Bee Gees, why not Hall and Oates?

rickg and Tex_Writer like this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Well, Kiss did a concept album back in 1981 so I guess you're sort of right.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Percy Sledge? Really?

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

I'll bet if Purple gets in-and I think they will get in eventually even if not in 2014-Lars Ulrich does the honors. Say what you will about the guy, but he's a lifelong massive fan and has always namechecked the band as one of Metallica's greatest influences.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Why not? I'm not a big fan but they wrote one of the most iconic riffs in the history of rock 'n roll.

19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Again, what about artists with no trace of "roll"?

wolfram likes this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

NO radio reception where he lives. ;)

vinylphile likes this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

I don't think it makes much sense to complain about the fact that the R&R Hall of Fame is now nominating rap, hip-hop and "pop music". They've been nominating these artists for a few years and I don't think they would-or really should-stop now. Perhaps someday, the name will be changed to the Popular Music Hall of Fame, but the "that ain't rock and roll" argument is pretty antiquated, IMO. And this coming from a huge rawk fan.

wolfram likes this.
  22. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

My choices would be
    • Nirvana
    • Link Wray
    • Linda Ronstadt
    • The Zombies
    I'm sure the actual 'winners' will differ from my list. That's OK, it's not that big a deal.

KISS has millions of fans. I saw 'em a couple of times in the early 70s. Not a fan at all and when I wanted loud, pure, party rock my choices were ZZ Topp or the James Gang. But that's just one man's opinion.

Capture.JPG

23. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Emphasis on "pop". Lotsa folks kvetching over other lightweight inclusions, and I'd say these guys fall into the same category. Don't get me wrong, I like 'em, think they did good work. But I don't think they're first-tier. You could definitely argue Elton and the Bee Gees are, in terms of lasting influence, number of hits, etc.

Oh, well, at least this opens the door for Shalamar and Billy Ocean...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Depends where you live. Although well-known, Kiss and Nirvana were never huge in the UK. More people here (of a certain age) would know Cat Stevens, Deep Purple and Yes than would know Kiss or Nirvana. But I guess the R'RHOF is geared to artists famous in the States, not anywhere else.

25. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

Emmylou?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.