2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Just induct them all.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, Deep Purple and Yes have that awkward position of still being extant groups with current members whose contributions aren't really Hall worthy. Call it the Vince Welnick effect. IMO, only DP's Mk II lineup is important enough for induction. Of course the ideal way to do it induct the BAND, and just list the members and the dates they played with said group.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Similar to Black Sabbath mk I. It seemed the million lineups they had, didn't hurt their getting in.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, you've given us R&RHOF alumni AC/DC and the Brother Gibb.

5. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

Perhaps influenced by disdain of Kiss, sure (13 in 1975.) To the people in my high school, Kiss was a joke band; if you wanted hard rock/metal, you went Zep/Sabbath, if you wanted theatrics, you went Queen.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  6. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

An unknown cult artist, unfortunately.

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm not a fan of every one of those bands, but I think they all deserve to be in the HOF.

BluesOvertookMe and brettster808 like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Actually I think you are referring to their third album "In Utero"-

Allmusic-5 stars
    Rolling Stone-4 and 1/2 stars
    NME-8/10
    Robert Christgau-A

Top 10 ranking in pretty much any album of the year poll from that year.

My point is that it is revisionist history to suggest that Nirvana only became legendary because of Kurts death. While of course every group good or bad will get more notoriety if there is a premature death to a member of the band, Nirvana were critics darlings who also sold a ton of records while Kurt was very much alive.

smokeverbs likes this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Yet, Queen never unmasked nor did a band member use mouth pyrotechnics.

bryduck likes this.
  10. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Only mk 1 was inducted for Sabbath. I think they should have included Dio.

I think it'll be interesting to see which members are inducted if and when Purple gets in.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But they were back to the original four when it came down. Metallica and The Dead wanted ALL members inducted, including very recent additions to their lineups. I'd say it's quite likely Sharozzy made it known that they did not want Ronnie. No other members of Sabbath (except maybe Vinny) would have ever been up for consideration.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

No doubt about Ronnie James Dio. But unfortunately for Dio, he has (had?) ties to the Deep Purple family tree. And that (at least in the past), was bad news for an artist wanting to get into Wenner's Hall o' Fame.

As for Deep Purple members, the classic lineup (Gillan, Glover, Paice, Blackmore and Jon Lord (R.I.P.)....for sure.

Goldmine Magazine recently put Deep Purple in their Hall of Fame. See what members they put in, highlighted below. (see below).

DEEP PURPLE - There have been 14 different members of Deep Purple, including four different lead singers, since the band’s chart debut “Shades Of Deep Purple” in 1968. With some members coming in and out more than once, there have been seven five-man combinations, all of which have been successful. The first combination of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, bassist Nick Simper, organist Jon Lord, drummer Ian Paice and lead singer Rod Evans saw its first albums and singles chart, but, strangely, only in the U.S., where the initial album, powered by the #4 single “Hush,” reached #24. The next two releases didn’t do as well, though, and Evans and Simper left, being replaced by vocalist Ian Gillan and bassist Roger Glover. Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice became the band’s classic combination, taking Deep Purple to new heights from 1969 to 1973, coming back from 1984 to 1989, and again from 1992 to 1993.

This also was the conglomeration that broke the band in the U.K., where it has enjoyed tremendous success since. The first effort, Lord’s “Concerto For Group and Orchestra,” a live effort performed at London’s Royal Albert Hall, didn’t do much in the States, but became the group’s first U.K. chart effort, hitting #26. “Deep Purple In Rock” had a weak showing in the US, but bolted to #4 in the UK and a single – “Black Night” – just missed being the band’s first chart-topper in its native land, reaching #2. The next single “Strange Kind Of Woman” reached #8 in the U.K. Included on the U.S. version of the ensuing “Fireball” LP, it helped bring the group back in the States, the LP hitting #32, while becoming the group’s first #1 album in the U.K.

“Machine Head,” generally considered Deep Purple’s finest hour, appeared in 1972, topping the British charts for three weeks and soaring to #7 in the U.S. But the group’s signature song, the single, “Smoke On The Water” on which Blackmore introduced one of Rock’s most instantly identifiable guitar riffs, didn‘t gain release in the U.S. until a year later, eventually getting to #4. Even stranger, the song didn’t hit the British chart until 1977, peaking at #21. And even stranger was the fact that all this was happening after Gillan and Glover had quit the group. The band went through several changes, and it wasn’t until 1984 that the group reformed with the classic lineup intact. Two smash albums, “Perfect Strangers” and “The House Of Blue Light” ensued. All told, Purple’s remarkable career has produced just six hit singles in the UK, but 21 hit albums, including three that topped the charts. In the U.S., only three of the group’s singles could be considered hits, but they put 20 LPs on the Top 200, 11 reaching the top 50, with three climbing into the top 10.

The inductees are: Ritchie Blackmore & Steve Morse (guitar); Jon Lord & Don Airey (keyboards); Ian Paice (drums); Rod Evans, Ian Gillan & David Coverdale (vocals); Nick Simper, Roger Glover & Glenn Hughes (bass).

http://www.goldminemag.com/news/goldmines-hall-of-fame-inductees-volume-31

13. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I love the Zombies but do they deserve to be in the R & R HOF? It would be a close call until you take a look at who's already in. So, yeah, they belong in!

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Interesting no Tommy Bolin in the Deep Purple induction for Goldmine!

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

And Madonna!

:whistle:

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

What about Rainbow are they in already, Blackmore and Dio need to be included ??

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The absence of Cliff Richard, The Shadows, T. Rex, Slade, Kate Bush or Lonnie Donnegan (as an "early influence") should be evidence enough of that.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If they inducted Rainbow, which musicians would be included? All of them?

19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yeah.....I don't get that.

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

My vote goes to who cares. I live 10 minutes from the hall and its the same as Hard Rock Café without the drinks. Plus the induction ceremony is not at the home city sours me to the whole corporation.

Sordel likes this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I don't know about that. The museum in Cleveland is pretty damn cool. They really do a good job with the museum part of it. The inductions and all that on the other hand... sort of pointless.

I mean the museum contains stuff from artists and producers and djs and instrument makers and others and many of those folks are not official "inductees." But it hardly matters. It's the history and the music that is honored more than any particular person. I like that about it.

rickg and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Yes, this is what I meant to state. I also agree with you on Kiss and the Monkees.

23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I think Nirvana is the sure bet for induction...more than anyone else on that list. Their influence on the 90s was bigger than that of any other band, period. Plus, the HOF won't pass up an opportunity to get Dave Grohl to play on stage for the induction ceremony.

The Replacements are my favorite band on the inductees list...and are (without a doubt) one of my top five favorite bands of all time. But it would be odd to see the lovable losers finally get the spotlight they deserve. The Replacements don't need to be in a Hall of Fame in order to justify their place in music. Just talk to their fans and you'll know how important they were.

If The Replacements do somehow get inducted at the same time as Kiss, I'd love to see them play "Black Diamond" at the ceremony if for no other reason that to p*ss off Paul Stanley all over again. (He hated their cover, apparently.)

As an aside, when I visited the Hall of Fame museum back in June, they already had a bunch of Replacements artifacts on display...the original demo tape, contracts, handwritten lyrics, flyers, etc...as part of their Midwest music exhibit. So even if they don't get inducted, they are already in the building!

24. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

The other difference is they're better.

Kevin j likes this.
  25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

That's what will happen, anyway. Arguing whether Chic or Kiss should be in is academic, because the R&RHOF inducts so many acts each year, it'll have to enshrine both eventually.

They seem to induct ten or so acts each and every year. It's not like ten or so R&RHOF-worthy acts debuted each and every year, so they're going to run out of recognizable names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.