Xanadu soundtrack on CD (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Wow - XANADU soundtrack on CD gets a second thread at SH.tv. (Must be all those ELO posts...) :D

Harry

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Oh my! Who would have thought that?!

4. Pizza

To sort of recap, I just finished a quick gander through this thread (and noticed a few posts I missed so you might see a "like" from me from an older post.) Since it's been recently asked (and I'm sure will be asked again), here's an unofficial (there never was an official vote so interpret anyway you want) rundown on posters' preferences in a Xanadu CD:

1. Japan - 7 folks have voiced their love for this version
    2. UK - 5
    3. Both - 2 have expressed enjoying both versions.
    4. US - 1
    5. Australia - Maybe 1 (Someone claims that there are later versions from Australia that sound good but they never gave any additional information.)

Now these are just the few folks who expressed a solid opinion. Many more have asked questions or added information about the various soundtracks on the previous 38 pages in Xanadu Soundtrack on CD thread.

Several posters who prefer the Japan issue have stated that Magic on the UK CD is impressive but not any other tracks.

It's been pointed out that the Red Hot Australian and UK CDs have the left and right channels switched.

Again, everyone's opinion is worth noting and respecting. The best version of Xanadu on CD is the one you enjoy the most. Maybe one day we'll get a version mastered by Steve himself and that will become the definitive version! :)

Also, you may want to consider a vinyl version of Xanadu as your go-to copy. I feel Olivia's voice really comes alive on my vinyl rip. In fact, I just listened to the ONJ side from the UK CD, the Japan CD and now currently the Japan vinyl rip while working today and her voice simply sounds sweet and warm from the latter.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  5. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

So when you say that the UK version has Olivia's voice at a higher pitch, that would seem to indicate a speed difference between the UK and Japan CDs. Have you looked at the waveforms side by side to confirm this? Or is this just a perception based on the bad EQ choices on the UK?

6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

xanadu title card.jpg

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree:
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea.

The opening mural scene was always my favorite, how it came to life!!!

Xanadu Mural 2.jpg
    Xanadu Mural.jpg

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

img_20130812_0002 (Large).JPG

102708-Olivia and Gene.jpg

Kira the Muse.jpg

oliviagallery080.jpg

Pizza likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

oliviagallery081.jpg

Olivia Michael.jpg
    Olivia and Michael.jpg

Xanadu Olivia.jpg

kronning, yesstiles and Pizza like this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

XanaduBelgium2.jpg

Kira End.jpeg

PROG U.K. and Pizza like this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Xanadu Interview Outake 1980 (Olivia)

Pizza likes this.
  11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Xanadu Press Photo (Large).JPG

Pizza likes this.
  12. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I think it was me who mentioned the higher pitch. Probably not the best way to describe it, but yeah, I was basically referring to the bad EQ on the U.K CD. There are no speed issues or anything like that, but since the U.K. CD was mastered extremely "bright", the vocals also are a little brighter...that's all I meant.

In any case, the Japan CD rules when it comes to normal and natural audio quality, as the other three versions all have issues. The U.K. CD is a bit louder and more upfront in the speakers of course (due to mild compression), but unfortunately, it is soo bright, I can't even listen to the ELO side, by the time we get to the ELO stuff, it's like a sugary sweet tooth that hurts the ears! :)

13. Futurecity

It must have been my enthusiasm for the Japan CD that got us this second thread. ;)

Pizza likes this.
  14. Pizza

Nice job, Song4u. You got this place looking very Livvy!

15. Pizza

That wasn't me who suggested there's a pitch problem. I don't feel the UK CD is quite as bright as those who may have their treble set too high. ;)
    If you check out the first page or two in the first Xanadu thread you'll find screenshots I took of waveforms for the song Magic from the various CDs. Later in that thread are waveforms for Magic from vinyl rips. I hope that helps!

Futurecity likes this.
  16. Futurecity

I have to wear sunglasses when I listen to the U.K. CD...it's that bright! :winkgrin:

I also have to, apparently, now listen to reversed stereo and I also had to paint the purple artwork blue again, but other than that, it's a fine release from our friends at Sony in the U.K...:cheers:

17. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Hmmm... I think I'll have to check out the UK as well. I'm not bothered by brightness issues as much as some, although hearing and highs may be a shock after listening to the Australian version for so long!

Pizza likes this.
  18. HGN2001

I wonder if a Region 2/PAL version of the DVD is sped-up. That would make all of the songs at a higher pitch - but only for the soundtrack on the movie itself, if true.

Harry

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I missed some of the last posts from our old thread. Thanks for the link to this site:
    http://www.ftmusic.com/xanadu/index.html

They are showing that the remastered UK CD of Xanadu as a picture CD, do you think this was just a photoshop for this article or were there some special pressings of a picture CD used for the remastered UK CD. I much prefer this picture CD. Interesting!!

xana_picdisc.jpg

20. Pizza

Isn't that the back image of the famous picture disc? Now that would be a cool CD label! I'd love to find that if it exists.

21. Futurecity

That might actually improve the movie...;)

If you read my other post, I didn't mean to say higher pitch, I meant too bright, but the fact is, the U.K. CD is extremely bright...the brightest remaster I have ever heard actually and it does have an affect on her vocals a little as well.

22. Futurecity

The U.K. CD can usually be bought brand new at amazon.uk for roughly $10 (and that includes the shipping), but yes, after listening to the warm and natural sounding Japan CD since 1991, when I heard the U.K. CD...the word "shocking" did come to mind.

When I first heard the U.K. CD, I liked how Magic sounded...it was really nice, more upfront in the speakers, but after that track, the brightness was too much for me, and after 2 or 3 listens, I came to the conclusion that the U.K. CD is not an improvement over the Japan CD afterall.

23. HGN2001

Yes, I read it, but thought I'd bring in another sidelight to the subject of "higher pitch."

Harry

24. Pizza

I think the number of times you said "bright" pushed the page count up at least 20%. ;)

25. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Futurecity may even be helping to sell the UK cd and not even know it. :laugh:

Seriously for the price of the UK CD you can't go wrong. If the Japan cd was priced lower and easier to purchase more would purchase it. I still want to get the Japan LP to complete my collection but its just so expensive with shipping.

Pizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.