McCartney Album "NEW" (2013) - (pt15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Don't forget Kisses On The Bottom was #1 on Billboards jazz charts!

Glenn, I wanted to make sure I got back to you, here are some more of those reviews for I Can Bet.
    Stuartshire
    I Can Bet - SUPERB! Perfect, clsassic McCartney pop/rock. It has everything. Great performance , and production. Touches of wings - the spirit of Linda on moog ! Quirky new recording touches and arrangement - and a killer catchy chorus. THIS to me is what a number one single sounds like!

Wixrocks
    .I Can Bet- This should have been the follow up single instead of Queenie Eye. I love it! My third favorite track on the album. I hope this sees the light of the stage, but I have a feeling the ticket buying fans will get screwed out of this one.

Toris
    I Can Bet – Love it. Melodious. Infectious. Hooked me in by the mouth and tickled my tonsils the second I heard the chorus. Then again, coming off Hosanna, perhaps even Loup would have had me dancing in my jocks with a spoon for a mike. I Can Bet brings me back to Tug of War, even if the “synth solo” reminds me of something off a B-side back in the mid-70’s. Another candidate for a single release.

Monkberry moon delight
    "I Can Bet" is my favorite so far... it's clocked up the most plays on the ipod. I listened to it over and over at Melbourne airport the other day. I got a few strange looks when I started singing along.... I was in my own little world. I love the line "I what I'm going to next I'll leave entirely to your imagination".... this song needs to be the next single, the lyrics could lead to an interesting video clip. Would be a great rocker live too. I played it for my brother and his comment was "now that's more like it"

DC shark
    I Can Bet
    This has to be a single at some point. There are so many hooks in this song. A great beat, and would sound great live.

2. His voice does sound rather fragile every in places, but for me, it's probably his best album since "Flowers In The Dirt".

Frank likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

(gnashes teeth.......)
    (pulls hair............)

JDeanB, theMess and alexpop like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I agree that "I Can Bet" is a catchy song but I tried to explain the reasons to maccafan why I think "New" was a better choice for a first single. For an older guy like Paul getting press coverage really helps and there wouldn't have been much of a press buzz for "I Can Bet" because there isn't any press angle about the song to make it worth mentioning. Unfortunately, a good song isn't all that's needed these days to have a hit.

It would be kind of nice if the single "New" kept selling and the album New was a steadily growing seller rather than tailing off after a couple of weeks. We shall see.

5. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

More readily available cubes could have shot Paul to #2.

PhoffiFozz, mrjinks and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Maybe Paul should have released the cubes with the New album as a free bonus? :D

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ode to the cube bear perhaps? :)

theMess and bocaymon like this.
  8. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

As I browse this thread looking at the updated posts I am slightly amused by seeing the little box beside every fresh post that says "NEW" beside it. I wonder if us forum members are the inspiration to the album title?

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  9. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

No, you're totally wrong!
    The official German charts for next week will be published this Friday, but people working in the media business get the information always a few days in advance. I can absolutely confirm that NEW will debut in Germany at No. 6! Soon all of you will see...

theMess, mindgames and fifth beatle99 like this.
  10. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I agree - but it did on the last album Memory Almost Full as well. I also think it sounds stronger in some places (I can bet, On my way to work, save us).

For me I rate it slightly higher than Electric Arguments but I need to get the vinyl on on both to make a final decision.:) Hope Santa is good to me...

11. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

You at least you have a point, though you are comparing apples & oranges a bit here. Pearl Jam and Paul McCartney have quite different 'target markets' (not least in terms of age) and one is still in its 'original incarnation' and still viewed (by its fan base at least) as still being on its original run of success/albums. Plus there is the 'cool' factor. At least here in the UK, Paul hasn't been 'cool' amongst the general population for a long, long time (just saying it as I see it, please don't shoot the messenger!).

P.S. Pearl Jam do play their 20-year-old 'hits', as a matter of fact.

12. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

Well that's fantastic! when I asked the original poster to expand on his statement. he disappeared didin't respond. If he had just said what you did that would have been fine. If I owe him an apology , I apologize now, but again the guy dropped a statement but wasn't available to explain or verify.

Now, what would you say number six would be on average, nowadays for Germany I'm guessing somewhere around ten thousand copies but you tell us please we'd like to have an idea so thank you very much

13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

By coincidence--okay, I was poking about to see if the Queenie Eye vid has been posted--I just watched the video on youtube for "My Valentine." Someone here had been championing the song here about 5000 posts ago on this thread. It was lovely. There are, I think four youtube videos of this song (identical, I presume); together they rack up nearly 10 million views. I just mention that. Ten million. Nine and a half, whatever. Lots. Credit that to Depp or to Portman or to Paul. I don't know.

Also, latter-day songbook-type collections won't be everyone's cup of tea, and they have a rather low critical reputation, but Rod Stewart will tell you that they sure sell... It may be that what CD buyers want from old artists is, well, old stuff. I like Kisses on the Bottom (as I tell my wife all the time!), but, given a choice, I'd rather have something New, even from an old artist like Paul.

jlf, theMess and Ed59 like this.
  14. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

You make some very good points, and I should clarify that while I have no expectations regarding older artists and chart position, I am a "music evangelist" myself when comes to artists I like. For instance, when someone mentions they haven't really listened to McCartney since the late 70's/early 80's, I immediately build a CD compilation of some of his best latter-career tracks. I've been talking up New quite a bit, and will no doubt pass out a few as "stocking stuffers" this holiday season!

But when it comes to purchasing music, I feel like I'm an anomaly for people in my age group (50's). While I continue to add to my collection, most of my peers stopped buying music in a significant way a long time ago. Much as it has been my entire life, it's the young people who hold the power in the charts. That's not to say a younger listener can't be turned into a "Beatles/McCartney" true believer. We have quite a few right here on this board. I have a 23-year-old nephew who LOVES Ram (on vinyl, no less). But that isn't the norm.

Part of has to do with what is perceived as "cool." While I totally agree with you that McCartney is almost single-handedly reinventing what it means to be 71 (several of the 20-somethings around me at Outside Lands could not believe the energy or the length of his performance), It's often hard for someone in their teens or late 20's to get worked up about someone the same age as grandpa. I think one of the reasons a lot more teens are into The Beatles (besides their ridiculously outstanding body of work), is because they "died young" in a sense. Paul McCartney may be growing old, but John, Paul, George & Ringo are eternally young.

Still, I'm 100% behind you in "fighting the good fight." I also believe New deserves to be heard by a wider audience, and not only because of McCartney's legacy to music. But also because it proves that good music is ageless.

15. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Oh, sod it. Lets all agree I can bet should be the next single. I will be bopping!

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Putting Paul's NEW CD inside a slipcover that said "NEW Pearl Jam" would have shot Paul to #1. ;) Arnie

17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I have a good one for you. My 9 year old actually wanted a Ram Birthday cake for his birthday - and got it. No, I didn't brainwash or torture him in any way.

theMess, fifth beatle99 and Ed59 like this.
  18. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Younger people download. Older people don't download or buy CDs. Cher has more 'cross-over' appeal than Paul with the generation that actually still buys (any) music.

Sure I can come up with more sweeping generalisations if you ask me nicely ;)

theMess likes this.
  19. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

You know, I would love to hear Eddie do some of these songs. Just imagine him on "Road"? I am sure everyone has heard PJ's version of Gimme Some Truth. It is absolutely great.

theMess and The Band like this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Glenn I still disagree about I Can Bet, the press coverage would of been all those that heard it saying how good it is!

If McCartney had released I Can Bet to the radio, that would be all the buzz needed, once people heard the song, the rest would take care of itself.

I mean it's happening anyway, as people hear the song, the main thing I notice they say is, it should be a single. They didn't need any special promotion to come to that conclusion, all they had to do was hear it!

It's the very same reaction I got when I first heard it, WOW this song should have been the first single, it has way more energy and excitement than New!

I still wonder how McCartney and his team missed that. The same thing happened with Band On The Run, they released the first single, and someone came to McCartney and told him that he had released the wrong song, and then he released Jet and the rest is history!

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Any photos of the cake? Did it have little sheep on it for candles? I also hope you avoided putting fornicating beetles on the cake. ;) Arnie

jlf, theMess and fifth beatle99 like this.
  22. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

At the moment I can't tell you any numbers, I would have to research at work, but at this time of year with lots of high profile releases coming out This is quite a good position. Apart from Pearl Jam the other artists ahead are either German "schlager" singers (a kind of very commercial folk music) or bands which are heavily featured on current high profile TV formats.

fifth beatle99 likes this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Just wondering..are these quotes from actual reviews ala Rolling Stone, or Pitchfork etc., or are these folks quoted from the same blog ? Where are these quotes from ?

My point was that "I Can Bet " shouldn't have been the FIRST single and you think it should have been. Maybe "I Can Bet" should be a single at some point but traditionally Paul's first single tanks, let alone later ones.
    "New" seem to be doing better than usual though.

Thanks for taking the time to find these and post them though. Maybe many folks think "I Can Bet" is a good candidate for a single , but I think it was smart that it wasn't the first single.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    fifth beatle99 likes this.
  24. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

And doesn't he do it better than anyone?

Paperback Writer, theMess and alexpop like this.
  25. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

Technically, that's not true.. "Helen Wheels" was never supposed to be on the album at all. It was placed on the American version at the last minute as part of a promotion strategy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.