Jethro Tull 'Aqualung'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by felix.scerri, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felix.scerri

felix.scerri Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day all, last night in the mood for a record, I trotted out my old vinyl copy of Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung'.

I'm not really sure why, but that album strikes me as 'special'. I'm not sure if it's the lyrics, the arrangements or just the generally fine musicianship evident but it is a fine, fine album in my opinion. Does anybody else also like it? Regards, Felix.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    M321115, keyXVII, fuse999 and 4 others like this.
  2. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I consider it one of the all time classics.ian anderson was firing on all cylinders during this period.my god,crossed eyed mary,aqualung,not a bad track on the entire album.

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

This was the first Tull album that I listened to in its entirety and it was love at first listen. The more I played it, the deeper my love grew for it. It was eventually stolen when I brought it to school (along with my Hendrix Electric Ladyland and Neil Young's Everybody knows this is nowhere). I replaced it and wore it out. I still listen to it a lot to this day. I love the CD treatment Steve Wilson did on the this and want to obtain the 5.1 Blu-ray eventually. One of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely one of the soundtracks of my life staple!

hazard and Bossfan like this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A great album. I bought it on tape when I was 17 in 1987 and was hooked. Later that year, I bought the CD. It was one of my first CDs.

The DCC gold CD is great, but I really like Steven Wilson's remix.

Cracklebarrel and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Yes it is special. I vividly remember my first ever impression, when I was about 14, totally new to Tull, very much into Black Sabbath, and watching this primetime talkshow on TV, with the cultural news and so on. The host reviewer came on very excited about this new release, they did a close-up of the front cover with the sinister / obnoxious character depicted, for the clip to be played, and as soon I heard the 6 notes of the introduction ring, I got hooked forever!

A little bit later when I bought the album I found it very fascinating that there seemed to be a "solo Ian Anderson" in the soft songs, who seemed a different kind of Ian Anderson character than the crazy one. I liked that it sounded like it was branching out a bit into other cool stuff of the day that I was hearing a lot on FM rock, like James Taylor and Cat Stevens. It sounded a bit like that to me. For me it bridged Black Sabbath (doomy riffs) with the contemporary folk scene.

And the entire LP cover is absolutely gorgeous, which didn't hurt either!

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It sets a particular mood and maintains it from first cut to last. I really like the arrangements and lyrics, which are evocative and thought provoking.

keyXVII and timind like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Been a favorite for years. Steve Wilson's remix on vinyl is my go to copy now.

8. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of this album too. I went hone one weekend from college and the fella at the counter (Jaime) told me I'd like it - I went there all the time. I took it back to college and played it for my frat brothers and others - everyone loved it. In fact, not long after Tull did a US tour and I saw them do Aqualung in Williamsburg, VA at William & Mary College. Awesome show - never seen all the theatrics before in a rock concert.

I also agree that the Steve Wilson rework of this is awesome. I'm hoping Benefit is as good!

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Was there a vinyl version of Steve Wilson's edition?

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

'Bout time we had an AQUALUNG thread around here! :laugh:

Scope J and ParloFax like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

One night at a party we serenaded an unwilling buddy with a sing-a-long to the whole album. Of course, the other guys were musicians in an amateur Tull cover band. I, decidedly, am not. Yes, alcohol was involved.

john lennonist and Dave like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Took me years to learn what a bog and a Wimpy Bar were. Hell, I'd eaten at a Wimpy's back in 1986, but didn't know that's what they were referring to, due to the "bar" part.

ParloFax likes this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No individual release. The lp cover is integrated into the overall package so much, selling the vinyl and jacket out of the box leaves you with a book and some cds and a dvd in card sleeves with no place to go, as they have slots in the inside of the lp gatefold cover. So even if you buy just the vinyl, there's slots in the gatefold. Sounds confusing, I know - you'd have to see it.

16. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

I have the WG CD (Chrysalis - Ariola München) but on the inner ring is "Manufactured by Sanyo Japan".
    The sound is really good, much better than the 96's edition that I bought later.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That 25th anniversary CD sounded terrible.

3rd Uncle Bob and Agent57 like this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

19. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

which song mentions the bog?

20. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

It's a great, great album. I'll never forget when I first heard it back in the day. I was listening to FM radio through headphones and the DJ played "My God", the lead track on side two and I was totally blown away...no in awe would be a better term. I bought a copy of the album the next day and have been a Tull fan ever since.

21. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely!!! The 40th Anniversary set is fantastic. Wilson's remix on vinyl takes this album to another level!

chaz and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's where Aqualung goes to warm his feet.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

This was my intro to Tull. Great album though I've since come to prefer Benefit.

Looking forward to hearing the remix for that one next week, though there are things about the original mix of Aqualung that I prefer to its remix.

davmar77 and john lennonist like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my favorite Tull album tied with Benefit.:D

25. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Bought my first copy around 1973. Still one of my favorite albums. Still trying to figure out WTH Mother Goose is all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.