Its time for the Black Friday 2013 RSD thread..........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

just wait one week after black friday once the ebay craze has died off and you will most likely get all 3 for around list price

otherdimension likes this.
  2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

What about ...
    RSD - JETHRO TULL Benefit (180g LP featuring the remastered tracks from the recent 2CD edition)

I've heard that it will feature the US track list with "Teacher".
    Can't seem to find a definitive answer.

THEN I SAW THIS -
    From Tull Management

We are pleased to announce a Highly Limited 7” Vinyl Edition of ‘Living In The Past’, featuring a new previously unreleased Steven Wilson mix of ‘Teacher’, will be released for Record Store Day, on April 20th 2013.

The 7” vinyl will also contain ‘Witch’s promise’ and ‘Life Is A Long Song’.

Ben Adams likes this.
  3. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

anybody know a good site to buy RSD releases from? I am only interested in the Cake box set but cannot find much on the net, its probably going to be expensive and hard to get :(

4. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

You might want to take another look around today. US stores saw the details on this Friday morning, which could explain why you didn't see anything last week. Enjoy!

Mondie likes this.
  5. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

I think they fill orders on a first come, first served basis so you may be late (I have no idea how long they have been listing the Cake box) but there's this: http://www.vvinyl.com/

Mondie likes this.
  6. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

The only automatic purchase for me here is The Replacements . . . Kind of Blue is tempting and it's great that Mermaid Ave. is finally hitting vinyl, but the price on those is way too high for me to consider them seriously.

Paully and jimhb like this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hmm, Bull Moose listing says the Rhino reissue of Jethro Tull's Benefit is the US tracklisting with "Teacher."

8. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Bad news for Cake fans. The Cake box has been postponed. We weren't given a reason, so I assume there is some production delay. Considering the price, I think it's pretty smart for them to slow down and make sure that everything is perfect. Now we expect that it be part of RSD 2014.

9. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'll be broke from WFMU the previous weekend.

11. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

The Nick Cave album is up for pre-order on Amazon UK with a 2 December release date, so it looks like it's one of those that'll be available on RSD first, but available elsewhere afterwards.

Omnivore have also confirmed that the Townes Van Zandt Sunshine Boy and Gene Clark Here Tonight will be available as standard releases (pressed on black vinyl) sometime after Black Friday.

otherdimension likes this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Grateful Dead and Andy Starr are it for me.I might buy that Standells,but I atready have an original German issue with a sleeve.Someday You'll Cry has been a favorite of mine since I was,like five years old.Still is.

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Wish I lived in NY/NJ,those record fairs are supposed to be killer.

14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

The bad experience of last April's RSD (the flippers first in line and picking the place dry) ensures that I won't be going to this one.

Also, a mono Kind Of Blue as a numbered RSD exclusive? I figure 70% of those will go right to the flippers.

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

They are. It's been two years since the last one because last year's was cancelled by the flooding from Sandy. The fever is building daily! Last night I got confirmation that I can take my last week of vacation time starting the Friday that the Fair opens and I don't have to be back until the following Saturday. I wasn't anticipating an approval because of Thanksgiving being in there but I guess I made a good case. I reminded them that when last year's Fair was cancelled because of Sandy I was the only one who showed up while the place was still under water and worked everyday I was supposed to plus extra during that disaster. One other guy showed up the following day but everyone else took off at least a week. So maybe I will visit Infinity Records on RSD if there's any funds left over!

Tommyboy and apple-richard like this.
  16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

You deserve to have a nice week. Good luck and I hope you find some nice items. :thumbsup:

Wally Swift likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, I'm glad CAKE put the slap down on these guys taking pre-order on RSD releases. Good for them.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Jeez, I forgot about that. I'll have to pass this year.

Wally Swift likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's my funny/sad RSD story. I wanted the Sigur Ros Ágætis byrjun exclusive RSD release so badly I could taste it. I had to come here and hunt down every scrap of info I could find on the release. On RSD, I went to my local store and waited in the big line...too late, all gone. So the ebay hunt began. The prices were crazy at first, of course. $100. I said I'd wait until it dropped down to a reasonable price. Maybe $40. I checked everyday, week after week, month after months. And then one day, listening to my digital copy, I thought to myself: "You know, I'm kinda sick of this album..."

For that reason, I'm almost glad for the high prices on ebay. Spared me a $60 shelf-sitter. :shh:

jamiesjamies and Tommyboy like this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

In talking with the owner of my local store, the rules are a bit different this time around. She was saying that they're able to hold certain titles for customers which wasn't allowed before.

With regards to flippers, yeah they suck, but there's not much you can really do about it other than limit what people buy which isn't ideal. If there's stuff you're after and you've got a good relationship with your local, just ask them to order in a couple of copies so that hopefully you get one.

Bill

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am hoping to pick up Kind of Blue in mono and the Doors RSD releases.

So they're releasing The Clash CDs on RSD? Will these be new masters or just reissues of the '99 masters?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Dumb question: Do independent record stores open very early for the Black Friday RSD like major retailers on Black Friday?

23. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Probably depends on the store. Many would, I think. Especially if they're in a high traffic area.

24. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I'll go again this this year. I always do. But I vow NOT to buy a title I couldn't get on RSD a few days later. I'll wait until the price comes down or learn to do without. Learned my lesson last time with the Alex Chilton title. I think.

May have to hit the mono switch on one of my several copies of KOB and just close my eyes.

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Then I'm sorry but you have a crappy store. That sucks. There are ways stores can control the flippers and ensure people have a good experience. My RSD experiences the last few years have been fantastic . . . get down there a couple hours early, between 5th to 15th in line, chat about music with like-minded people, get served doughnuts by the store. A staffer walks down the line and gives everyone a sheet of paper with the store's RSD rules, which basically amount to -- if you act like a flipper, we'll kick you out. One copy of each item per person. We get into the store and it's a bit of a frenzy . . . but I've gotten between 90%-100% of what I've been looking for every single time. That includes the MoFi colored vinyl Beck Sea Change and the colored vinyl Cure Kiss Me x 3. I just walked up to the racks and grabbed 'em.

Bull Moose and No Static like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.