Bargain Priced XLR Cables for Audio Equipment.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimbo1960, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Markertek. As mentioned above... Go where the pros go.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I look forward to your report. You will be impressed by how well made the interconnects are and they are flexible and easy to route.

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Mogami 3104 is an excellent 4 conductor speaker cable at around $5-$6 U.S. ft. that would do bi-wire for you. I've used 3103 (the two conductor equivalent of 3104) for a number of years now and have no desire to change-it replaced a set of Kimber 8TC which it outperformed and I sold for significantly more money than the Mogami cost (the 3103 was a cheap "experiment" after I had very good results with a Jelco tonearm cable made with Mogami 2534). My 3103 is terminated with high copper content Vampire spades, which are inexpensive as well and very high value IMO.

Any of the Mogami I've used has been cryo treated and burned in on either the Audiodharma cable cooker or Nordost toaster as the cost to do so is relatively insignificant (at least here in Canada) and the combination (cryo and burn) has resulted in improved performance on essentially everything I've ever experimented with.

Mogami 2804 also seems to be very highly thought of but it appears to be more of a "Japan only" product and I'm not sure of the pricing on it.

Some interesting comments on Mogami on Arthur Salvatore's site (scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-SpkrCab.html

4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Based on your recommendation have just ordered a 4" pair of XLR Female to RCA male Mogami cables $41.60 including shipping from Pro Audio

5. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

View attachment 300888 View attachment 300888
    ProAudio seem like a top class Company. Contacted them this morning 5:00 Am Israeli Time and had an answer to all my questions by 8:00 Am and a full solution.

Ordered 2 of these Cost including Shipping to New Jersey $42

Attached Files:

Vidiot likes this.
  6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Is Mogami OFC or UP-OCC?

7. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

From the Mogami Web site

W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors and extremely low capacitance. The 100% coverage served shield and twisted pair construction is excellent at preventing noise caused by electromagnetic interference. This cable is recommended when extended high frequencies are important or where long cable runs may be needed.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quality_balanced/

8. motorcitydave

Ok, thanks. Well, if it's OFC the price is definitely right. There's no point in spending $$$$$ on OFC. I prefer UP-OCC like what Neotech offers. They're not cheap, but lower priced than other UP-OCC cables and they just might in fact source from Neotech as Neotech is an OEM!

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I think, for the price, Wireworld Oasis 6 are going to work well in any system.

You should be able to find them for around $80, or less used.

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Beware of cheap sino clone XLRs........
    Neutrik is the only one
    Canare is the cable
    Not cheap but lasts a lifetime.

motorcitydave and ellaguru like this.
  11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Bargain price XLRs? Just walk into your local Guitar Center.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. motorcitydave

I agree. You get what you pay for. That's probably a good combo. :)

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Many are from Markertek

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Have you ever dealt with Take Five Audio in Canada? I have contacted them about Mogami W3104 and got a reply today. They do the burn it and the cryo treatment on cables and they can also do the tri-wire configuration. I have asked them for a quote.

15. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I've known and done business with Gene at Take Five for about 10-12 years now. Bought products from him and have had him construct and burn in cables for me as well. Gene was not selling 3103 when I purchased mine (I still don't think he carries 3103 but does have the 3104) but I bought the spades for it from him.

I also introduced him to the metals treating company that does his cryogenic work for him (the company is actually in my city) about 8-9 years ago as I had done a fair bit of experimentation with cryo at that time.

Gene is one of the good guys. Very knowledgeable, reasonably priced products and excellent service.

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have actually been in touch with him. He is very knowledgeable from what I have read in his messages.

He can tri-wire Mogami 2921 cables for me. How would these compare with 3104, I wonder? 3104 cannot be tri-wired but I suppose I could get them bi-wired and use jumpers on my Hyperion 968 speakers. Have you any experience of Mogami 2921 cable?

17. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

Audioquest just announced some great new entry priced XLR's and we get used XLO brand XLR cables in the shop all the time that sell for about $50

18. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Sorry, no experience with the 2921. 3103 and 3104 is a heavier gauge cable and more highly though of I believe. I would simply ask Gene his thoughts on using tri-wired 2921 vs. bi-wired 3104. Simple (and inexpensive) enough in the overall scheme of things to also have a pair of jumpers made up using 3104 at the same time if you do end up going that route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.