CBS to air Beatles 50th anniversary special 2/9/14 "Grammy Tribute"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majorlance, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Grrrrr. I had hoped they'd replay the original Feb. 9 episode of the Sullivan show. This just looks like a (potentially) lame collections of cover versions. Think I'll pass and instead watch the movie "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," followed by the DVD version of the 2/9/64 show.

DLeet, goodiesguy, Jerquee and 3 others like this.
  3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

more like some crappy new artists doing their versions of the Beatles UGH!

sewerdog, theMess, goodiesguy and 4 others like this.
  4. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Hopefully they will at least have the good sense to record the performance in The Ed Sullivan Theater in front of a live audience.

It would be better LIVE though, in Black and White, and on Sunday night at 8PM.

Oh well...

bluemooze likes this.
  5. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

I wrote this on Steve Marinucci's site earlier today...

That CBS special sounds interesting, though the inclusion of TOO many contemporary artists slaughtering Beatles' tunes makes me uneasy. More of a documentary tone sits better in my mind. More Ken Burns-ish, less slickness with artists that don't really have a Beatle clue. Interviews with artists we CARE abaout commenting on how the Fabs influenced their life. Some elements/performances by the LOVE troupe would be very enjoyable. What would really end that special day with a Beatle Bang would be a special "Sunday Edition" of Letterman with Paul and Ringo as his only guests. Or Dave could wait til Monday....I'm sure affiliates would much prefer those late night Monday numbers. Ha! Dave could take them for a tour of the theater, they could comment on the backstage/rehearsal experience (great stories, I'm sure) and they could reflect on photos from the New York visit. Then they could show that they've still got the chops and play a tune or two. Fab!

Tombby, xj32, bonnerj and 5 others like this.
  6. LCK

LCK Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it any better Faboomer!

7. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

No participating artists were announced Thursday.

They must mean 'other than the obligatory Dave Grohl'.

8. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Paul McCartney wrote and sang on every song The Beatles performed on the Feb 9th Sullivan show. Why not just have the man himself perform the songs is beyond me! It's not like he's passed away or retired!

xj32, Brian DeWitt, ParloFax and 6 others like this.
  9. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Bulls&#t.

I'm enraged!

10. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

This, to me, is just another example of how society has a fake, put-on appreciation for The Beatles. Instead of airing a restored, High-Def repeat of the original Ed Sullivan broadcast, or an amazing new documentary on the legendary night, or having Paul and Ringo put on a show, interview, etc. they instead choose to have what will probably be piss-poor acts that have no understanding of The Beatles (like The Black Keys, Dave Grohl, etc.) butcher their material.

Come on, people. Just fess up to it, you don't really like The Beatles, and you care about their history and impact on pop culture, music history, and society even less. Just don't make it a crap-fest variety program for those of us who LOVE THE BAND.

11. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

"Top contemporary artists will cover songs the Beatles performed on Sullivan, a historic night in music that launched Beatlemania in the United States."

Barf.

Ah. OK. So let's celebrate a meaningful night with a lowest-common-denominator, forgettable, meaning-free night stunk up by flavors of the month.
    I almost want to hate-watch it. Almost. I guess there's always hope, but with a network involved, who knows?

Hey, the Grammys are involved. It's got to be good, right?

Dan

sewerdog and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Doesn't look thrilling.

Even if it did, I'm going to be at the New York Beatlefest on 2/9.

marklamb and HAmmer like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The original Sullivan is a standard definition videotape from 50 years ago. You can only fix it up so much, along with the mono sound.

You're presuming that the company that owns the Sullivan show will make it available for an affordable price. There's very little precedent for airing old tv programming that old in prime-time/late night time slots. Beatles fans already have the Sullivan DVDs sitting on their shelf.

What's in it for Ringo or Paul?

Though if they RECREATED the original show with an Ed impersonator, a celebrity cover band and modern plate spinners and air it in B/W, that could be quite cool.

14. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I would rather see a show with artists covering thier songs who are thier peers (Elton, Billy Joel, Brian Wilson, etc) than what were going to get. If it's being taped right after the Grammys were probably going to get Dave Grohl, Blake Shelton, Lady GaGa and Kanye West (The horrors!)...

sewerdog and goodiesguy like this.
  15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

16. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

This is troubling news.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Maybe an encore of this killer trio?

18. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

19. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Urgh.

I need to rearrange my sock drawer that night.

ParloFax likes this.
  20. I hope Topi Gigo shows up. Too bad Davey Jones is dead.

goodiesguy, bluemooze and forthlin like this.
  21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Of course, only one of those people can really be considered the Beatles' peer.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Talk about a slap in the face. This is shaping up to be along the lines of the Beatles Documentary that was aired after Anthology. "Current" artists/celebrities saying crap like - it must have been great to have seen this(along those lines folks). GET REAL PEOPLE WHO WERE ALIVE AT THE TIME!:cussing:

24. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

From that night's Ed Sullivan show.
    No longer with us:

Ed
    John
    George
    Davy Jones
    Frank Gorshin
    Georgia Brown
    Tessie O'Shea

Still with us:
    Paul
    Ringo
    Charlie Brill and his wife
    Mitzi McCall

25. old school

old school Senior Member

I wish they would show the original airing. And there arrival at the airport. Well at least I can say I saw the original and how it changed me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.