I've gone from buying $50 LPs to 50¢ LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RJ3000, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I first got back into vinyl two years ago, stumbling into this forum with the intent to build up a vinyl collection. Some of my first titles purchased were indeed $50 records: our host's wonderful 45rpm mastering of A Charlie Brown Christmas, Classic Records 200g pressing of Zappa's Hot Rats, the MFSL pressing of Beck's Sea Change.

Soon through the addictive Classifieds area and Ebay I was able to pick up some great LPs at 1/10 that price.

Well today, I finally went into the Salvation Army store near my in-laws' that I've been driving past for over 10 years. Holy ****! A treasure trove of vinyl for 49¢ a piece! In my first pass today picked up some beauties: Mono Sinatra September of My Years, Pickwick/33 pressing of Sergio Mendes Trio's So Nice, Chicago IX, WHAM Make it Big and more. I haven't even run them through my VPI 16.5 yet and they sound great. Granted I had to pick through a bunch of Jim Nabors, Andy Williams and Whipped Cream & Other Delights to find these!

I know I won't be finding recent audiophile pressings at this place, but I'm thrilled to be able to flesh out my collection at a bargain price. And tomorrow everything in the store is 50% off -- LPs for a quarter!

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Now you are learning, my young padawan. Seek the bargain, not the pricey.

However your Charlie Brown Xmas and Classic Records are still good buys!

RJ3000 likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Forum Resident

And the competition grows yet again... :(

:)

MarkO, Naughty Chord and moople72 like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's Great! I'll still spend fifty bucks though on a record depending on the release. it's not necessary but sometimes it's worth it.

6. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Right on, brother...I go out looking for used vinyl at flea markets and yard sales just about every other weekend and usually come home with an arm full, often for under 20 bucks...happy hunting (just stay the hell out of my area) :laugh:

FWIW, all I can recommend to anyone looking to score ridiculous vinyl deals at flea markets is: get there as early as possible. Most of the places I frequent have usually been picked through on Saturdays by 9am.

RJ3000 likes this.
  7. RJ3000

I hear you. I just overpaid for the Beatles BBC Vol 2 pressing so I could get the promo 7" so it won't be 100% bargain bins for me (and I've been enjoying the BBC set).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup, I own a lot of great records that I paid a few bucks for and lot of great records that I paid fifty dollars for. Everything gets cleaned on my Okki Nokki RCM which cost a heck of a lot more than any album that I've bought but was one of the best investments that I've made for my record collection.

Matt Starr and bluemooze like this.
  9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

A few years ago, a record store here in town used to run weekend sales where all of their $2.00 used stock would be marked down to 4-for-$1. In the span of a few years, I paid a quarter for the following LPs in VG+ to NM condition. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Bryan Adams-Reckless
    Asia

Jeff Beck-There And Back
    Pat Benatar-Precious Time
    Pat Benatar-Live From Earth
    Commodores-All The Great Hits
    Roger Daltrey-Under A Raging Moon
    Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms
    Foghat-Live
    Genesis-Three Sides Live
    Genesis
    (shapes)
    Honeymoon Suite
    Jethro Tull-Living In The Past
    Loverboy

Loverboy-Get Lucky
    Loverboy-Lovin' Every Minute Of It
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band-Somewhere In Afrika
    Steve Miller Band-Fly Like An Eagle
    Steve Miller Band-Circle Of Love
    Steve Miller Band-Italian X-Rays
    Missing Persons-Rhyme & Reason
    Missing Persons-Color In Your Life
    Aldo Nova

The Police-Outlandos d'Amour
    The Police-Synchronicity
    Quarterflash

REO Speedwagon-A Decade Of Rock and Roll 1970 to 1980
    Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band-Live Bullet
    Pete Townshend-Scoop
    Robin Trower-Bridge Of Sighs
    Wings Over America
    (Wally pressing)
    Gary Wright-Dream Weaver
    Yes-Big Generator
    ZZ Top-Fandango! (London label)

nsmith1002, xdawg and Rocketdog like this.
  10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I've paid $50 for crappy vinyl and 50 cents for perfect. You just gotta look.

11. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I used to find great stuff in the cheap bins at Legends Records in Ottawa. They had a five for a dollar bin where I'd sometimes find good titles in perfectly acceptable condition like Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark and Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits. There was a separate $1 each bin where one time I got copies of Zappa's Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe. I later saw the same albums in about the same condition I found them at Legends going for $20 each at a store in Toronto. Legends also had a discount section where everything was $10 and under. I got the first few Alice Cooper albums including Pretties For You that way.

For a few years I worked at a Salvation Army and got good stuff with my employee discount like Amon Duul II's Tanz Der Lemminge, a Jamaican album of Lee Perry productions and the National Wildlife Fund benefit album that included Across the Universe, all for under a dollar each.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  12. RJ3000

There's a pretty good range of used vinyl options in the Boston area -- from record stores where you can get some neat used stuff for $5-10 to thrift stores in hipster neighborhoods that have $1-2 LPs (usually more recent stuff).

I'm in one of those "flat out" busy phases of life: just had third kid, working, teaching evenings, etc. so the thrill of this find is that I literally drive by it nearly every day.

dlokazip likes this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Way before 9AM. I'm there at 5:00am with a flashlight!

Naughty Chord and Agent57 like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I still pick up vinyl at thrift shops for a quarter each...

xdawg and RJ3000 like this.
  15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

bargain bins are great, but it's finding space! I've become selective (had to) and will take a great $50 record over 50 $1 records

ElizabethH likes this.
  16. Michael

I got some original Beatles American albums for next to nothing...I mainly bought them for the covers.I was thrilled to find a mint MTB and Introducing...on the wall they went! I enjoy them everyday!

17. RJ3000

In my searching today, I came upon the "Apple Jam" third disc from All Things Must Pass. I didn't see rest of the set -- man, *that* would have been a score!

18. Michael

hey maybe you will find the other 2...it's possible!

19. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

or the best is when u find a $50 lp for .50 cents! u know it happens!

Thurenity likes this.
  20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'm just giving you the heads up, speaking of cheap records.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be dumping a bunch of records from my collection. Double copies, things I don't play, and records that I found a better copy of. I just moved two more racks to hold all the new records.
    The project should be ready by the end of the month, I'm more interested in trading by the way.
    If anyone lives in North Wilmington/ Southern Pennsylvania and wants to trade wax, drop me a line.

[​IMG]

notesfrom, RJ3000 and bluemooze like this.
  21. Michael

YES~I found a load of original albums from the 60's at the public library for a dime each...great stuff.

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just don't buy "crappy" records. Ya know, records that won't thrill ya.

Save your Pepsi money. ;)

One Louder likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I usually never spend more than 50 cents for vinyl. I buy all my stuff used at thrift stores and record store bargain bins. You get weeded out stuff at the bargain bins, but thrift stores really can be a surprise sometimes.

24. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

The only records I paid more than $5 for so far are the newly released ones. I usually buy used records for about a dollar each, haven't found a place that charges less yet.

25. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

I've set my limit to 5EUR and within that limit I've found for example great copies of:

White Album
    Rubber Soul
    Let it bleed
    Exile
    Sticky Fingers
    Led Zeppelin 2 RL (OK, this one's pretty bonfire-ish)
    DSOTM
    WYWH (german 400 010...sounds awesome; 1EUR!)

plus tons of others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.