A Trick of the Tail Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, I'm new to record collecting and I recently purchased a Canadian Atco pressing (SD 36-129) of A Trick of the Tail by Genesis and boy does it sound awful. The mixes sound like demos in comparison to the Remastered CD I'm used to listening to. The last track especially, Los Endos, sounds almost like a different song. I've heard that the Japanese and German pressings of Wind and Wuthering (which is also somewhat mediocre on the Canadian pressing) sound much better. Is this the case as well with A Trick of the Tail? How does the UK version sound? Thanks.

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My brother has the MFSL vinyl of "Trick" and I think it sounds great. Don't know about your pressing, but Genesis records often sound a bit flat on vinyl since they're so long.

3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I also have the MFSL version of this album on vinyl and I think it sounds incredible. I have not heard any other pressings but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can find it for a reasonable price on the used market.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I fell in love with the band based on my introduction:

-a used US Atco yellow label vinyl of ATOTT.

I do have that MFSL vinyl now as well, but have yet to listen to it. Better get cracking!

AidanB likes this.
  5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

You want to get some original UK copies, they're fine. TOTT is the first original Charisma label only pressed by Phonogram, there's no EMI pressing at all.

6. peter

peter Senior Member

UK for me on this.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The original Atco was no great shakes.

8. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Had original ATCO and dropped it for the MFSL which, if clean, is outstanding.
    Better versions of some of the songs on this great LP can be heard on Seconds Out (IMO) and if you can score a Japanese LP you're in for a treat.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Do you mean for ATOTT or SO? The only LP copy I have of SO is a JPN vinyl.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was lucky to stumble on a MFSL a year or two ago. I can't recommend it enough.

Munger74 and Sheik Yerbouti like this.
  11. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I was speaking of Seconds Out when referring to the Japanese pressing. I'd post the deadwax info but some of it is Japanese symbols.

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

The original yellow Atco is not good. However, I do have a mid-'80s pressing Atco on that looks like this and sounds very nice indeed. Not bad if you can get it minty and cheap. I haven't heard the MFSL.

[​IMG]

mooseman likes this.
  13. Jeff SSM

Jeff SSM Forum Resident

Another vote for the MFSL Vinyl. It sounds great.

Sheik Yerbouti likes this.
  14. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

I second that. Since I've had the MFSL LP I never felt any need to check out other pressings.

15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Gosh darnit. I bought the old (1st) MFSL LP of Supertramp's Crime of the Century and thought it was terrible. Sure, it sounds like it came from a good tape, but the smiley-face EQ ruined it completely. I assumed then that this would be a problem with most if not all of the MFSL releases from that era, but now I read that Trick of the Tail is actually very good?

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

The MFSL's from that era are hit and miss - like most labels. TOTT is a hit.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

18. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I vote for the original German. Wide-open sound, better tonality than the MFSL, and without the collector's cache of the MFSL, it can be found cheaper.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

interesting, this: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1389199 ?
    not textured but gatefold?

20. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

That's the one.
    And the bass goes deep, not thin like the US version.

tspit74 likes this.
  21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

ok good, oh yes I pass on the US... so I have in mind 1st UK, 1st German and Mofi ;)

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Got the MFSL. Love it, but was told the UK (or was it Japan) was even better.
    Also have the Japan with purple obi. Translucent vinyl just like the Japan pressed MFSL. Haven't heard it yet, but I wonder if it's the same?

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont get it let me see if I understand:

ok you say that MFSL is good http://www.discogs.com/Genesis-A-Trick-Of-The-Tail/release/2082732

but
    the 1st UK is better http://www.discogs.com/Genesis-A-Trick-Of-The-Tail/release/900699
    or the Japan 1st press http://www.discogs.com/Genesis-A-Trick-Of-The-Tail/release/2092567 1st press is red obi
    2nd japan reissue is purple obi http://www.discogs.com/Genesis-A-Trick-Of-The-Tail/release/4253189

the MFSL is translucent or which one you refer?
    the mfsl is unique mastering, not the same than japan press...

24. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

I have a UK -1/-1 and I think it sounds great, but I've got nothing to compare it to.

Later, Chris

[​IMG]

TLMusic likes this.
  25. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I've done a bunch of comparisons (MFSL, Japan, US, Germany, Later UK's). Although some of the others are really good, the UK 1st is 'top dog' to me. Took what seemed like forever to find one with tolerable surface noise, though. The pressing itself is great, but the LPs came in those evil heavy cardboard inners that tend to cause little scratches that will be audible in the quiet bits, in my experience.

christopher and hvbias like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.