CBS to air Beatles 50th anniversary special 2/9/14 "Grammy Tribute"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majorlance, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Ummm, he was a friend of and worked with John, George and Ringo. Has covered quite a few Beatles songs. Godfather to Sean Lennon. Need anymore?...

2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I've heard some of it, if I'm in the mood for George I'll just play his stuff.

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If they reassembled the artists that played on concert for George (sadly, Billy Preston is gone) for the Beatles Special, I just might watch it. The artists all had a relationship with George, were extremely well rehearsed by taskmaster Clapton, and delivered outstanding performances of each song. My favorites were Isn't it a pity and My sweet Lord featuring Billy and Something featuring Paul and Eric...it starts out acoustic with just a uke and then slowly builds through the song to a full and magnificent accompaniment with Paul and Eric trading verses.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

Just read this on the Macca report...

November 20, 2013 -- Ultimate Classic Rock

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr to Lead Star-Studded Beatles TributeOn Feb. 9, 2014, CBS will mark the 50th anniversary of The Beatles' first appearance on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' in a big way.

According to ABC News Radio, the group's milestone will be celebrated with a special, 'The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles,' which will feature appearances from Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr as well as John Lennon's and George Harrison's widows, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison. And if the latest rumors are correct, those are just a few of the famous names turning out to pay tribute.

ABC's report quotes a recent post by the Australian site TV Tonight, which claims that an unnamed network executive revealed some extra details surrounding the special - namely, that it will include appearances by Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Adele, Bruno Mars, Pink and Katy Perry, who will deliver new performances of the five songs the Beatles played on their 'Ed Sullivan Show' debut.

The special, which is being recorded the day after the Grammys on Jan. 27, is set to air at 8 PM EST on Feb. 9. Although CBS has yet to confirm any of the rumored participants, they're clearly planning something big. "Whether you were alive to witness it on television that night, or you've just known about it all your life, that first television appearance by the Beatles on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' is historic," executive producer Ken Ehrlich said in a statement. "To be able to celebrate this significant event 50 years later - and to the exact day, date, and time - with an all-star cast of Grammy participants, shapes up to be one for the books."

Not happy about this at all..

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Junk.

Bewaremylove likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Singalong Junk.... ;) Arnie

PhoffiFozz and Bewaremylove like this.
  7. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

I'm not happy about creatures such as Ladio Caca being there, but I'm quite happy to hear that Paul, Ringo, Yoko & Olivia will take part :righton:

PhoffiFozz and Bewaremylove like this.
  8. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I used to go quite often in the late 90s/early 00s. Since then maybe 1 every few years. Each time I went, I came away from it feeling like it has become more of a rip-off than anything. Mark Lapidos bringing out Mark Hudson for the umpteenth time to talk about Ringo, and the same guests year after year, the whole affair has just become tired. Plus, it also seems so unorganized. He has his kids and kids friends running the thing. Charging people $50 to walk in the door, sometimes more, ridiculous. I am sure years ago it was something special, when he had good guests, ala Harry Nilsson. Now, I couldn't be bothered.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

This all poses an interesting question. Would you rather have Katy, Justin, and Caca perform, or Yoko?
    Maybe Gaga will wear a bag and she and Yoko could spend the entire show in there. And how dare Timberlake call himself JT, we know who the real JT is.

10. Bewaremylove

They should have just made this a documentary which ends with the entire broadcast from the Ed Sullivan show. Keep it simple and classy.. Nope. Let's invite Gaga, who will overshadow the whole event by being dressed as an actual beetle.. lol

goodiesguy and One Louder like this.
  11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You are not thinking like a TV executive. Unlike the commemoration of the Kennedy assassination, this event is not being planned as a news show. It is being done to garner ratings by appealing to that all-important young adult demographic by featuring celebrities that will appeal to them. They figure us geezers will watch because Beatles is in the name of the show.

Fifty years ago, it was pretty much the same. We all watched to see our favorite celebrities, and our parents watched to see acrobats, Georgia Brown , and a few other comedians.

JimC likes this.
  12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Unless they're performing a song together.....................

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe we'll get to hear them do a live version of Carnival Of Light. ;) Arnie

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  14. Bewaremylove

Guilty as charged.. LOL

15. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

On the bright side, we may not get it over here.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, but Mr. Tull will not attend.

17. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I can't wait to hear :tsk:Beatle songs via Auto tune.

Bewaremylove and Jeffrey_T like this.
  18. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I plan to watch my DVD of the February 9 performance, complete with the original commercials, on February 9 at 8:00 pm.

goodiesguy, Bewaremylove and dasacco like this.
  19. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

That's exactly why I made the comment, Andy. We went all the time years ago until Lapidos kept bringing back the same retreads and guests who had very little if any connection to The Beatles.

20. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Mark Lewisohn's there on the Sunday this year, as well as the Gretsch exhibit (featuring guitars and other stuff from the Harrison estate), the Smithereens and Steve Holly are the main reasons I'm going - I haven't been to one otherwise since the '80s myself. Certainly not going for Mark Hudson (ugh!), Peter Asher, Donovan and/or the usual suspects wheeled out - that's for sure.

Beatlemaniac that I am, I expect 4 hours or so to be my limit (people get *way* too worked up at them) but as good a place to spend the 50th anniversary as any, especially as it's back in Manhattan.

Not like it used to be, that's for sure though. I actually once partied with Nilsson at a fest back in the day! That was fun (what I remember of it)!

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It will be great if they get real rockers to perform and not todays top 40!

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

First Adele performance anywhere in over a year?

Surprised Bruno is allowed to do this and the Super Bowl.

23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yup, think I'll just pop Anthology into the DVD player instead, thanks. God, I remember being just paralyzed with excitement before that aired on ABC. How times change.

g.z. likes this.
  24. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

:cry::shake:
    Unfortunately I believe both Beatles have prior engagements.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is only the second one I'm going to.......the first one was 3 years ago when they had Andrew Loog-Oldham......I had recently bought XM and love hearing him on Underground Garage. I'm not normally a convention person. The Smithereens, Donovan, and Chad & Jeremy are the big attractions for me. Some might be retreads, but I haven't gone enough......and yes, 50th in NYC as opposed to the Meadowlands seems like fun.

(I can't stand "creepy rainbow beard" either)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.