"Buckingham Nicks"--When, If Ever?....*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Of course, I find it amusing Stevie recorded and toured behind her new album but wouldn't go for a new Fleetwood Mac record ...

Maybe IN YOUR DREAMS stiffed and that set her off ...

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

But Lindsey and Stevie did record a "new" duo track for the EXTENDED PLAY release ... of course, it was an old, unreleased BUCKINGHAM NICKS-era song ...

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

This year has already delivered a "context". The B/N Album was part of Dave Grohls "Sound City" Movie and also reason for Stevie to take part in a song. And on the recent FM-Tour they talked each night quite extensively about their early career (so they did in Cologne) before singing the unreleased B/N Song "Without you".
    We may have to wait what the future brings for Fleetwood Mac and what happens to John McVie, whether Fleetwood Mac may tour again.
    If not it may change the perspective for Buckingham and Nicks. Although I wish FM can go on, which should usually leave time enough for them to care about that release.
    About a second Buckingham Nicks - Album...I thought we already have that named "Say you will"...;-)

But as being somehow said before, most people complaining here already have that album on vinyl. It sounds great and a new vinyl would not be better.

Peachy likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I could see a scenario where FM just can't tour anymore and BN go off and tour and record together and yes reissue the BN album. Money talks. If the demand is there(and I believe it is) we will see this in most of our lifetimes.

Or then again, maybe not.

5. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

Indeed. I have not seen Sound City yet. Was Lindsey included, or was that something only Stevie participated in?

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I got a needledrop of it a while back and just listened to it now. Honestly I can't imagine a reissue of this album on CD can beat what is already out there in the vinyl rip - it sounds amazing!

7. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, it looks like the 40th Anniversary is going to pass without an official CD release. If you read Wiki though, Lindsey and Stevie keep talking about putting it out for the 40th, so what happened...once again??? Some things are just criminal at this point, such as no official B/N CD and no Boston THIRD STAGE remaster!

Grant likes this.
  8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

No Lindsey, but a great story from Mick about hearing the BN record during the mixing stage (I believe) while visiting Sound City & subsequently how FM then came together with BN. I assume a well known story but it was new to me and fun to see/hear Mick tell it.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

She has a new DVD of it coming out next month, according to her website, so she's not giving up on it, just the format and type.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

She had a "single" from it: "You Can't Fix This". It got mixed reviews. I like it. I heard it in a record store right after the "Sound City" soundtrack was released, and it impressed me right away. I bought the vinyl. Most of the songs on it are good, IMO, but Stevie only did one song.

BTW, that song title always looked eerie to me. When I see it on the label, the jacket, on the display in my car...it looks frightening for some reason.

11. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Here she is performing it on The Late Show with David Letterman:

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Especially if John McVie croaks. Does anyone know what kind of cancer he has?

13. When you "remix" I'm assuming you mean a new 2-channel stereo mix or do you mean a 5.1 remix? There's nothing wrong with the original stereo mix as it is, so I don't know why Lindsey wants a new remix. The original mix is perfect.

14. I'm actually not really bothered now if this album is reissued or not, because I've given up hope. Until I see a pre-order date on Amazon, I'm not listening to anyone else. I'm happy with my master tape copy and the bonus tracks as it is. Of course, should an official release see the light of day then I would snap a copy up straight away.

15. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes. Yes there is. :winkgrin:

16. nicole21290

nicole21290 Forum Resident

Both John Mayall and. Christine McVie have suggested it was caught early and prognosis is good.

Regarding 'context', Lindsey has repeatedly talked about that being needed. It's all about timing for him. The past few years, they both have ramped up Buckingham Nicks talk - Lindsey has played Stephanie on his solo tour, she choose to spend nearly ten minutes discussing the origins of Without You onstage every night, they both bring those days up A LOT in interviews, even more than usual.

Stevie might not be as against the idea of BNII and touring with Lindsey as some think. Certainly, Lindsey always talks passively about the release (I feel it coming soon) and that's rubbish as if he has no say or decisions or impact.

Anyway, a few quotes from them in the past few years:

B: You mentioned yourself the Buckingham Nicks album. It's funny, I've asked you about it a couple of times and I've asked Stevie about it a couple of times regarding the re-release of the album. And when I ask one of you, you say 'ask the other one' so *Lindsey laughs* are we ever going to see an official re-release of the Buckingham Nicks album which is legendary in status?
    LB: Well, yeah, I think, you know, that's the irony. Part of the fact that it's legendary is that it's somewhat elusive. And yes, I think there will be a re-release of that on CD officially. Uh, you know, I feel it coming soon, you know. I mean, a lot of what's interesting about Stevie and me is we have our solo work that we do and then we come together in Fleetwood Mac and there are still chapters to be written about Stevie and me after all this time. I mean, it's hard to fathom how that could really be, that we would still be evolving, but that seems to be the case and I think that's one reason it's taken so long for us to come together for figuring out when's a good time to re-release that. Because we are sort of playing hide and see with each other, you know.

“There has been some talk about finally getting that out on a CD,” Buckingham told Pop & Hiss when we caught up with him last week at a tour stop in Charlotte, N.C. “I think it really comes down to what we want to do with that format. Do we want to just release it and that’s it? Do we want to add some bonus tracks? What level of involvement do we take it to? There’s a market for just about anything we want to do, but we have not gotten there yet. It’s something we need some clarity on. If it were me, I’d say let’s put a couple of bonus tracks on it, and do some dates. That would be something brand new,” Buckingham said. “The idea of just dropping it as a CD doesn’t quite underscores the gesture enough... These are dialogues we’ve had, but only in the hypothetical, and we have not come to any decisions about what we want to do,” Buckingham said. “And all these things will become clear. It’s all from the bottom up. These things tend to take on a life of their own.”

"When ('In Your Dreams') runs out of gas, as all records eventually do, then possibly Fleetwood Mac will regroup and do another thing -- whether it's a record or a tour, I don't know," Nicks says. "Or maybe Lindsey and I will go off and rent a house in Wales and do a Buckingham Nicks album. I have no idea, but I do know the music will continue."

SN: "Next year is the 40th anniversary of Buckingham Nicks, and we're hoping next year to get the record out. Then we'll take that lost song and put it on the record. That's kind of exciting, though it doesn't have anything to do with Fleetwood Mac. People have been waiting forever for that record to come back out. Fleetwood Mac is totally good with us doing that. They know. It was great spending time with Linds. We're old enough now that we've laid down our weapons. We started this whole thing in 1968 and we're proud of what we've done. We look each other in a slightly different light now. It's a good light."

Q: Do you envision Buckingham Nicks coming out as a deluxe edition box set?
    SN: It is the 40th anniversary, because it was released in 1973. We have this new version of an old demo. So, we should put the album back out, and if we can make that happen then Buckingham-Nicks should go out on the road next year. It would be great to do it in the 40th anniversary year. This might not just be the year of Fleetwood Mac, but we might throw in the Buckingham Nicks album for a special, sparkly, extra present.
    Q: So you might actually reform the original band and take them out on the road?
    SN: There's always a possibility. That is a situation where we would actually go onstage and do the complete Buckingham Nicks album. It would be a trip to bring it back with Waddy Watchtel and some other people from San Francisco. It would be trippy for Lindsey and I to revisit those songs.

LB: For right now, I don't have a particular vision of what this tour is going to be. I don't have an agenda for it. Knowing Stevie, she probably talked about this one track she wants to put on Buckingham Nicks, right?
    Q: Yeah.
    LB: [Laughs] What did she say about it?
    Q: It's the 40th anniversary, so it's time to finally put it out on CD and maybe do a tour with the old band, possibly including Waddy Wachtel and the other guys.
    LB: Oh, the old band with Waddy Watchtel. Wow. Well, listen, I would love to do a tour with Stevie. I think that would be very appropriate. She was talking about doing it in between legs of a Fleetwood Mac tour, which is not going to happen. It's logistically impossible. It's economically suicidal because you can't do enough touring it make it worthwhile. Putting out Buckingham Nicks, I'm totally down with that. To do what she's talking about, we need some bonus tracks. We need to do one from each of us. I'm totally down with that. I'm not necessarily opposed to doing that in a Fleetwood Mac set, although it hits me a little bit like we're going off message. But did she mention any other new material to you? I bet she didn't.

Q: But you definitely think that Buckingham Nicks tour is not going to happen this year?
    LB; How could it? Let's look at the logistics. We've got about 40 dates right now on the books for America, starting April 3rd. We're running into the middle of the summer, and they may add more dates. We're going to take a break, maybe a month, I'm going to go vacate with my family in July probably. I'm thinking probably then, obviously if things are going well we're going to go play in the U.K. There are a ton of places we've never played that we could play, but let's just say we play only the places we have played, which is Germany, Scandinavia, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand. Let's just leave it at that. I mean . . . now we're into . . . Obviously you do maybe Australia last, because the weather's going to be better down there in the fall. So how do you even contemplate doing a Buckingham Nicks tour anytime in 2013?
    Q: I guess you can't. Will the album finally come out at least?
    LB: Well, she's all big on that and I don't have a problem with that. I mean, I don't know how many people actually care that it's the 40th anniversary. If it were up to me, and it may be to some degree . . . this is just something that was an idea off the top of Stevie's head, in the same way she brought in a song for Fleetwood Mac and turned it into a Buckingham Nicks song in a couple of days. You can't follow this stuff because it's a moving target. It complicates a set of preconceptions you already have about Fleetwood Mac, which is really the message we're on now. But, okay, if it were just you and me I would say it doesn't matter it's the 40th anniversary. Stevie, if you're serious about touring behind Buckingham Nicks, let's wait. I would have two scenarios. One would be to wait and put it out close to the end of the Fleetwood Mac tour. When the tour is done and go rehearse a proper show and do it. Another thing would be to go ahead and put out Buckingham Nicks as a sort of secondarily level of awareness around a Fleetwood Mac tour. It's a little off message, but that's fine. When the tour is done we can go into the studio and cut a new Buckingham Nicks album. That would be the most credible thing you can do. Then you'd have to enough material to do a whole show. There's nothing expedient about any of this. It's a total commitment to the idea of the past and the present as regards Stevie and Lindsey. Again, if you contemplate doing shows as Buckingham-Nicks, there's only nine songs on that album. Even if you do the whole album, you don't have enough for a show and you're back to doing your other stuff. That isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't a huge statement. I don't know. There are a lot of questions surrounding how we'd do this. Stevie said to me, "We could do five shows." Five shows!
    Q: That's a lot of work for five shows.
    LB: And what are you accomplishing by doing that?
    Q: The two of you have a very complicated relationship.
    LB: Now that you've talked to the two of us, are you starting to feel like a shrink?
    Q: A little. I'm just hearing different visions for the future of your partnership.
    LB: I've been saying to Stevie for years that we should revisit Buckingham Nicks. I know there's a market for it. I'm not saying . . . I know we're not going to go out and play arenas . . . I think something elevated happens with the two of us and there's an interest in that . . . It's a bit of an intangible. But I've been saying that for years. To me, if you're going to do it, do it properly. I just feel like a lot of what she's talking about is kind of skimming and isn't necessarily well thought out. She does things from the heart, but you have to do things that have logic, too. And make some sort of sense on any number of levels. I don't know what she's thinking even. She's going to take Waddy and all these people out? We can't do that. We have to reinvent that whole thing.

They obviously CAN work together better than they have in the past but maybe in short spurts only aka for Soldier's Angel (Stevie says he was there for two days though Lindsey says he actually hung out a fair bit with her while she made that album in 2011...), the four days at Lindsey's home for the EP, etc. We even have this in a interview with Ryan Murphy about American Horror Story:

"So she gave me the rights to her music and she and Lindsay [sic] Buckingham are working on a special sort of redo of a song they did about a witch."

And the most recent comments from Lindsey about Stevie's (lack of) contribution to a Fleetwood Mac album:

“The way we do things in Fleetwood Mac is always a political mine field. If it’s not Stevie, it’s me—someone is always causing trouble. [laughs] I know Warner Brothers is dying to get an album from us, even though we’re not signed to them anymore. Stevie needs to come to the table with some material. In order to contemplate a new album, she has to want to do it." Buckingham went on to say that Nicks’ positive experience making In Your Dreams, her 2012 solo album, complicates the prospects for a new Fleetwood Mac LP. “She had a wonderful experience making that album,” he says. “She hasn’t said this—this is just me—but knowing Stevie, she’s probably thinking, ‘If I have to write five new songs, do I want to give them to Fleetwood Mac?’ And that’s fair enough. I think she’s feeling a bit protective and territorial about the experience she had doing her solo project. And I can totally relate to that.”

Helmut likes this.
  17. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Such a sensitive way of addressing the situation…..

18. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Can't imagine a better 2 channel than the original either.

19. I don't understand why Stevie and Lindsey think re-releasing Buckingham Nicks has to be tied in to a tour. It'll be a niche, archival release no matter what. I'm not sure a tour will help sell more copies of the album. Maybe they are guessing that the album will help sell more tour tickets. In any event, it's not like they need the money. Just release the dang thing quietly and give the fans what they want instead of this buffoonery.

Andrew Smith and rob68 like this.
  20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I have a good vinyl copy, and honestly, I never understood the hooplah. Just never appealed to me, much as I am a huge LB fan. I also didn't like his first solo album.

21. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

They missed the 40th, so what's next, a possible 50th Anniversary release and tour?

22. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting all this together.
    It somehow brings me to the idea, that both are just "playing" to keep the myth of the album alive. They both have more money than they will ever need. So for more than 20 years now they are constantly asked about that album and it will probably go on forever. The on-going soap opera about their relation was always part of the attraction of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours line up. And the "quarrel" about the B/N album is the only remaining topic to keep the soap opera going for the public. And they knowingly supported that on the last tour.
    There are more than enough original copies available (even to be found on german flea markets), you can find the songs easily on the internet. So what would happen if they release it? Some people would buy it and the myth around that album was gone....end of the soap opera.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Well, since John's diagnosis they both have some time in their schedules if they want to get together and create some new music. I wish John the very best and a speedy recovery, but you have to think something like that will take some months, which leaves that time free from FM duties for Stevie and Lindsey. Would love to have the BN album out, and if they decide to do another one that would be great too. They should do a couple of shows and record them for a deluxe package :) Of course, Im dreaming now.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

If they can coax Stevie to write songs for Lindsey to play on I would rather they wait and do it with Mick and John. Stevie's reluctance is what's keeping a FM album from happening and I'd rather they not waste those songs on a BN album.

25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Id like to see them do both!! :) No reason Stevie and Lindsey cant put together something for BN and then by the end of next year say, start working on new FM material. All of this is predicated on how ill John really is and continues to be. If he were to recover very quickly, which I would hope for, then the FM stuff would likely come much sooner. That would probably sound the death knell for any new BN stuff though. At least in the next year or so. Time will tell I guess :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.