audiophile stereo dealers: worst taste in music???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Reminds of the time playing "Spiritual Unity" cleared out a good percentage of the room in a Linkwitz room at Axpona. And a quiet "what the f***" from a guy behind me :) I was genuinely interested in hearing the type of music I like since I was interested in those speakers. Both Mr and Mrs Linkwitz were very polite and didn't mind that I hear an excerpt of Ghosts from the album.

2. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

Midrange magic, full-range boredom.

I had a discussion with a senior member of the Sydney Hi-fi club, who was trying to get me to come along. After he sent me the playlist for the session, I (perhaps un-)politely declined. I predicted most of the playlist before I'd even seen it.
    I basically made the same statement as the OP - why do they always trawl out the same old crap when they demo hifi. I mean who on earth would actually listen to Diana Krall for pleasure?

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm going to take all of my Gary U.S. Bonds records.

hi_watt, EasterEverywhere and Yovra like this.
  4. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I do. I bring a range of music that I'm really familiar with: most of it is very high quality, but I include some music that I like that is far from "audiophile" in quality. I want to know what a system (or component) is going to sound like with all the music I listen to, not just the audiophile gems.

Grant and Yovra like this.
  5. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Me

whaleyboy likes this.
  6. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

/wave

I like some Krall and lots of other bands besides.

If you don't like it please don't listen to it.

To the OPs question I have been tremendously fortunate with high end equipment dealers and their music choices - I have heard selections from Lyle Lovett to hard bop and everything in between. I have been turned onto lots and lots of music from audiophiles but maybe I am just easy :)

Mij Retrac likes this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

If they want to attract younger people to the hobby, they better start playing some interesting contemporary music. Most younger people ain't listening to jazz.

8. Mij Retrac

There isn't a whole lot of contemporary music that sounds good enough to demo a high end system with.

Metralla and BradOlson like this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

We know that over 90% of contemporary music consists of loudness wars stuff.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  10. nbakid2000

It depends on the stereo and the recording. I've heard modern recordings that sound way better on high end stuff. There's also modern recordings that sound worse on high end stuff.

My point is that if you don't play "normal" music to demonstrate your hi-fi system, people aren't going to care about the system.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  11. Mij Retrac

My experience when selling better gear was that "normal" music to many of these people was either the stuff that people are slamming high end stores for playing or other non modern music in general. I can probably count on maybe one hand the number of good modern recordings to demo and take full advantage of a good system.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I always bring my own music. I've seen salesmen take out their little notebooks out and write down the Titles to buy them later. A couple of dealers have jokingly said I'm not letting you leave unless you let me have that CD.

I think that they like different types of music but they have to demo with something that has a specific sound and will not offend the general buying public.

13. Mij Retrac

I never had that as a restriction anywhere I have worked. Especially since you can close the door and for the most part block the music from the other parts of the store. I have always had between 30 or 40 CDs/SACDs/DVDAa as my demo discs as a salesperson and I tried very hard to make sure I had something that could please just about anybody that came in. I actually spent the downtime just testing different discs out to see how well they would work as demos. There is nothing worse than death by demo.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

That's not the issue here, though, is it? It's whether Krall or Patricia Barber or Nine Inch Nails or Bruckner or Deathcab For Cutie works as demo material, in light of the customer's declared interests.

whaleyboy and Mij Retrac like this.
  15. Mij Retrac

The thing I have learned over the years is the people that don't have good demo material and or don't ask you what kind of music you listen to really don't care and are just going through the motions.

SteelyTom likes this.
  16. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

Could it be that these dealers are using albums such as these for demos as they have found that they sell more gear with this material rather than what many of us here like? If it really was as simple as playing more mainstream stuff wouldn't the guy in Room 238 playing AC/DC at the audio show be selling stuff left and right while the other dealers looked on with envy?

Don't blame the dealers they are just catering to those that buy their stuff which a big chunk of the demographics appears to be old rich guys that want to spend their money on luxury items and like boring music. I bet most high end dealers make the majority of their sales to this segment as opposed to the well read audiophile who likes all sorts of good music who also asks dozens of questions but never really buys anything.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  17. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Disagree.

Fleet Foxes - s/t
    Broken Bells - s/t
    Upstairs at United #4 - North Mississippi All-Stars
    Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
    Good Old War - Come Back As Rain

Give me an hour and I'll come up with another dozen contemporary records that sound very good.

sublemon and nbakid2000 like this.
  18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Absolutely. They want to show you how great their systems are, and you can choose between Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac, and Pink Floyd (without Syd Barrett).

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I want extra quads. How can I get extra quads? :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Mij Retrac likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

That's just technical talk. It doesn't really apply to you.

21. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I wouldn't listen to average country music on 8 Track anyway! :thumbsdow

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

When "demoing" equipment "taste" in music isn't the priority (except too the customer).
    Are you saying you know outside their store demo cuts their taste in music is shellac?!?!

i NEVER demo'ED 'Jimi Music', EVER!!!
    [wk'ED yrs at an A/V palace]
    So, how would anyone know my taste in music???

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

but there is plenty of good music that is not cliche and still well recorded.

24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I remember I once took a Mojave 3 CD (their 2nd, Out of Tune) to a high end dealer to audition some CD players. They of course had no idea who Mojave 3 were but they did think it was a good sounding album. It's not a perfect recording but has some well recorded vocals and pretty good dynamics, despite being a CD from 1998.

I always bring music I am very familiar with.

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Judging by the current music scene, they don't even have a corner on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.