audiophile stereo dealers: worst taste in music???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

I used to, at one point, listen to the Stones, the Dolls, the Clash, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddely, Otis Redding etc. out of my brothers Fender Twin Reverb guitar amp, direct from the crappy turntable.
    Sounded wonderful. Felt even better.
    If you like rock n' roll (as opposed to "rock"), sometimes good enough is good enough.

troggy likes this.
  2. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

But the young don't care what you think. That's youth.

3. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

If you are addressing me, I was young at the time. Too, the young these days often listen to highly compressed MP3s and WAVs and the like . Which is, actually, akin to listening to old blues records out of a guitar amp. "Brickwalled", I think it's called.
    Long and short: I see the humor (and truth) in the title of this thread.
    Makes me no nevermind.

4. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Nor do they have the money to buy the gear.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

:rolleyes:

6. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Yeah I honestly don't. There's a great store here in town but I rarely visit it as I never have enough money to buy speakers or an amp.

7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Only in the case it's an early Albert issue or the later remastering of Barry Diament. :)

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

OMG! The misinformation is rampant this morning!

"Brickwalled" refers visually to an audio file that has a large RMS, so large that it exceeds full scale digital, or "0". And, since it exceeds FS zero, it will clip, so a limiter is usually employed to limit the peaks, or any other part of the file that would exceed FS. The result is that the file literally gets chopped off, and has that "brickwalled" appearance when the resulting waveform is viewed in an audio editor. It the limiter's threshold is set low enough, more than three db (the typical modern CD is 6db or more), the effects can be heard, and it is not desirable. But, neither is the digital distortion that results if a limiter had not been applied. The effect also reduces the dynamic range.

9. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Years ago, a buddy was going to spend some serious coin on a system and he insisted on only demoing "A Wizard, A True Star" in the hi-fi stores - one of my favorite albums, but God it sounds like crap!

10. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

Try not to confuse contemporary with pop. You'll get much better results. There is literally a whole world of modern high-end music.

11. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

The only one I have experience with on this list is Wasting Light and the CD is way too limited and isn't demo material. The vinyl on the other hand is. So having said that, how many people do you think come in to a store wanting to spend $10K+ on a system that listen to bands like these? My experience has been not a lot.

On another note that is only a handful of albums:D

12. Mij Retrac

So name me some great contemporary recordings that sound great that aren't pop, jazz or classical.

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Excellent choice!

14. yohalfprice

I'll list some contemporary artists that I would not pidgeonhole in those categories who I think fit the bill for excellent musicianship and recording quality. Alan Stivell, Steve Tibbetts, Eric Bibb, Toumani Diabate, Taj Mahal, Ali Farka Toure, Oliver Mtukudzi, Samite, Vishwa Bhatt, Paolo Conte, Govi, Ottmar Liebert, John Fahey, Los Romeros, Bob Brozman, Pink Martini, Toure-Rachel, Kat Edmonson, Ruben Gonzalez, gotan project, Otros Aires, Habib Koite, Hassan Hakmoun, Rene Lacaille, etc. A scratch of the surface. Look underneath and there is no end.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Michael Stearns
    Tord Gustavsen
    Bill Frisell
    Steve Tibbetts
    Dead Can Dance
    Bohren and der Club of Gore

16. Mij Retrac

Some of those are definitely borderline on those categories. The other point would be how many people coming into demo a high end system would have a preference for this stuff over the other stuff that has been mentioned here? Especially since much of that stuff people won't be familiar with so it is a harder sell when trying to play stuff the person isn't already familiar with. The key to a successful demo is to either play something people are familiar with or something you know they would appreciate and tell them what they can expect to hear. The latter is much more difficult to be successful at however.

17. Mij Retrac

How many of those do you think a typical person on the street buying a nice system will know? Or even an audio salesperson for that matter? I have only heard of one of them and I would like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of music.

18. Synthfreek

Why does that matter? How many people know Diana Krall ONLY from hi-fi shops.

19. Mij Retrac

And look how many people in this thread like listening to her being demoed at hi-fi shops. look at my post before the one where I was responding to you on.

20. yohalfprice

It is hard, perhaps pointless, to categorize music. The issue with playing music in demo systems may be whether or not it captures someone's attention and casts your equipment in a good light. I think there are lots of opportunities for both. The artists I listed are ones I would consider both musical and accessible, i.e. you hear it you like it. I'm just saying there are any number of musicians worthy of the finest equipment.

I used the Taj Mahal/Toumani Diabate cd Kulanjun to demo some Infinity Kappa 8 speakers last year. The owner had 10K just in the speaker connects and was certainly impressed by the results, though he wasn't familiar with the music. I've demoed other speakers where it became apparent to me that the owner wasn't aware how good they could sound largely because of their own poor source material.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  21. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but-- okay!

22. Synthfreek

If you have only heard of one of those artists then I would say that you definitely do not have a pretty good knowledge of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.