McIntosh MA7900

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clanceman, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently purchased this McIntosh MA7900.

I replaced/traded my Prima Luna Prologue Integrated tube amp for this.

The Prima was 30 watts per channel, driving B&W 805's, in my small 2 channel music room.

I'm absolutely loving this integrated receiver. It sounds amazing.

The reason I started this thread (aside from pride and excitement :)) was to get opinions and create discussion from people that own this or the other new McIntosh integrated receiver entries, like the MAC6700.

While debating this purchase, I went to these forums and couldn't find much in the way of reviews.

If anyone owns or has owned any of these recent McIntosh Integrated products, I'd love to hear about your experience and what speakers you have it paired with, listening habits, etc....

As for me, this is the amp of my lifetime. Whether I crank a cd, and most definitely vinyl, the experience at high volumes is incredible.....so smooth.

2. Clanceman

I forgot to attach the photo of the MA7900.

image.jpg

3. MEDeWire

MEDeWire Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of McIntosh sound. I do not have the integrated as I have all separates but all McIntosh amps produce bass with authority and rich midrange and highs that are their signature sound. The digital section of your Integrated I believe is similar to the one in my C2500 preamp, try the USB input as you will not be disappointed. Enjoy

Clanceman likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Cograts on your purchase!
    I have a MA6600 integrated amp, 200W per channel. I bought it almost five years ago and I have no intention of replacing it, since after five years of using it every single day for many hours I still love it, love it, love it.
    It sounds great, but besides the great sound, what I like about it is that it can drive almost any speaker out there with easiness and authority. In the past I had Harbeth, Quad 988, Revel and now I have Kef Reference 207/2 and LS50. It drove/drives all perfectly without sweat.

PS. The MA7900 is not a receiver, just an integrated amp, right?

Humbuster and Clanceman like this.
  5. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

Very nice and congrats. As an owner of macintosh gear, I agree that they are a pleasure to look at and listen to tunes

Repeter13 and Clanceman like this.
  6. Clanceman

Yes, my mistake. I had the MAC6700 on loaner initially. That one had the HD tuner that I didn't need. Using the DAC on this, I have a Sonos system connected, that gives access to all the local radio, if desired.

5-String likes this.
  7. Clanceman

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hard for some to understand, I suppose, but I wanted so badly to connect with other McIntosh owners.........and I guess get this...."congrats, and welcome to the club, and I love it too".......so seriously, thank you :)

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I didn't bother with the HD tuner either. I like radio but I rarely listen to it when I am home.

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Clanceman

I'm guessing that the installer utilized the proper inputs. They've been my stereo dealer for years. I will say that running the digital sources (Oppo and Sonos) through the DAC that's built into this amp is giving me cd sound I've never heard on my system. Just loving it!

10. Clanceman

I know it.

The other reason I went with this one over the MAC6700, which I think essentially replaced yours, was for the 5 EQ knobs in front. The 6700 came without. I still think I could've accessed the EQ from the remote, but I liked the look better, and like being able to walk up to it and make a quick adjustment :)

5-String likes this.
  11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of McIntosh. That is one seriously nice piece of kit. Have fun!

Clanceman likes this.
  12. Fergusdude

Fergusdude Member

Just came across this thread. I am too looking at buying the MA 7900...been comparing to MAC6700 and possibly a MA7000 (at a discount) with a D100. Seems the MA7900 seems to have it all as an integrated, updated, power-rated, ego-inflated option. I am also powering a pair of B&W 805n. My main reason to buy one of the new integrated is to use the built-in DAC - digital recording and analog inputs for components.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Clanceman

You will LOVE the pairing of the 7900 with the B&W 805's.

The MA7900 is my pride and joy!

14. Fergusdude

Fergusdude Member

Yes, really looking forward to getting my studio set-up. How did you wire the 805's? One dealer told me that it is beneficial to bi-amp using the 4 ohm and 8 ohm; however, another more experienced dealer said that that was unnecessary.... and if anything switch out the jumpers.

Clanceman likes this.
  15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Congrats on the McIntosh! I joined the club on the bottom floor about six months ago with the purchase of an MA6300. Previously I had been using separates: Benchmark preamp and Parasound Halo power amp with my KEF LS50s and just wasn't digging the sound and the preamp didn't afford me the ability to integrate a subwoofer and still use the balanced connections of the DAC. I'd always drooled over the black glass and blue meters since my first trip to a high end store so I pulled the trigger and haven't looked back since. The McIntosh just matches so well with the KEFs! And as much as I had thought I'd love watching those meters glow and dance one day, now that they're here I find myself closing my eyes and getting lost in the music.

Bill

16. Clanceman

The dealer set everything up.

17. richardda

richardda Forum Resident

I've got a MA6600 and love it! Great equipment.

Clanceman likes this.
  18. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I'm jealous. :cool:
    If I upgrade my amp it will be a McIntosh.

jmobrien68 and Clanceman like this.
  19. Clanceman

You won't regret it.

Btw, I'm jealous of your avatar......nice :)

20. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

For you Clanceman C24352-b.jpg

21. Clanceman

Thank you, my friend.

I think I'm gonna play "As Tears Go By" and stare at this awhile. :)

By the way, you better go see the Stones, you lucky dog..........the other thing I'm jealous about.

22. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

You are most welcome. Easy to see why Mick was interested. :)
    I plan on seeing the Stones at Rod Laver Arena. Not so keen on Hanging Rock.
    I would imagine the States will see the Stones again after they tour Europe.

Clanceman and benny like this.
  23. Blarney88

Blarney88 Well-Known Member

Hey Clanceman,
    I too have a MA7900, bought it a month ago to replace an Ayon tube amp. I am using Thiel 2.4SE speakers with it and they finally have the power and low end control they need. The MC Phono is surprisingly good with my Lyra Delos, might not be the last word in detail compared to the AR PH5 it replaced, but it is open, spacious and makes beautiful music which makes listening late into the night a real treat.

I also use the DAC with a Sonos Connect via the RCA connection---I like Pandora when working around the house AND my spouse isn't afraid of the stereo when she can pick her Sonos stations from her computer.

Someone else mentioned it, but it is worth repeating, replacing the jumpers between preamp and amp sections can my make a for a nice improvement---I inserted a pair of Synergistic Research Precision Reference interconnects and have a more open and immediate sound.

I know I've given up my audiophile credentials by using them, but those five tone controls are very useful in turning some really dreadful CDs and vinyl albums into enjoyable music. The MA7900 in general, seems to have the effect of allowing the music to be enjoyed without worrying about equipment, it's not cheap but worth the investment---- this is the one I'm retiring with.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
    Bananas&blow, Clanceman and Humbuster like this.
  24. Clanceman

Loved the entire post, just wanted to highlight this part.......you are so RIGHT about those tome controls. A slight turn of the knob can do absolute wonders! The middle knob goes untouched, but 1st 2 and the last 2 have turned countless CDs into my own remastered deluxe editions. Instant harshness remover!

We're very fortunate dudes. So grateful to have this. I agree.....a legacy piece, will be passed down to my son.

I appreciate making the connection with you, and I'll run what you're talking about, by my stereo guy (who set everything up). Great info, thanks!

I am rather floored by what ends up coming out of the Sonos. I still buy CDs, and said I'd stop, if stuff showed up on Rhapsody that wasn't already in my collection. I have in some cases. I have Sonos connected all over the house, integrated into other set ups.....but what happens with the MA7900 involved is pure magic!

Blarney88 likes this.
  25. kaleidakol

kaleidakol Active Member

I own the 6600. It has 200WPC & sounds wonderful. It is a solid state amp but sounds like it has tubes.

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.