The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's how it's supposed to sound. :D

2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It is true that they cut out all silence and guitar tuning on Gymnasium tape? :mad:

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Amazon has this at $56.32 today. I could have sworn it was $10 cheaper yesterday. Figures, just as I'm able to order it...

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Really? I've only heard it on my computer speakers, but it sounds pretty good to me. Will love to get more feedback from people who listen to it on more ideal set-ups.

Any questions about the mix are inherent to the original mono and stereo versions.

Chris Haley likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Damn, the mono mix is great. I've heard it on various needle drops before, but this tape sourced version is spectacular.

6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

What RalphB said. The new master sounds like it did originally. The MFSL sounds tweaked.

Edit: The stereo master sounds tremendous. IMO.

Chris Haley and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

HAHA! UPS can't find it in their system, AHAHAHAHA! Puts on CD from Peel Slowly And See box set.

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I've been umming and ahhing over buying the super deluxe edition for weeks. Not because of the content -- WL/WH is one of my two or three favourite albums of all time -- but because I've spent a small fortune on Dylan stuff recently. Anyway, it's now down to £42.37 on Amazon UK, so I'm in :D

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

OK gonna have to get it and check it out for myself.

10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Teddy which was your previous preferred version?

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I don't have the new release yet, and I'm only getting the double, but I've got the Sundazed mono box and that's my go to for this from now on. It sounds crunchier and more nasty than ever. That first 10 seconds of "Sister Ray" and the guitar solo on "Heard Her Call My Name" are two of the most glorious moments in rock'n'roll and the mono just sounds pulverizing.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

the mono mix is where it's at.it sounds full-dense-brutal-and beautiful just like the music

ralphb likes this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I've been watching it daily to see if it gets under $45. The banana album was a nice package with the book and I'd like the same package on my shelf for this, which I like even more.

Anyway $56 is the cheapest I've seen it in amazon. Def wasn't $46 yest unless it was a flash

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

mine did not arrive today :mad: hopefully when i get home tomorrow it will waiting for me

15. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

I'm listening to the stereo CD (bought the 2CD Dlx) now on my Bose tower CD player and enjoying it a lot. I have the 1996 Polydor remaster, but only played it once so this album is still pretty new to me.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This isn't particular to any specific mastering, but does anyone else hear "Here She Comes Now" as 'A Shiver Comes Now Huh." Although I know the actual lyric, I alway hear it as that for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    dee likes this.
  17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Actually for digital it was the MFSL! This shows what I was missing. I have the original Verve stereo pressing and the new version sounds like a fuller version of the same.

18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

My super deluxe came with two copies of disc two. Did this happen to anyone else?

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just got email from Amazon.co.uk concerning the price guarantee and price change.
    Luckily the price was decreased on release-date, so as Im preorderer Im going to the some little coins back:cool:

20. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Just got my box set today and it's amazing - especially the mono mix of the album. The outtakes are pretty incredible, but I think they should have included the vocal version of Guess I'm Falling In Love which I remember hearing on that great Velvet Underground bootleg vinyl box set from the 1980's (Everything You've Ever Heard about....The Velvet Underground) or was that a live version of the song? Regardless, extremely impressed with this.

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

What your probably thinking of is the only other non-instrumental/decent-fidelity version of that song.

It's another live version taped off of a radio broadcast special, from the late 70's, that John Cale hosted/guested on.

I believe it's thought to be from either the same day at the Gymnasium as the one on this set, or from the day before/after.

It's a just as good, if not better, performance than the version on this set (which is the same version/source as the one on the PSAS box set).

The overall fidelity is probably slightly lower than on this one, but has the benefit of not suffering the volume fluctuations this one does.

I don't see why they couldn't have thrown it on the end of this set, like they did with the alternate BTSTL.

But, for better or worse, that's just another good reason that bootlegs still exist/are still relevant...

Cake likes this.
  22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

That was too good of a price for me to resist, so I ordered one tonight :D

23. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

the fuzz on "guess i'm falling in love" might be the finest sound ever wrenched/beaten/sucked out of an electric guitar. the best band in the world, bar none.

overall i'm quite happy with this release. it seems fitting that a white light "super deluxe" edition consists of only thirty tracks (and 1/6 of those are variations of "the gift") - the brevity of wl/wh is its greatest strength (even "sister ray" just breezes by with each listen). this record is, after all, the #1 argument against bloated, 60+ minute albums.

now, a self-titled super deluxe seems inevitable, doesn't it? roll on 2014.

DeeThomaz and One Louder like this.
  24. gilbertasm

gilbertasm Forum Resident

So, I Heard Her Call My Name is a different take or just different mix?

25. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Oh man. This is funny. I agree with the guy above: THAT IS THIS RECORD. If you want crystal clarity, you're listening to the wrong album -- hell, the wrong BAND. "Aja" is waiting for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.