The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1963, NEW iTunes release 17. December 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I think I've kept up with all the armchair-attorney we've been playing. However, one thing doesn't remain clear to me. If these 1963 recordings remain unreleased, and lapse into the public domain, they are only PD in Europe, and not worldwide, correct? An American PD label still wouldn't be free to press these up after paying the standard songwriting royalty?

2. http://www.amoeba.com Go to the downloads section. They have been working on this for several years..

http://www.amoeba.com/music/vinyl-vaults/#/view-list/order-date/direction-desc/page-1

Vinyl Vaults
    Vinyl Vaults is our boutique, curated collection of digitized vinyl and 78s, available for download exclusively here! Vinyl is the ultimate expression of an artist's work, and we're doing our best to preserve our history! Enjoy the depth and warmth of these vinyl masters, and for the full sonic impact upgrade to M4A (Lossless) or WAV Files.

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Interesting.

Off the top of my head, because the unreleased recordings have no nexus in the US (weren't recorded here, weren't released here, really have no legal status here), whoever releases them here in the US after they go PD in the EU would own the copyright for 95 years.

That's per logic, and logic has little to do with copyright law.

Unless there's some reciprocal agreement between the EU and US, where if they're PD there they're PD here.

MrRom92 likes this.
  4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Thanks, I'm new to downloading music from specific platforms. Once "New" became hi-rez download only via HDtracks.com, and not as part of the archive series, I had to get familiar with it all.

Still hate iTunes. This new Bootleg Beatles things is automatically lossy because of Apple (the computer Apple, not the record label), correct?

I only have iTunes for these kinds of only-at-iTunes releases. Like McCartney's "I Want to Come Home".

Does iTunes give you an option to download in CD quality at least yet?

Jeff

5. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

256KB rate.

It actually isn't that bad, especially with reference to the source material, which will probably be more like AM radio quality...or maybe just a tad better.

BTW, I believe last year iTunes offered the 1963 Xmas message for free....maybe they'll do the '64 this year.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nope, it's lossy only on itunes. I'm not sure if it's Apple or the record labels who are driving that policy, though. Apple has a lossless format (ALAC) and one would think they would want to promote it if they could.

SoilyCompany76 likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's correct, they would only be PD in Europe. As best I can discern from here, unreleased recordings created prior to January 1, 1978 are considered to be copyrighted as of 1/1/78 in the US, and the term of copyright is life of the author(s) plus 70 years. So unreleased Beatles recordings will not be PD in the US for a LONG time.

MrRom92 likes this.
  8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Makes sense. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a flight to catch... ;)

9. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

AAC seems to push more than a 256 mp3 would. I don't know why or how that's even possible, but no where is iTunes bad quality.

supermd likes this.
  10. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

It seems an odd thing to do to single out a band that, in 1963, was big but may have been a flash in the pan and had only had chart success in the UK similar to Gerry and The Pacemakers at that point - who's tapes weren't protected.

I wonder if Mark found this info out in official paperwork.

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Should be.....last few releases I've gotten from iTunes have been available at about 11 PM EST the night before release.

SoilyCompany76 likes this.
  12. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Got these i think.

13. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Push more? Sorry if I'm being daft but I don't understand, can you explain? :confused:

I once did an interesting test using a lossless file and converted it to 256AAC (as per iTunes) and to a 320MP3. The then phase reversed the original lossless with the lossy just to see which removed the most information. As it turned out MP3 removed far more information than AAC and at a lower bit rate. The AAC didn't remove anywhere near as much audible information as I expected it to either so is my download format of choice where no other lossless option is available and what I use for my Ipod but I'm going off topic here so I'll shut up!

slane, supermd and RobGordon35 like this.
  14. RobGordon35

Here's a question: (feel free to chip in) if… certain boots came from… say the John Barrett tapes and are basically high quality cassette copies of the masters, how much better would an mp3 of the master be? Would it be any better? Really? Seeing as the european cd's that were available in the 90s were…. well cd quality? Is anyone else wondering why they aren't releasing much info about this?

15. RobGordon35

No, please don't! this is interesting. So…AAC is better, then?

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I highly doubt Beatles session outtakes from 1963 are going to be sonically comprised by iTunes quality, which is far better than the hand-wringing about "lossy" files would have you believe. I get that people here want everything in 24/192 or whatever, but iTunes quality is nothing to be ashamed of, and probably more than adequate for this kind of release, particularly for the BBC recordings.

I bought the deluxe edition of New on iTunes because I didn't care about it enough to get it on vinyl, and I find myself less and less inclined to deal with CDs, and it sounds more than fine to me.

JimC and riknbkr330 like this.
  17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

But you did care enough to get the deluxe edition.... :)

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It's called writing on my HTC One and having a few drinks............... :

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yeah, but I didn't want to fool with figuring out which Deluxe CD edition to buy. Not gonna pay a fortune for the Japanese CD or drive to Target to get the Target Special Edition or whatever. Screw all that. Just give me the iTunes deluxe edition with all the bonus tracks, please.

20. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

In my opinion, but you really must make up your own mind

RobGordon35 likes this.
  21. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

AFAIR, The Stones included an IBC EP with Grrrr Deluxe.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You are correct sir. Mick, the old economics student, was probably all over this copyright stuff already.

Bonus disc – IBC demos, 1963
    1. "Diddley Daddy"
    2. "Road Runner"
    3. "Bright Lights, Big City"
    4. "Honey What's Wrong"
    5. "I Want to Be Loved"

905 likes this.
  23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Without looking I couldn't recall if ALL of the IBC demos were released, that's why I said a few. If so, then they are protected long into the future. Ron

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Wouldn't ABKCO own these Ray? Ron

25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, they likely do, but ABCKO was involved in Grrrrr too. And they are under the Universal umbrella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.