The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Not to be rude, but it's somehow very cool that you used a BB album as a coaster to enjoy a Velvet Underground album.

ad180, Dudley Morris and pablorkcz like this.
  2. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

That's a big grey spine.

3. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

the original cd release
    The Cd done by Calbi or was it Drake, don't have it in front me And the Ludwig remaster....both are good but appreciate the new one...waiting for it arrive and have been listening to the auto rip from Amazon....did not get to the mono version yet which should be interesting but will probably be toned down and missing that particular fuzz and distortion so important to the album.....then there is disc 3 for later.......

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Love the new remaster and bonus tracks but hoo-boy that live disc is a rough listen. Oddly, it made my Tannoy sub pop and rumble like crazy last night. Most likely will only play it in the car from here on out...more of a "driving" thing anyway :thumbsup:

apple-richard likes this.
  5. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

I'm struggling to find any differences between the mono single versions of WLWH/Here She Comes Now and the mono album versions.

6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

It ain't hi fi...

7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Just got home from a gig to find my super deluxe set waiting for me. I'm itching to dive in, but I'm not sure my neighbours would thank me at one o'clock in the morning.

8. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Why are they not VU fans? If not sure there is really only one way to find out. ;)

9. stepeanut

"I Heard Her Call My Name" could very easily become "I heard her call the police" at this point.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's not even low-fi.

11. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

mid-fi?

12. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Do it do it do it do it

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I didn't think it was that bad. I love boots that have worse sound than that.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There isn't. I've compared these a number of times between multiple sources and they are the same. On the mono LP master box, it lists "I Heard Call My Name" as being the master for the stereo album, mono album & single. Of course, the single was never released, but it still indicates they weren't bothering to create separate mono mixes for the single. In fact, they hadn't even done it on the 1st album singles. The unfaded "I'll Be Your Mirror" is not how the single was, it was the same as the album. "Sunday Morning" didn't have the short bit of studio talk at the beginning. It turns out that's from the alternate version at the correct speed, found on the 45th Nico set, and was tacked on. I can't remember if "All Tomorrow's Parties" is a different mix or manipulated through mastering, but it's an edit and certainly has a different feel to the song. That's the only single with what I'd call a different version. "Femme Fatale" does have a flatter eq, but it's hardly a different version. My complaint with this type of repetitive material filling out a set isn't that I feel it took the place of better stuff. I'm sure more stuff exists, but I don't believe any of it was available to the record company. It's that they fill 3 CDs with 2 CDs of actual material and charge 3 times what that should cost. "The Gift" vocal version, really? There's at least an argument for including just the instrumental as a number of people may want to listen to it through both speakers without creating it themselves. The 2 people needing to hear John on his own, I think will get adequate satisfaction just by turning the balance knob. Still, as a hardcore fan, the worthwhile stuff is great to have.

15. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

It's not that bad. It's the best sounding Cale-era tape that has surfaced thus far. Vocals are clear.

Mylene and apple-richard like this.
  16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I don't hear a whole lot of difference between disk 1 and the 1996 Ludwig, very similar indeed.

17. stepeanut

The mono mix is fantastic! I've known the stereo for 30 years, but never heard the mono until now. I feared it may be a muddy mess, but the vocals stand out more than in the stereo mix, even on "The Gift", and the whole album sounds more powerful than ever before. I've fallen in love again with an old friend.

Glad I sprung for the deluxe, if only for the mono version. The book feels slight, to me, and I was hoping for more from the extras on discs one and two (not gotten to disc three yet). Also, that piece of card stuck on the back cover is an odd decision; would it have killed them to print the details directly onto the book?

18. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

I'm playing the mono version of this right now and the dog ran out of the room because of the screeching guitar :laugh:

926am and apple-richard like this.
  19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I've played the entire set three times in the past three days. Strangely, every time I do, the cat disappears from the room ….

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just played the live disc, listening to Sister Ray and the way Lou spits the words makes me think that this may never have been topped as far as a radical performance goes. Picture hearing this in 1967 and how violent and obscene this would have sounded at that time. Miley Cyrus is Pat Boone compared to what the Velvets did back then.

Driver 8 likes this.
  21. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It's easy to take off. Though I had to exchange mine 'cuz it pulled up the surface in 2 spots - plus a knife score/dent (the second one was perfect).

If they had printed it right on the surface it wouldn't have looked as good as it does without. It feels more like an art object this way.

I do wish that these box set books would print all the track info on the inner back or front cover though. I hate having to search in the middle of the book somewhere to find track list minutiae.

22. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I'll do a detailed report eventually, but suffice it to say, this comment is at the very least a horrible overstatement and possibly incorrect.

The new version does have less treble than the MFSL. But then all their CDs since the original flat transfers are characterized by lots of treble.

23. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

does anyone actually enjoy getting a book with every new edition of a classic album? The books are the reason I don't get the (super) deluxe versions. How about we put all the information into a separate book that I might actually buy -- and that would probably be better copy-edited than what I tend to see -- rather than apportioning it across releases supplemented with "new" essays by the usual suspects? (I really don't know how these guys come up with different things to say every time.)

24. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Besides Sister Ray being a fold down, what other tracks on this album are fold downs if any? I'm out of the loop on this.

25. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I believe "I Heard Her Call My Name" is as well...

Platterpus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.