“WomanChild”, new album from jazz singer Cécile McLorin Salvant (05/28/2013)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

01 – St. Louis Gal

02 – I Didn’t Know What Time It Was

03 – Nobody

04 – WomanChild

05 – Le Front Cache Sur Tes Genoux

06 – PreludeThere’s A Lull In My Life

07 – You Bring Out The Savage In Me

08 – Baby Have Pity On Me

09 – John Henry

10 – Jitterbug Waltz

11 – What A Little Moonlight Can Do

12 – Deep Dark Blue

http://www.mackavenue.com/artists/detail/cecile_mclorin_salvant/

2. pghmusiclover

Review from the New York Times:

3. pghmusiclover

4. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

i checked with the label, and they've confirmed that vinyl on this release is "definitely in the works."

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

Yes, I had e-mailed them when I had first read about the release and they indicated there would be vinyl -- they just didn't have any idea of an exact date.

6. pghmusiclover

Here's a "Making Of" clip:

7. VenueHost

VenueHost New Member

We are about to sign Cecile to a special performance to be announced this week for aug 23. Other than her sold out June 25 performance in NYC she will not be anywhere near here until later in the Fall except for a brief outdoor appearance at the Charlie Parker Festival and her only venue gig at our very intimate place in Pelham NY. We'd like Cecile admirers to get first crack at this. If you or anyone you know is interested I will keep a small number of tickets aside before it goes public. We seat only 150 and will have two shows only. We are located right outside Manhattan a block from metro north train.

8. pghmusiclover

9. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Went to see her this past Friday night at Longwood Gardens in Chadds Ford, PA.

Nice intimate setting and perfect song selection. If you are a fan of Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan, Cecile is carrying the torch into the 21st Century and and is a must see.

Spent a good deal of time chatting with her after the performance.

10. pghmusiclover

Here's the press release for the vinyl:

http://dlmediamusic.com/2013/09/mac...rin-salvants-womanchild-available-october-29/

Mack Avenue Records Continues Vinyl Release Program with
    Cécile McLorin Salvant’s WomanChild – Available October 29

Label Has Released Seven 180-gram Double LP Sets
    Since 2009 Including Albums from Christian McBride,
    Gary Burton, Kenny Garrett, Stanley Jordan,
    Kevin Eubanks and Yellowjackets
    [​IMG]

Mack Avenue Records is proud to continue their vinyl release program with French-American vocalist Cécile McLorin Salvant. The program has released seven 180-gram vinyl LPs since it began in 2009, beginning withChristian McBride‘s Kind of Brown and then returning in 2012 with McBride’s The Good Feeling as well as The New Gary Burton Quartet‘s Common Ground. 2013 has also seen the vinyl releases of Kenny Garrett‘s Seeds From the Underground, Stanley Jordan‘s Friends, Kevin EubanksZen Food, and YellowjacketsTimeline.“Our commitment to this medium is underscored by our willingness to represent each artist’s work with double LPs,” saysAl Pryor, Executive Vice President of A&R for Mack Avenue Records, “providing music lovers with all of the artists’ performances that are available on their CDs with enough real estate to insure the widest dynamic range possible for each pressing.”

McLorin Salvant is scheduled next in this lineage of great vinyl releases. Her debut album, WomanChild, has received critical acclaim since it’s release earlier this year. The New York Times says, “If anyone can extend the lineage of the Big Three – Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, and Ella Fitzgerald – it is this 23-year-old virtuoso…” The young chanteuse has turned heads at jazz clubs all over the world since starting her professional career just three years ago.

“Like most other music fans, we at Mack Avenue Records have watched with delight the resurgence of interest in vinyl as a medium for music reproduction in the marketplace. We settled on Record Technology Incorporated for manufacturing and Kevin Gray as the engineer responsible for creating the lacquer masters used in the manufacturing process,” explains Pryor. “Mack Avenue Records opted for RTI’s HQ-180 three step process using virgin vinyl and limited runs on the stampers that press the LPs to insure the best possible results. The extra weight of a 180 gram pressing offers a flatter LP, coupling more securely with the turntable, delivering more music with a lower noise floor to the listeners’ home stereo.”

Mack Avenue’s vinyl releases are distributed physically through RED Distribution.

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

This has been low on my wish list, but tomorrow I'll take advantage of the 20% off sale at HDTracks.

12. lock67ca

lock67ca Forum Resident

Wow. Am I ever impressed. Reminds me a lot of Sarah Vaughan

13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Heard her on NPR a while back, i think she's great, have been meaning to buy the album.

14. pghmusiclover

I'm happy to see that Cecilie was nominated for a Grammy for this album! I must admit I am torn between Cecilie, Gregory Porter and Tierney Sutton (and posted this under threads for Gregory and Tierney also)!

Best Jazz Vocal Album:

The World According To Andy Bey - Andy Bey
    Attachments - Lorraine Feather
    Liquid Spirit - Gregory Porter
    WomanChild - Cécile McLorin Salvant
    After Blue - Tierney Sutton

15. robertawillisjr

Buy it, it's great.

Jackson likes this.
  16. robertawillisjr

I've only heard the Porter and Salvant releases completely. I would choose Salvant even though I am a huge Porter fan.

17. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

How's the vinyl?

18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Both Nate Chinen and Ben Ratliff singled out Cecile McLorin Salvant on their '13 top ten lists in this Sunday's New York Times.

Does anyone know if her album was recorded to tape? I'm prompted to ask given its release on vinyl. How are the sonics generally?

19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Excellent sonics on the hires download. Not as stellar as Gregory Porter's, but pretty close.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Intimate and very analogue sounding. An excellent recording and the music is great too.

21. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

Kevin Grey mastered the vinyl

22. pghmusiclover

Cecile has a new album, "For One To Love", due out on September 4, 2015.

[​IMG]

After two sold out nights with the Aaron Diehl Trio, at Ronnie Scott’s in London, Grammy nominated jazz vocalist Cécile McLorin Salvant continues on tour with the news of a new album release on September 4th.

The prolific Mack Avenue Records will release her third album ‘For One to Love’ including five original songs of her own. The album will also include Burt Bacharach’s ‘Wives and Lovers,’ and continues to showcase her deep appreciation of the great Bessie Smith with a take on ‘What's The Matter Now.’ She also sings in French on a song by French singer Barbara from 1965 called ‘Le Mal De Vivre’.

Cécile has also recorded ‘Growlin’ Dan’ by Blanche Calloway, Cab Calloway’s older sister, who was the first woman to lead an all male orchestra and a profound influence on her famous brother.

1. Fog
    2. Growlin' Dan
    3. Stepsister's Lament
    4. Look At Me
    5. Wives And Lovers
    6. Leftover
    7. The Trolley Song
    8. Monday
    9. What's The Matter Now
    10. Le Mal De Vivre
    11. Somethin's Coming
    12. Underling