The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I noticed the difference as well from listening to the sound clips of Here She Comes Now on Amazon. The single mix sounds a little better than the mono album mix.

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

If a rarities edition comes out it would suit me perfectly if it would have the mono album mix only plus the bonus material from discs 1 and 2 from the 3CD set. I don't want the live material on disc 3.

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

That's what made Jim Morrison and The Door's so special when it comes to live material.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There are issues with the set. But I'm not clear on how it could be called "total crap."

First of all, the album itself is an ALL-TIME CLASSIC. It'd be really hard to screw up a reissue of it. But if we're just looking at it on the whole, it includes:

1.) First rate transfers of the stereo and mono versions of the album. Not sure if the stereo is better that the MFSL, but in either case it surpasses the previous Polygram remaster, and is certainly in the same territory as the gold disc. And the mono has never otherwise been released on CD. Glad to learn it matches the high standards of last year's impressive VU&N mono remaster.

2.) Great (if perhaps familiar) bonus tracks, including new mixes of the "extra" material that is far more sympathetic to the mixing style of the era than the ANOTHER VIEW versions of a couple of these tracks.

3.) A wonderful, previously uncirculated version of "Beginning To See The Light."

4.) The Gymnasium show seems to be from the highest generation version of the circulating tape, including the otherwise uncirculating "The Gift" (which, I've argued, upends the conventional wisdom of the origins of the studio track). I'm not clear why they couldn't have corrected the volume fluctuations during the mastering (the bootlegs certainly seemed to do a better job in this regard) but this is still an indispensable show and well worth exploring for anyone who hasn't heard the bootleg.

5. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies on the mono single mixes. I; for one, am convinced that side-A i.e. songs 1-4 of the mono LP are indeed dedicated mono mixes. I also am convinced that the mono single mixes are dedicated.

Platterpus and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

You're right, but I said only almost... :)

For me, with the 1st 1980s CD, the 1996 remaster CD, the V.U. & Another View CDs, and the bootleg, it does seem almost total crap to buy this, but yeah, I didn't mean it as harshly as I sounded..

7. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I think it does.
    Record companies can ignore that it's 2013, and try to make you buy an expensive version of this album because you want a part of it, but it won't work.
    Most people that are still interested in buying this will buy the cheaper version, and get the rest 'elsewhere'.

Platterpus likes this.
  8. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I just compared the mono disc to that of a vinyl rip from the Sundazed box. My first impression is: this mono disc is much less muddy. I don't want to say anything conclusive becuase I love those mono mixes that Sundazed put out, but if this one passes a volume test and can hold its bass like the Sundazed, then for the mono, this one will be the new go-to for me. Stay tuned for a more indepth observation.

marcfeld69 and goldwax like this.
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Not to be mean, but this may be harsh sounding. There's gonna come a time that instead of the consumer bending over backwards for the record labels and their decision making when it comes to releasing product, the record labels will be desperate and scrambling to do things the way the fans want it done or people are just not going to buy and re-buy stuff. So they will be bending over backwards for us. I know some people think that it's real nice of record labels to throw in extra garbage like stickers and other crap just to keep you coming to buy more. I don't want this extra garbage. What has die hard dedication to the record label or your local record store done for you? Just drain your pockets. I just want the music to suit the fans, myself included. We got gouged for over two decades with high priced CD's, and then mid line catalog is reduced to $5 range or a little higher for stuff that's been out for almost 30 years when most people have the stuff already or are downloading it. In recent years the big final cash ins for the record labels with these large rehash box sets is just another way of gouging the customer to buy stuff they already have. Both the majors and the reissue labels are guilty of this. Plus in recent years, quality control has been a joke almost to the point of being absurd. I'm not singling out this VU set as the only example of these problems as it is across the board with all the labels for a few years now.

rnranimal likes this.
  10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

First they're going to sue us, and after about ten years and a gazillion lost dollars in lawyer fees, they'll start bending over backwards for the handful of people still alive who'll be interested in buying quality reissues.

Platterpus likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I really want this set, but more because I like the super deluxe of the banana album, and I liked the coffee table style format of the book - great photos and a good history. and I'll want the third album set, assuming there is one. While WL/WH is prob my favorite VU album, I'll prob never listen to the mono more than for curiosity, and the live disc will prob get played once or twice. So I'm just waiting on a price drop to about $40, got a gift card I'm sitting on.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Currently enjoying the vinyl reissue. A lot.

[​IMG]

marcfeld69 and GetHappy!! like this.
  13. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

same here. i hope lou's unfortunate passing hasn't affected the chances of this happening in any way. it doesn't seem as if the former members of the band have had any major, hands-on involvement in the creation of these sets (i.e. in depth stuff like sequencing, mixing/mastering, what have you), but what do i know. in any case the liner notes/interviews will suffer greatly because the lack of commentary - i've always loved a good lou reed sound bite. his recent words on wl/wh were spot on.

also, if we're going by how these last two sets were made (separate stereo/mono cds) i wonder if they'll have any room for the closet mix on the self-titled edition. perhaps it's interesting/different enough to be held hostage on the super deluxe like the mono mix on this one? live gigs would be a bit superfluous this time around, when we've got 1969 and max's kansas city already.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Personally I can't get enough live stuff from the 3rd album period of the band. If they could just find better source tapes for the Problems In Urban Living boot I'd be happy.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That would be a very acceptable (and probably more realistic) addition to a potential 3rd LP set. But ultimately, I'm still hoping the Matrix material (from the original tapes) makes the cut. Even more, I'd prefer a stand-alone Complete Matrix Tapes box, but I'm pretty sure the chances of that are slim to none.

Any unreleased studio material on top of that would be a bonus. An unbelievably wonderful bonus.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    ralphb likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The live material, despite the volume drop offs, is pretty terrific. But yeah, a Rarities addition that spotlighted the mono mix would be wonderful. The mono really should be heard by any fan of the album, and a single disc version would be very helpful to make that possible.

Platterpus likes this.
  17. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I wonder if a deluxe third album would be a good landing spot for the "missing fourth album" tracks from VU/Another View? Can't see them doing anything else with those...

18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If they ever get to the 3rd album I think the only problem is that there is such a wealth of material that could be used. You have 3 mixes of the album proper, the "fourth album" tracks, and a motherlode of live performances. It could go to 6 discs very easily.

19. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Yes, I see... that's a problem I'd like to have... :)

eelkiller and pdenny like this.
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Perfect place for the tracks, imo.

21. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Never underestimate record labels' propensity to sell more of the same.

22. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

yeah, that's what i thought. question: has there ever been a release of "i can't stand it" without the '80s overdubs? my soul convulses every time the drums kick in.

six discs (or more!) would be a dream come true. problem is, i think, that the third album doesn't warrant such a release in the eyes of "the execs" (if you excuse that vague term). i could sit all night and list the debut's importance and the general mythology surrounding it: has nico, warhol, EPI, "heroin" etc, while wl/wh's main pitch is usually "sister ray" and the punk influences. the velvet underground - while packed with some of the most oustanding tracks in rock history and quite possibly my favorite album of all time - doesn't have the legendary reputation or historical value of its predecessors - just a bunch of really, really good songs. if they're putting out a wl/wh-esque reissue (i.e. 30-35 tracks) a year from now then the track selection must be done extremely carefully (because of the wealth of material you mentioned) so as to not waste any opportunities.

23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Perhaps they can hold the '69 "Lost Album" material for a fourth box, with Matrix and Cole Ave. performances from better sources forming a replacement for 1969 Live as the studio cuts replace VU and Another View. (I offer this suggestion in advance of any new box set companion to the first two, unlike on say the Beatles US albums thread, where so many are graciously offering their own suggestions counter to what has already been prepared and manufactured.)

brianvargo and GetHappy!! like this.
  24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Are you talking about the mono version from the Sundazed LP box? If so, that's not a different mix. Just a fold down they did with some eq or filters. I realize there are those who enjoy it, but I find no use for it and would hate to be paying any money for it.

Chris M likes this.
  25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think it's rather unlikely the 'lost' 4th MGM album material would be grouped with the 3rd album. FWIW a DE edition of the 3rd album was in the works 7-8 years ago and the 4th album tracks were not included. Much better that way as that material is really from a different era of the band. A "definitive" version of the 'lost' 4th MGM album comprised of 60's style remixes/surviving original mixes is a dream reissue.

LSP2003, ad180 and GetHappy!! like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.