For some reason, seeing BARRY GIBB on Saturday Night Live last night made my week..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm just an old softie but seeing that guy do a walk on really made me smile. Actually it made me jump off the couch and yell.

Seeing Madonna and Sir Paul also made me smile.

2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Brought one to my face also. Was good to see him/them.

Ray W likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

4. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Wish Dylan and Bowie had also walked out with Macca!

forthlin, mmars982 and OldSoul like this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

DVR'd here, spoilers!

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Madonna's appearance was...strange. The whole fumbling around for the hypnotizing gold teeth thing...

Yankee8156 and rstamberg like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2 thougths came to mind when I saw him on SNL. Nice to see him stand next to Macca during the credits, as I'm not sure how many times they've ever been photographed together. Also, since he lives in Miami, Gibb must have gone out of his way to attend - US tour dates on the horizon?

89 and 79 are the last times he did anything resembling a tour stateside.

Little surprised he did a skit where his personality isn't portrayed as flattering or accurate. Was Justin playing a living Robin Gibb?

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I felt a little uneasy to hear Timberlake being referred to as Robin..so it was nice to see the real Barry FN Gibb appear on stage..

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I was surprised they didn't have Barry walk out going "No, I'M Barry Freakin' Gibb!" Maybe he wasn't comfortable delivering a line.

I guess Barry's appearance was his tacit approval of Jimmy and Justin continuing to do the sketch even though Robin's dead. I guess they figure it's OK since they're playing the brothers as they were in the 70s.

Hep Alien and OldSoul like this.
  10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was asleep during almost the entire skit but woke up just in time to see Barry singing with JT and Fallon. Very nice.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I didn't get that. What was the joke?

12. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The joke is "how does a 55 year old Madonna look that good?"

13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Nice, I watched Saturday Night Fever afterwards, those were the days!! Time machine

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

What do the gold teeth (or braces or whatever) have to do with that? (I'm just trying to understand; I asked in the SNL thread, as well.)

15. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I agree....Seeing Barry walk on was pretty cool.

16. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Kubrick's eyes about fell out of his head when he saw that. Made me hollar for several minutes about how awesome it was.

Madonna looks amazing.

17. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

What a great moment when Barry comes out. :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Just watched the videos on the link. It warms my heart to see both Barry and Sir Paul.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Barry's walk on was perfect. If he had lines like McCartney (which was fine in that case), it wouldn't have had close to the effect of him just walking out with that big smile. McCartney's done enough things like this lately, and while his spot was cool it wasn't nearly as big of a surprise.

I'm still wondering too what was up with Madonna. She was fumbling with whatever it was (I was thinking a mic battery pack) before she was really even on camera. Then she put it in her mouth & I had no idea what was going on. Maybe some inside joke with Fallon?

20. Regine Hunter

Regine Hunter Active Member

I laughed my ass off at Paul's "Chipmunks" gag.

Madonna look amazing!

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Barry was hitting those high harmonies pretty solid, too. :thumbsup: I don't think there's any way they would have continued with that sketch post Robin without them knowing that Barry was OK with it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought she was putting on big teeth because Barry had big shiny white teeth in the day... :shrug:

23. Oatsdad

But if it's supposed to be purely 70s, why no Maurice?

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well yeah... There's that. But then I never said it was "purely" 70s... After all the guests are not 70s people.

However if Jimmy and Justin had done the sketch initially as present day Barry and Robin I think they'd be less likely to keep it going. Why they did it as 70s Bee Gees but without Maurice... You'll have to ask them!

25. Oatsdad

My take: they did it as Barry and Robin but not Maurice because Maurice was gone when they started and they thought it'd be weird to include a dead Gibb.

So why include one now? Because Robin's an existing part of the series of sketches. I'm sure they knew they'd raise some eyebrows with the inclusion of Robin now that he's gone, too, but I guess they figured it'd be okay since a) he'd been in earlier sketches and b) they obviously got Barry's approval...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.