McIntosh MA7900

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clanceman, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Another happy MA6600 owner as well. Last amp I will ever buy.

Presently using Vandersteen 2CE sig II, however may add some new Bryston speakers in the future.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. iamjaymo

iamjaymo Well-Known Member

Hello all, new member here. I have to admit, though my Luxman L-507u has some pretty blue meters, the allure of the Mac meters has always called me. Anyone offer a comparison between the Lux sound vs the Mac sound? I have heard both and have formed my own opinions but am curious what others think. That 7900 is sure beautiful...

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  3. Fergusdude

Fergusdude Member

Yes indeed, gentle-people. The world is a finer place after my purchase of the
    MA 7900. The 5 band EQ is exactly what I wanted it to be......currently Roger Waters never sounded so good.

Clanceman and Blarney88 like this.
  4. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

In 2001 I bought a c-15, mc 202 and had the 804n. I upgraded to the 803n and it was musical heaven.

I moved in 03 and sold it all to have some money put away. Then I had two kids.

Now finally my kids are big enough to have a real stereo again. So last year I bought Maggie mmg, emotiva usp-1, xpa-200 and a vpi traveler.

It all sounds good but its not the amazing experience I used to have.

I am planning on going back to Mac and b&w in the spring. I think the 6900 or 6700 will be perfect for the 805 and I can't wait.

Congrats on your Mac. It's just a tremendous experience to sit and listen to music from them.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Blarney88

Blarney88 Well-Known Member

Looking for cable choices that have worked with your McIntosh equipment setup. I'm using currently using some MIT cables that I had prior to purchasing the MA7900 and Thiels Just curious to know what you found that works.

6. Andy Morton

Andy Morton New Member

Hi Clanceman...I've recently purchased the MA7900 and a 275. My music source is primarily SONOS. In-Line sources to SONOS include an OPPO BDP-95, iTunes Radio via a new Airport Express, and HD Audio via AUDIRVANA PLUS on a new iMAC with 32GB of RAM. Unfortunately, I can't find any expert help connecting the iMac and Sonos:Connect to my MA7900. Sonos tech support has advised that I leverage the DAC in the 7900 instead of their lesser DAC (and the lesser iMac DAC). I currently have a pair of B&W PM-1's and B&W PM-8's interfaced to the 7900 and 275 respectively. I would love some expert advice as to the best way to connect the iMac to the 7900. The best way to connect the 7900 to the SONOS:Connect. And finally, a solution for independent volume for the PM-8's as they are in an adjacent room as the the PM-1's. (I have a music room with all the gear mentioned and the PM-8's in our dining room which is directly across from the music room via the foyer.) I'd like to control the volume of the speaker sets individually. McIntosh Labs has suggested an in-line RCA Volume Pad between the 7900 and 275....but I'd like something more esthetic to match the Mc gear. DSC_2349.jpg DSC_2349.jpg DSC_2350.jpg

7. Blarney88

I agree with Sonos. i've got my Sonos Connect hooked up to my MA7900's DAC with a digital interconnect with RCA ends---greatly improve the sound. I think you can connect the iMAC with a good quality USB cable into the other digital input on the Mac. I don't know about the speaker switching, but do believe McIntosh used to make a switcher with the McIntosh look, you might find one used. (BTW nice setup!)

Clanceman likes this.
  8. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm forwarding this to my stereo guy, and see if he can help, or get an opinion from the engineer. So I'll send it now, if someone else chimes in with a solution before hand, that would be ok too.

9. Clanceman

Welcome to the forums!

Just seeing some of these posts now. For whatever reason, the alerts seem to be random.

I have not heard the Lux myself. I'm hoping someone might chime in. If not, you can maybe start a thread on the subject.

10. Andy Morton

Andy Morton New Member

Are you referring to a composite digital cable (digital interconnect with RCA ends) ? Sonos recommended a digital cable...either toslink or composite. Thanks for your advice!

11. Blarney88

Yes, the composite digital cable is the one I'd most recommend. To me, the toslink usually sounds a little hard in comparison especially with a really poorly made toslink cable. I have used some of the better Audioquest toslinks with good results. I know there is a risk of being flamed on this site for stating that all cables don't sound the same. However, after spending big bucks on a MA7900 I don't want to compromise its performance with connectors that can't pass on that quality.

12. Clanceman

Andy,

Here is the response that I was seeking, and told you I would get from Kyle Grimm- Audio/Video expert @Chelsea Audio Video in Beaverton, Or. The guy is great, and so is their team of engineers and installers. I've been dealing with them on some level for the past 15-20 years..........

"Would be happy to help out.
    Your buddy will want to hook up his Sonos and his iMac using the digital output from those sources to the Mac integrated amp. The DAC in the iMac and the DAC in Sonos suck. The Sonos connect is a $350 product so you can imagine they would have to cut back somewhere. The goal is to get the digital signal. The, "1's" and "0's" out of those sources to the Mcintosh integrated amps DAC to decode. To do this you will need to take a coaxial or optical digital cable from the Sonos Connect into one of the digital inputs on the integrated amp. There is no special set up required on the Sonos for this to work. The digital outputs are already live. On the iMac you have two choices I believe. You can take the USB out to the Mcintosh DAC or you can use the optical output. On the back of the iMac there in an audio output that's a 1/8" mini output. This can either be an analogue output for headphones or it can be an optical digital output. If using this connection you will need to get a mini to full size optical adapter. You can find these most places. Audioquest makes one as an example. Insert this adapter and then hook a normal size optical cable to it and hook it the Mcintosh DAC. Since you have the choice between USB and optical with the iMac you can experiment with both and see which one sounds better. Once things are hooked up this way the Mcintosh DAC is doing all the work and you will get much better sound and the world will be a better place. :)

The volume control issue is tricky. Inline volume controls can sound horrible and really kill the Mcintosh sound. Since Sonos and the iMac are the main sources you might try a Mcintosh D100. The D100 is a DAC/preamp so you basically get the same DAC that is inside the 7900 integrated but you also get a high quality volume control. Since the Sonos and iMac each have two digital outputs this could work.
    http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=preamplifiers&ProductId=D100

Hook the Sonos and iMac to the Mcintosh integrated amp using coax or optical digital out of Sonos and USB or optical out of the iMac. Then hook what is left from each source to the D100. As an example, if you hook coax digital from the Sonos to the integrated amp hook the optical out to the D100. This way digital is going to both DAC's from both sources. Hook the D100 directly to the MC275 that powers the PM-8's in the other room. You will now have two Mcintosh DAC's, two Mcintosh volume controls, and two Mcintosh amps. The D100 is not inexpensive at $2500 but you get to keep all your sound quality and it will match perfectly with the rest of the gear which was a concern.
    Hope this helps! "

rbp and Blarney88 like this.
  13. Clanceman

Here are the cables that I use.

Honestly, the team of engineers and installers that I work with, headed by Kyle Grimm, who I quoted in post #37, are excellent. I pay them for top notch quality work and direction, and have to say, I didn't know the name of them when I first read your post last night. So, I forwarded your post (anonymously) last night. Here's his response:

"We are using Analysis Plus cables in your system. We have been very happy with them and they sound fantastic. The most well known cable manufacturers are Monster Cable and Audioquest and both have OK cables. The higher end cable brands that most audiophile's lean towards are Analysis Plus, MIT, Transparent and some others. Analysis plus offers incredible sound quality for the money which reviewers from the Absolute Sound and others agree with. Their cables are a patented design but there is nothing complicated with them. They don't use outboard batteries or network boxes. Just a good honest cable available in copper or silver. You can spend a fortune on cables and I have heard all kinds and I am a believer that cables do make a difference. Sometimes for the better and some times for the worse. You should always ask your self in the process of buying high end cables, "would the money I am about to invest in cables have been better put to use and give me better results by buying better speakers or a better amp or better CD player instead?" In most cases the answer is yes. If you are already thrilled with the rest of your system and you feel you have purchased the items you are going to be keeping and enjoying then it's time to do the cable comparisons. We sell Analysis Plus because it gives you excellent sound but leaves plenty in the budget to go towards better speakers or components.

Mcintosh just partnered with Tributaries who makes upper end cables to make their own Mcintosh branded interconnects and speaker wires. I have not heard these yet but hope to soon.

Thanks,
    Kyle "

rbp and Blarney88 like this.
  14. Andy Morton

Andy Morton New Member

THANKS TO ALL

Blarney88 and Clanceman like this.
  15. Blarney88

Thanks Clanceman.

My dealer, Natural Sound in Framingham, MA demoed the speakers and amp with upper end Transparents to good effect. I'll try to get some Analysis Plus and mid-line Transparents to try out in comparison to my MITs. It was interesting to read that Tributaries makes the McIntosh branded cables.(The Tributaries owner used to work at McIntosh.) I have one of the Mac composite digital cables on the Sonos and it is very well made, easy to use and sounds really good.
    I appreciate your response to my question.
    Best regards,
    Barry

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Barry,

You're welcome. Have fun!

17. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

What is the list price for the MA7900?

Trying to find out new McIntosh gear prices is fairly difficult.

18. Clanceman

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  19. Ernest Feist

Ernest Feist New Member

Quick question folks, just got my 7900 and notice a small "pop" from my speakers on power up. Anyone else? Thanks.

20. Ernest Feist

Ernest Feist New Member

21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

22. Ernest Feist

Ernest Feist New Member

Thanks!

23. ejr1953

ejr1953 New Member

In October I upgraded from my NAD Masters Series components to a McIntosh MCD500 SACD player and a MAC6700 receiver and am tickled pink with the sound. The DAC in the MCD500 extracts so much better sound from standard CDs, most noticeable when listening to well recorded cymbals, where you can hear the "timbre". The receiver has a really "warm" yet "fast" sound, and plenty of power to drive my Totem Fire monitors and has a really good on board DAC. We live fairly far from FM stations and the tuner module performs really well, especially when the FM station broadcasts in HD. I am really happy with my purchases!

Clanceman likes this.
  24. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I wish I could join this club. Out of reach for me. But if any of you would like to leave a wannabe audiophile (me) one in your will I would be honored. I have listened to McIntosh equipment many times and always leave with audio envy. If I ever hit the lottery I will be a part of the club. Hey, all it takes is a dollar and a dream. I always have the dream, but I don't always have the dollar.

I enjoy reading about the bliss you have found with your equipment. Jealous, yes, but one day....

Clanceman and rbp like this.
  25. Clanceman

Beautiful!

How are liking.....er loving that turntable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.