CBS to air Beatles 50th anniversary special 2/9/14 "Grammy Tribute"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majorlance, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I feel the same. I went to the one of the first fests in the late 70's in NYC, a couple in the 80's, almost every year in the 90's and all up to about 2005. I just can't justify $55 to walk in the door on Friday night. Just my 2 cents...

2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

From the Beatles official Facebook page:

http://www.grammy.com/news/performers-announced-for-beatles-special

The first performances for "The Night That Changed America: A GRAMMY Salute To The Beatles" have been announced.

Scheduled to perform are four-time GRAMMY winner Annie Lennox and GRAMMY winner Dave Stewart reuniting as Eurythmics for one night only; 14-time GRAMMY winner Alicia Keys with nine-time GRAMMY winner John Legend; three-time GRAMMY-winning group Maroon 5; and seven-time GRAMMY winner John Mayer with four-time GRAMMY winner Keith Urban. Additional performers and presenters will be announced shortly.

The show will tape on Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, the day after the 56th Annual GRAMMY Awards, and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 surround sound on the CBS Television Network Sunday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. ET/PT — exactly 50 years to the day, date, and time of the original event.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I like the idea of Eurythmics re-uniting but the other artists don't interest me at all. I wish they'd just air the original Ed Sullivan Show.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Wow I guess nowadays Grammy winners don't have to be popular or name acts. I haven't heard of this band at all!

5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Be thankful.

mrjinks and Duophonic like this.
  6. emitex

emitex Forum Resident

Would be nice if one of the networks or PBS would show the Maysles' "What's Happening!: The Beatles In The U.S.A." documentary. That ideally much captures the moment perfectly!

ParloFax likes this.
  7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

http://betterlivingtv.blogspot.com/2006/03/salute-to-stan-laurel.html

I wonder if it will be like "A Salute To Stan Laurel" -- I actually saw this at a Sons meeting some years ago, and it was cool to see, but maybe it did have little to do with Stan Laurel...

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Moments like this make me glad I don't watch TV anymore.

Great idea.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

"IF" the infamous "Now And Then" has been actually completed, and "IF" it's Apple Corps. intention to actually release it someday, it seems like this time slot would be the ideal platform for a broadcast world premier. (assuming there's a promo video tied to it) No matter what anybody's opinion is regarding this fabled track actually seeing the light of day, it has to have more value & certainly more intrigue to the Beatles community than Maroon 5 or John Mayer covering "She Loves You".

theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

ALL STAR BEATLES SALUTE!
    All all-star lineup performed Monday night, Jan. 27, at the Los Angeles Convention Center for "The Night That Changed America — A Grammy Salute to The Beatles," which is set to air on CBS on Feb. 9. Among the performances were Dhani Harrison joining Jeff Lynne on "Something," Dave Grohl and Lynne doing "Hey Bulldog," the Eurythmics (reuniting Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox) on "Fool on the Hill" and then mini sets by Ringo and Paul, culminating with them teaming up for "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"/"With a Little Help From My Friends." Bits from The Beatles on Sullivan and other film clips also were incorporated into the two-hour show. Here's the unofficial set list: The Beatles' "All My Loving" from Sullivan, which segued into Maroon 5 doing the song; Maroon 5 on "Ticket to Ride"; John Mayer and Keith Urban on "Don't Let Me Down"; Ed Sheeran on "In My Life"; Alicia Keys and John Legend on "Let It Be"; Imagine Dragons on "Revolution"; Katy Perry on "Yesterday"; the Eurythmics on "Fool on the Hill"; Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley and the Cirque du Soliel troupe on "Here Comes the Sun"; Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne on "Hey Bulldog"; Lynne, Dhani Harrison and Joe Walsh on "Something"; Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"; Stevie Wpnder on two takes of "We Can Work It Out"; Ringo (introduced by Jeff Bridges) doing "Matchbox," "Boys" and "Yellow Submarine"; Macca (introduced by Sean Penn) doing "Magical Mystery Tour," "Birthday," "Get Back," "I Saw Her Standing There," and then "Sgt. Pepper" straight into "With a Little Help" sung by Ringo, followed by "Hey Jude" with Ringo on drums. The house band was basically the same one that backed Ringo on the Grammys telecast, with Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather on guitars, Don Was on bass, Kenny Aronoff on drums and Greg Philliganes on piano. Macca was backed by his own band. Among the celebs on hand, either serving an onstage role or in the audience, were Paul's wife Nancy, Ringo's wife Barbara, Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, Olivia Harrison, Eric Idle, LL Cool J, Kate Beckinsale, Johnny Depp, Peter Asher and Tom Hanks.

This is reprinted from Bill King at Beatlefan

PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  11. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Sounds great and I hope european fans will also have a chance to watch it.

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am glad to hear that they played Sgt Pepper/Friends, I am looking forward to that.

JimC and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

setlist

http://www.examiner.com/article/sta...the-beatles-at-the-night-that-changed-america

Show opened with Beatles on Ed Sullivan doing “All My Loving”
    • … which segued into Maroon Five doing “All My Loving” and “Ticket to Ride.”
    • Ed Sheeran: "In My Life"
    • Keith Urban and John Mayer: “Don’t Let Me Down”
    • Alicia Keys and John Legend: “Let It Be”
    • Imagine Dragons: “Revolution”
    • Eurythmics: “Fool on the Hill”
    • Katy Perry: “Yesterday”
    • Dave Grohl (and Jeff Lynne): “Hey Bulldog”;
    • Jeff Lynne (lead), Dhani Harrison (harmony), Jeff Lynne (guitar): “Something”
    • Stevie Wonder: “We Can Work It Out”
    • Ringo Starr: “Matchbox”, “Boys”, “Yellow Submarine”
    • Paul McCartney: “Magical Mystery Tour”, “Birthday”, “Get Back”, “I Saw Her Standing There”, “Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band” (which segued into) “With A Little Help From My Friends” (with Ringo), “Hey Jude” (finale w/all)
    • The bulk of the songs were done by the band of Kenny Aronoff, Greg Philliganes, Peter Frampton, Steve Lukather and Don Was.
    • Videos in between performances: “A Hard Day's Night,” “Magical Mystery Tour,” “Yellow Submarine.”

PhoffiFozz, MRamble, theMess and 2 others like this.
  14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Looks like everybody is there. Not wishing to open a can of worms here, but wondering if Julian Lennon got an invite, and if Sean elected not to join in on the musical performances.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe I will tune in for the end. From Jeff Lynne on....

theMess likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The dreaded segue. Anything but that.... ;) Arnie

theMess likes this.
  17. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry....

As I'm reading this, I'm saying to myself "Please no Hey Jude, Please no Hey Jude." No such luck. I am so tired of hearing Paul wheel out that song.

Jose Jones likes this.
  18. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry....

But I understand they have to do it for the everyday fan.

JimC and theMess like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Here's the full info and setlist on last night from Billboard. Looks like Ringo did a mini-set without Paul; and Paul did a mini-set without Ringo. And then they both did With A Little Help From My Friends and Hey Jude at the end::

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ey-ringo-starr-reunite-for-beatles-tv-special

Billboard:
    No one plays a Beatles song quite like a Beatle. That lesson was learned Monday night when a reunion of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr concluded a tribute to the Beatles that CBS will air on Feb. 9, the 50th anniversary of their first appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” They still can't be topped.

McCartney and Starr joined forces at the Los Angeles Convention Center on “With a Little Help From My Friends” and “Hey Jude” after watching 13 performances of the music they recorded in the 1960s with John Lennon and George Harrison. Between segments by acts such as Katy Perry, Maroon 5 and Stevie Wonder, vintage clips from the Beatles' films, performances and press conferences were screened along with shots of Beatlemania at its peak.

“At first when asked, I wondered whether it was the right thing to do,” McCartney said during his five-song set with his band, noting he asked a few American friends for the their opinion. “They said you don't understand the importance of the 'Ed Sullivan Show' on America. And I didn't understand until then.”

Producer Ken Ehrlich applied the trademark “Grammy moment” and generated stirring results from the pairings of John Mayer and Keith Urban, Alicia Keys and John Legend, and Gary Clark Jr., Joe Walsh and Dhani Harrison. Less successful was the union of Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley that attempted to marry Indian influences with country guitar licks.

Don Was led a band that included the guitarists Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather of Toto, keyboardists Greg Phillinganes and Rami Jaffee, and the drummer Kenny Aronoff who backed Perry, the paired performers and Wonder.

For the most part, guitarists shined throughout the night, using the material for soulful explorations of themes the Beatles never wholly mined on the records. The Mayer-Urban duel was particularly heated; Walsh used his distinctive tone while precisely and poetically quoting Harrison's solo on “Something.” The show also features another reunion, that of Eurythmics' Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart, who covered “Fool on the Hill."

Among the presenters were Sean Penn, Jeff Bridges, Eric Idle and Johnny Depp; the audience included Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, Olivia Harrison, Tom Hanks and the Civil Wars' John Paul White.

The set list for CBS' Beatles salute:

Maroon 5 - “All My Loving”

Maroon 5 - “Ticket to Ride”

John Mayer and Keith Urban - “Don't Let Me Down”

Ed Sheeran - “In My Life”

Alicia Keys and John Legend - “Let it Be”

Imagine Dragons - “Revolution”

Katy Perry - “Yesterday”

Eurythmics - “Fool on the Hill”

Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley - “Here Comes the Sun”

Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne - “Hey Bulldog”

Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne - “Something”

Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

Stevie Wonder - “We Can Work It Out”

Ringo Starr - “Match Box,” “Boys,” “Yellow Submarine”

Paul McCartney - “Magical Mystery Tour,” “Birthday,” “Get Back,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”

McCartney and Starr - “With a Little Help From My Friends”

McCartney, Starr and ensemble - “Hey Jude”

Arnie

kozy814 likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Grohl and Lynne is what I'm looking forward to the most.

theMess likes this.
  21. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I actually think this is going to be a pretty good program. With the exception of Katy Perry doing Yesterday, I think a lot of these performances are going to be good. I wish that Dhani would have gotten the lead on Something though. Really looking forward to Dave Grohl and Keith Urban/ John Mayer. I read somewhere that Gary Clark Jr. was also playing in this somewhere.

Edit: Thanks Arnold for the update!

22. Arnold Grove

Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

Arnie

Bewaremylove likes this.
  23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

This looks like a pretty good show to me. There is potential here for some pretty nice performances. You get a what amounts to a short concert bringing together the surviving Beatles in a linked set including the Sgt Pepper medley which they have never played live together.

Jeff Lynne will make his contributions sound stellar. Dhani Harrison should be fresh, and Dave Grohl always does a good job. The Eurithmics will undoubtedly do something cool. John Mayer, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Joe Walsh -- these guys are GREAT players. Their contributions should stand up very well. The others have songs that fall somewhere in their wheel-house. Stevie Wonder doing We Can Work It Out is awesome!

If they do this like the Concert for George or the Katrina relief concert, this should be quite good.

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not sure about Katy Perry but who knows,she could surprise. Too bad Oasis weren't involved - they could have done a killer version of I Am The Walrus.

25. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

I was there last night! For me, by faaaaaaaaaar the best non-Paul/Ringo stage moment was Annie Lennox. She just schooled all the young singers there.... she was amazing! And Eric Idle was ruttin' hilarious.

The Paul people will love the show. Ringo got in a jab or two, reminding us that there were FOUR Fabs and that spirit of John and George are always with them when they play. Paul sounded great, Ringo rocked. It was amazing just being in the same room as them (and Yoko!).

For me, the tear-jerker was With a Little Help From My Friends. The audience sang along with the chorus, as Ringo stood next to Paul with images of John and George looming large on the screen behind them. A truly beautiful moment.

bluejeanbaby, Gloi, theMess and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.