CBS to air Beatles 50th anniversary special 2/9/14 "Grammy Tribute"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majorlance, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

I actually think think this looks pretty decent. Gary Clark Jr on While My Guitar Gently Weeps could be really good, and say what you want about John Mayer but he is a hell of a guitar. player.

kozy814 and Bewaremylove like this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Plus when was the last time Ringo played Hey Jude?

3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

the 1968 UK TV clip?

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

How were the tickets distributed? Arnie

5. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, but he will one of two drummers here

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm hoping for a blu-ray (or a least a DVD)

8. This doesn't look like it will be as dire as I first thought. I believe I'll actually watch it, with my finger on the mute button during the first half.

Duophonic likes this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

This look like it could be quite good :D

10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well it could have been worst

11. Arnold Grove

Allen Michael and cwitt1980 like this.
  12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

First, I'm actually now looking forward to this show! I was going to watch it anyway, but now it looks a little more interesting than previously reported (hopefully it was only rumour that Lady Gaga was going to perform!)

Second, in the photos here (which are all great! Looks like Eric Idle will be the host from The Rutles documentary!), I notice that the mural behind the stage in one shot were all the US albums!

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Makes you wonder what Paul thinks of the Rutles now. It always seemed like Paul may have been the one who didn't like the Rutles (but I have no quotes to prove that).

14. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Mostly, they were given to "industry" people. My friend works for Universal and she got me the tix. They also sold some on Ticketmaster. I kept trying (unsuccessfully) on TM when my friend scored me a pair.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Wow, it must have been amazing to have been there. How did Ringo sound? Did they pull of the Sgt Pepper into Friends part well?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  16. Trixie Jones

Yeah, it was perfection. The moment Paul busted into SPLHCB, those of us who were the "real" fans knew that meant Ringo was going to be joining him at the end, so we started buzzing. (I wonder if you'll be able to hear me and my friend screaming Biiiilllly Sheeeeeeears!) At that point, the crowd (as it were) went wild and I lost track of reality for a moment (my first time seeing two Fabs at once... head nearly exploded). Ringo was just lovely, he sounded GREAT!

bluejeanbaby, Gloi, theMess and 2 others like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

:righton:Great! Arnie

18. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Thanks for the report. I might actually watch this. Now, did Paul truly sound great?

Second question: Did Yoko speak? Or Olivia Harrison?

19. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I'm listening to Dennis Miller on the his radio show. He attended the show and met Sir Paul. He said the show was great and singled out Joe Walsh and Gary Clark Jr. as particularly smokin' on WMGGW.

Allen Michael likes this.
  20. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I don't think he ever had a problem (as such) with The Rutles; the problem was that he was doing promo stuff and interviews for the 'London Town' lp, and people kept asking him about The Rutles. Just bad timing, I suppose.

theMess and PhoffiFozz like this.
  21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

FYI. I merged two threads on this same subject. I don't think they merged too awkwardly, but if some posts seem redundant or a little out of context, that is why.

22. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

This actually looks a lot better than I expected! That's why you should never listen to advertising! :)

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Where's Julian?

24. Trixie Jones

I thought Paul sounded fantastic... but I always focus on the voice. I actually think he sounds better live than on his last few recorded albums. And no, Yoko and Olivia did not speak (I know most of you are happy to hear that, but as a Lennon fan, I would have loved to have heard from Mrs. Lennon)... though Yoko was doing a mean boogie during ISHST.

I agree with the quote above... Joe Walsh and Gary Clark were smokin' on WMGGW... but for me, Annie Lennox was still the superstar performance. I was transcended listening to her. I also dug Grohl doing Hey Bulldog 'cuz it's a non-obvious and a funky choice (the only non-obvious song all night, imo), but he and Jeff Lynne seemed to have some problems in the first couple of verses. They didn't re-do it, but Stevie played WCWIO twice, so there must have been some problem (which I certainly didn't pick up on).

Fivebyfive and konut like this.
  25. Trixie Jones

The group of people I was sitting with asked the same question. They kept telling us there was going to be a big surprise at the end (I guess they meant Paul and Ringo together... no surprise, actually), so we were imagining the two Fabs doing Twist and Shout with Julian doing John's vocal part, Dhani doing George's lead and Sean doing John's rhythm.

But, like most Beatle heads, we were just dreamin'....

Marshall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.