Cat may have hurt my stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jack Minor, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Minor

Jack Minor New Member Thread Starter

I was playing a vinyl record this morning and forgot to put the top cover down. My cat jumped onto the moving record and was there for a few seconds before i could get him. The record was not moving or moving very little but the stylus was still on the album. He was not on the stylus arm.

When I got him off the needle lightly skipped over the grooves making a small scratching sound. I have attempted to adjust the weight but the sound is now badly distorted. Also, there is a very narrow window on the weight where it plays at all. At the beginning of the record it will skip over the grooves after several seconds but towards the end it stays in the groove but still plays distorted.

I am thinking that this somehow damaged the stylus.

Does anybody think it could be something else?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Mine ruined a AT 150MLX, it was all it took to knock the styli from it's glue. You probably lost yours as well.
    All was forgiven... And a costly lesson learned :)
    [​IMG]

Dominick, richbdd01, bluesky and 8 others like this.
  3. Jack Minor

Jack Minor New Member Thread Starter

Thanks. I can forgive my kitty as well. He was one of a litter of 14 born on a farm in rural Wyoming. One sibling died when a cow stepped on her and broke her back. Another one disappeared and we think a eagle or coyote got him. My daughter nursed this one back to health. He was very sickly when he was little and had a very bad case of worms. He is currently living with four other cats and is the runt.

Dominick, Alan2, qwerty and 4 others like this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My cats have cost me about $3000 in stereo and guitar cables, they love to chew them. :sigh:

5. c-eling

Oh man, My grandfather kept them around for rodent control on his dairy farm, witnessed all sorts of natures trial and tribulations, good luck with them.
    Cat's love em...

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

My daughter recently moved back home and brought a cat (Stella) with her. I'm waiting for my reaction when (seems inevitable) Stella attcks my Vandersteens.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

:laugh:
    My covers never had a chance being installed...

Aftermath and timind like this.
  8. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

My cat Scratch knocked over a speaker and the side firing drive was ripped open by a crate of records. Still love my cat even after the incident.

Aftermath likes this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I love cats but this is why I don't own one.

cporcp, Dominick, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  10. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Oh, it'll happen-trust me. My wife ended up making me some zippered covers out of black felt and some piping for my 2ce signature II's-we dubbed them Vandersocks. All well and good, but I can still see all those fabric pulls up close. I'm hoping to one day leverage this into a pair of Treo CT's.

11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They really do say that spraying something orange scented on those socks will keep 'em away - can't hurt you to try it!

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

“Please follow Sir Brad. He’s going to give you a private tour of the Pit of Misery.”

"Pit of Misery! Dilly, Dilly!"

[​IMG]

Gavinyl and Aftermath like this.
  13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Time for a dog.

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

It will happen, they look like giant cat scratching towers. Mine survived a few months but not without fret and lots of preventative measures. I found these spiky fences at a 99 cent store that I made a fortress around my 3a signature speakers. However it found a way around them but didn't cause any long term damage. Audiophiles and cats don't mix...

Aftermath and timind like this.
  15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

That stylus is gone, I'm afraid. Madam the cat jumped on my AR with a Signet AM-20, I panicked, (she froze as the platter stopped) I picked her up said "No, No place for the kitty cat". She never attempted again. Many cats love music, certainly Madam did.

timind likes this.
  16. We have 5 cats and a dog along with a Rabbit that thinks its a cat so he spends a lot of his time out and about. I have one music room so the animals are strictly forbidden; Rabbits and cats love to chew cables and i dont want to replace any of my gear!! Its "open house" everywhere else

33na3rd and The FRiNgE like this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

The stereo is in a dedicated room in which Stella has been banned. I try to keep the door closed at all times. Every once in a while I'll notice the door is open and cringe before walking in for an inspection.

18. i know that feeling!!

timind likes this.
  19. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

My cat was allowed to do everything and he liked to sleep on the TT.

timind likes this.
  20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I remember years ago our cat Red sprayed dad's Infinity speakers. Not a happy time. :sigh:

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I've never had a problem with my little fellas.

The FRiNgE and RDriftwood like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

[​IMG]

23. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Me neither.

24. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Beautiful cat!

bluesky, c-eling and The FRiNgE like this.
  25. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I discovered weeks after my first cat adopted me (she was semi-feral) kitties do not like to be commanded (a dog welcomes it) but respond to teaching and gentle reprimands/ reminders. My cat was so well behaved, I carried her into the vet waiting room on my shoulder (as she clutched my neck) Madam sat next to me proudly, as she observed the surroundings and other pets on leashes and in carriers. A leashed dog sometimes overwhelmed in curiosity, tugged to meet Madam, and sometimes did. They would meet nose to nose, although nervously since she disliked dogs... known to attack them. (not a good idea entirely for her own safety and others) If the wait was long, she grew anxious. "Madam, Stay!" and she did, or was permitted to explore the plants in the bay window area. My vet loved Madam. The receptionist always commented in amazement, in particular to her obedience. She was perhaps not so exceptional. The learning curve after she adopted me, was mine.

qwerty and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.