Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Disney won't get big in streaming if they mostly have movies. Friends and family and co-workers who use netflix do it for series and documentarys

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Do you know how many families love Disney movies and would love to be able to stream the Disney/Pixar movies and TV shows on their devices on the go and at home? A lot. :) Plenty of people watch movies on streaming services and have little interest in series or documentaries.

sunspot42 and eric777 like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think Disney is spending $60 billion in order to augment anything. Netflix is worth $69B, by the way. This is a huge, huge investment for the future.

If nothing else, I like that all of Star Wars will be under one roof, and I like that almost all of the Marvel characters will now be controlled by one entity.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Last I read Netflix was worth around $80B and growing. They continue to outspend themselves each year with new investments in original programming (the most by far of all streamers) which is what sustains their subscribers and attracts new ones.

Maybe so, but it isn't up to Disney (I'm not interested, for what little that's worth). Most households will subscribe to maybe a handful of services (but not more) and I have no doubt that Netflix will continue to be one of them.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I imagine that guy from Fargo trying to close the deal. "So, you want to take this studio out for a little test drive. Keep it over the weekend. Don't tell the boss but I think I can let you have for for only 100 billion. She's a real creampuff."

6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

The mouse... The mouse....

[​IMG]

enro99 likes this.
  7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This will be a good thing ONLY IF I can get my Original Unadulterated, Unspecialized, and Un-Lucased Original Trilogy in 4k HDR/DolbyVision.

enro99, Jrr, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The numerous reasons why this is a bad idea for the industry hugely outweigh the positives of having all the Star Wars films under one umbrella (Fox and Disney *absolutely* would have cut a deal on that eventually anyway), or having the Fox-owned Marvel characters in the "MCU." I don't even think the latter is good. We would have had Wolverine high-fiving Iron Man instead of "Logan."

I'm also perplexed as to why anybody who actually likes Netflix content would be happy about Disney taking their stuff off and doing their own thing. Congratulations, now you can pay for two subscriptions instead of one.

I do see the Disney streaming service as a way for Disney to move even closer to completely phasing out physical releases of their movies. No more fancy Blu-ray packages, just pay $10 per month and watch them all on our streaming service.

The Disney service will have lots of content, but it'll still be missing a ton as well. Unless, that is, Disney plans on branding their streaming service as something non-Disney specific and plans to outbid Netflix for *non-Disney* content.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes, Netflix has a LOT of original content that a Disney streaming service would never have. Netflix has such a large presence in the land of streaming that "Netflix" is as synonymous with watching streaming content as "Google" is with doing an internet search. It's almost at "Google it" levels.

Deesky likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:agree:

Seems unlikely any other studio or network would agree to that. Maybe a foreign content producer might, like the BBC.

Yeah, well I'm old enough to remember when the same sort of thing could be said about Yahoo! and AltaVista.

On the Internet, you can be replaced with one click.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Or ignored on this forum. ;)

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Not sure why anybody in the industry or at the consumer level is excited at the prospect of needing a subscription to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, CBS All Access, and Disney Streaming just to have access to still-not-even-close-to-everything.

Presumably, Disney would pull all Fox stuff from all the other services as well. That will make for a weird hodge podge of content. Disney stuff, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and random Fox stuff? I know Disney has their various film subdivisions too (old stuff from Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone, etc.). But it would still not have the variety that Netflix has. A TON of people will no doubt subscribe to Disney, and anybody that leaves Netflix for Disney will see their film/TV tastes dumbed down even further, because Netflix at least still does have a decent amount of documentaries, foreign films, and other non-mainstream stuff (not nearly as much as they should have).

What's next, an Amazon/Netflix merger? Will Disney buy Universal so they do a Hulk film?

I think all the streaming services should get the rights to the old 70s film "Rollerball", because that film pretty accurately depicts corporate consolidation.

[​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I have to admit, I've been missing the Fox fanfare.. adding it back into episode 7 and 8 would be a Lucas-like alteration I would approve of. :laugh:

McLover, DeeThomaz, supermd and 3 others like this.
  14. A new report has come out that 40% of America will have completely cut the cord from cable by 2030. This is Disney's move to monopolize content for their own streaming service.

I can only imagine how much of a premium Disney will demand for monthly access to their vault and other properties like Star Wars. People better hold on to their Star Wars Blu-rays for dear life, because it's going to become very expensive to see them in the future.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

How much would you pay to see Han shoot first???

16. ElevatorSkyMovie

The last time I tried Netflix for a month to see if I liked it, I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch. Nothing but B movie garbage.

The kids like the Nick and Disney stuff, but it's leaving. Hulu has Nick shows now. I have no interest in Netflix, and I suspect it is the same for a lot of other people.

thestereofan and sunspot42 like this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They just raised the monthly price of Netflix a bit. I seldom watch it - I seldom watch any TV - and so I'm considering cancelling it. It's only like $10 a month, but that's $120 a year, which is quite a few Blu-rays of stuff I'd actually like to own...

Jrr likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You mean like, "Touchstone Streaming"? "TouchStream"? Heck even the animated logo could easily be updated to re-brand that.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they restore and remaster all the theatrical versions, I'd be stunned if they aren't available in 4K HDR. I'm not sure if Disney buys into Dolby Vision or not -- there's a lot of politics in this arena. In truth, HDR10+ can do pretty much everything Dolby Vision can do.

BTW, be aware that Episodes #2 and #3 were shot in 1080p, so anything you see will be an uprez. I had a discussion with Lucasfilm HD supervisor Fred Meyer about that, and I was unhappy that they had committed to HD so early on (plus both movies were shot on videotape and then converted to data). Technology is such a moving target, it's hard to know when it's a good time to jump on the train at a given moment.

You assume that the Disney streaming service will just be one channel. What if it's more than one? If you think of a video store as being one "service," in effect they have dozens, even hundreds of "channels" (studios) under one roof. It never bothered me, nor did it feel like a hodgepodge of content. They can subdivide it by genre, studio, years, by actors, by directors, all kinds of stuff.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    daca and kouzie like this.
  20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yes, of course. I wasn't referring to the *presentation* being a hodge podge so much as the actual content, if you actually analyze it, being somewhat of a hodge podge. Assuming Disney *doesn't* buy in the rights to non-Disney stuff to directly compete with Netflix, I'm sure they'll still arrange everything on their service so that it looks like it has more than just Disney and Fox content (assuming the Fox thing happens).

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Check again. Times have changed.

22. ElevatorSkyMovie

Not interested in House of Cards or orange jumpsuits.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There is so much more to Netflix than those two shows. Hey, your loss. :shrug:

24. You know what? All this talk of Disney and Fox and Star Wars and Streaming, sure I'm happy about the Star Wars and Marvel universes being under one roof but on the other hand, as an Australian, I have a feeling we're about to be completely f***ed over big time because streaming services only seem to be a watered down piece of garbage here compared to America or the UK. Even the UK gets a lot less than America and Australia gets even less. So what do I think of all this? Well apart from my rant about physical media (which is a thread in and of itself that got no replies anyway) I think these companies with their billions of dollars need to get their **** together and stop this rubbish!

By the way, there have been no new episodes of "The Simpsons" on TV in Australia in weeks now because of the dispute between CBS and Fox. Whatever happened to "CBS Fox"? They worked so well together on video, but can't work together on TV? No new episodes on over-the-air TV, no new episodes on subscription TV and no streaming options? In my opinion, piracy is LESS of a crime than two companies fighting over petty differences that are resulting in people on the other side of the world missing out on something that makes many people happy! :rant:

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member