How exactly did Frank Sinatra revolutionize singing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgtmono, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

And Jolson. People forget how enormously popular and influential Jolson was.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I agree. According to a PBS special I saw some time ago on great Italian-Americans, what made Frank different is that unlike most singers of his era, he didn't always sing in time with the music. He didn't let the music dictate to him. Rather, he dictated his delivery and had the music serve or follow him.

Whether he got that from Sammy, I have no idea.

Based on my own listening, the band leader is never "in charge" of Sinatra like the way Benny Goodman would enlist a singer to do a number like "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square". When Frank is singing with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra or whomever, Frank is a full partner, if not the "boss".

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    MMM and TLMusic like this.
  3. Also try doing that with any professional opera singer, Bollywood playback singer, rap singer or yodeler who ever lived.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

He revolutionized popular singing by being Frank Sinatra.

DLant likes this.
  5. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Something I've often said. And I know I'll never be able to get that " jaiilll note" in " Ol' Man River"

Franks' songs are as fresh as the first time you hear them, no matter how many times you hear him sing ,no artist can match him.

drew phillips and Bob F like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.