McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

2. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

not only do I like "Wild Life" but I like "Ram" too

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Same here. :edthumbs:

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I seem to listen to Wild Life on an annual basis (it was about a year ago when I finally bought the damn LP after not having owned it for years). Played it on Friday night along with Venus And Mars and Back To The Egg, guess which album stuck out:laugh: "Mumbo" is pure genius, I have to say, even if my wife said "What the hell is he singing?"
    If "Bip Bop" was edited down a bit it would be a lot more palatable, but it's basically like a kid's song- this is the guy who could actually put out "Mary Had A Little Lamb" as a single and just about get away with it. Who is playing all the really off sounding slide guitar on the album, is that Paul? It sticks out on "Love Is Strange" and pops up again on "Some People Never Know". I didn't listen to "I Am Your Singer"- my least favourite song on the album (I took that opportunity to go upstairs for a minute). "Tomorrow" is easily and probably is the only real 'commercial' sounding song on the album...I won't go so far as to say "classic McCartney" but it foreshadows the Red Rose Speedway sound, which isn't a bad thing. "Dear Friend" is a dirge- if anything, I'd lose the horns for sure (it managed to put my four year old to sleep though, he actually paid attention to "Mumbo" and "Bip Bop" but went back to his Lego after that.)

My wife heard it too, by the way: "Aminals in the zoo" on the title track. He says it twice. We both agreed that Wild Life is the closest thing McCartney has to a "cult classic" record in his catalogue. You just don't expect to hear Paul McCartney sounding that loose. It doesn't suit him, at least not over an entire album, I think.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Wild Life-- McCartney fab free and being himself and not worried that every track being perfect. Lazy effort maybe, Paulie is letting it all hang out. That's what makes Wild Life fun.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

I think Paul spends a lot of time on most of his records being free and himself and not worrying about perfection, which some would undoubtedly say is part of the problem:laugh:. I wouldn't say the songs on Wild Life are lazy, necessarily, but they sound so rough- he's letting it all hang out a bit more than usual, and like I said, it doesn't suit him. The rough and tumble rock and roll covers albums notwithstanding, Wild Life is McCartney at his most unpolished, it's a total anomaly in his catalogue that way (I'll excuse the McCartney album because it was supposed to sound that way, home recordings and all). Wild Life would have been better if they'd worked on the songs more. The production is excellent, though, it's a very good sounding record for sure, and arguably better than the actual material deserves...

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agreed!! :righton:

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wouldn't you say the two "McCartney" albums are in that vein as well? They're pretty loose and "free", IMO, without obvious signs of incessant polishing...

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Unpolished and pure McCartney.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

You got that right. "None" was not an option so I didn't vote at all.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

My bad for NONE option on POLL. :winkgrin:

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

This is the first logical reason for liking "Bip Bop" that I have ever heard.
    Myself, I like lyrics and like the way words and music combine to make songs.

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I made an edit of Some People Never Know because I felt the same way. It's amazing what the right length can do for a track.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Exactly the McCartney brilliance of crafting a pop tune.

15. ohnothimagen

And yet Wild Life still managed to sound "less polished" than either McCartney I or II- in spite of the fact that the McCartney albums are mainly homemade albums, on the first one Paul had the good sense to work on the best songs in an actual studio. Wild Life was recorded in an actual studio but it still sounds like the most rush job record he's ever made. Sure, we've pretty much shot down his whole "I was inspired by Dylan, who makes his records in three days" theory, but unfortunately Wings just ends up sounding sloppy -amateurish- on the album. Those slide guitar parts:laugh: Paul ain't Duane Allman, that's for sure...some of the vocal harmonies are little ragged as well. The record deserved the critical drubbing it got, and thankfully Paul learned his lesson for the most part.

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You rebel!

17. I was listening to some Delta Blues (old acoustic stuff), and Paul's acoustic version of "Bip Bop" would have fit right in. Preferably remastered to sound like a scratchy 78 rpm disc.

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

You rang..........

[​IMG]

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I dunno if I agree - I think that "Macca II" essentially sounds like a collection of demos, and most of "McCartney" really sounds "home-made", too.

The problem with "Wild Life" is that most of the songs aren't fully-developed, not that the performances/production stink, IMO...

20. ohnothimagen

Oh, don't get me wrong- the production on Wild Life is excellent, it's a very well recorded album for sure. A lot of McCartney was recorded at home, but like I said at least Paul had the good sense to record the "best" songs ("Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Every Night") properly at Morgan studios. But other than that the homemade quality of the album is part of its charm. McCartney II is equally homemade, lots of recording experimentation going on there, so I still find it amazing that Paul had no plans on releasing that material at all until friends suggested that he did.

As for "collection of demos", well, I'm of the opinion that you could say that about a few McCartney songs...as recorded they end up being well produced demos, granted, but demos just the same, especially where lyrics are concerned. Unfortunately post-Beatles Paul didn't tend to surround himself with people who could say, "That's not good enough, Paul". When people did, it usually ended pretty badly for them...

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This would have made a good double album. With Wings first university live gig as the second LP.​

22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

You left off the checkbox for "None of the Above."

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It's all good stuff except for Mumbo and Bip Bop.

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Recorded at Abbey Road actually (along with Man We Was Lonely a few days later).

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wild Life gatefold, inside cover ...live band photo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.