Anime (JAPANESE ANIMATION)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MacGyver, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

this is an amazing artform, largely introduced to the U.S. via "ROBOTECH" back in 1985, and to a much smaller degree via "STAR BLAZERS" in the late 70's. to me, it's the greatest single art form ever devised by man. i'll provide the info, and let you be the judge on what it may mean to you...

A SMALL CROSS SECTIONAL SAMPLER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WIKIPEDIA articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga

image sites:

http://www.animewallpapers.com/

http://e-shuushuu.net/?page=1

http://animeartbooks.net/

http://gallery.aethereality.net/

http://www.advancedanime.com/

http://www.animegalleries.net/

http://www.minitokyo.net/

2. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I love GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka), the original Robotech series, the first Mobile Suit Gundam series, Star Blazers, and Rurouni Kenshin. I haven't had the time or inclination to explore any further (yet) - I've had some slow delivery issues with Netflix for some of their anime.

3. MacGyver

ROBOTECH was my introduction to Anime, back around 1994. though, since one of the BGMs has a very palpable sentimental effect on me, i'd be willing to bet that i saw at least one episode in my early childhood back in the mid 80's...

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

For me it probably was Project A-Ko although I was into Thundercats in the mid 80's. I remember seeing Aeon Flux on MTV in the mid 90's.
    As an art form I really enjoy Anime not just for the amazing drawings but for the level of detail in the story lines and the whole Japanese take on life which I find fascinating (I have read a lot around their culture and religious beliefs). I do also enjoy reading Manga - it's usually by the PC when moderating and interestingly one study over here showed children got more from stories done as manga compared to the traditional text lead style we use in the West.

Here's an image from Strawberry Panic which is out in Manga, Short Novel (only two volumes) and five R1 DVD's.

Attached Files:

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Man, it took me a lotta years to get over the big eyes and the short skirts. You gotta go through way too much Yamamoto to get to Myazaki.

6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You really think anime is the "greatest single art form ever devised by man"?

7. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I've never understood the attraction to this Anime stuff. All these cartoons of really young asians girls seem more like a sexual thing. What is it about this stuff a grown man would like? I mean don't get me wrong, I watched Voltron in the 80's when I was a kid and thought it was cool (as a kid). I just don't get the desire to look at cartoons of young asians girls. Explain.

8. japes

japes Senior Member

I love anime. Star Blazers and Robtech were an important part of my childhood and I still enjoy both of them to this day. In fact, I have every episode from every season in both series on DVD and VHS. I like a few other franchises and movies (i.e. Akira) but Star Blazers and Robotech (including their original Japanese incarnations) are still tops for me.

On a music note, I am actively searching out the Japanese soundtracks for Star Blazers/Yamato and Robotech/Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeda on vinyl.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

^ For some reason, this girl I think I can relate to. :D

Yeah I remember Robotech, very well. Aired on... 5 was it, in LA? It must have been the only "cartoon" with that level of storytelling and characterization on the air here in that era. Quite epic. I've seen some others here and there but I haven't taken the time to get into anything much. A lot of "genre" elements in a great many Animes can make or break the appeal over here. Some of it really doesn't translate too well, while some of the deliberate changes which are made in "translation" seem to be damaging and misguided. But I'm sure there are things about some of it I'd enjoy.

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Speed Grapher and GTO :agree:

11. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Am I off-base in assuming the greatness of Cowboy Bebop? It's the only thing in this general zone I've consumed, and I quite like it. It's a bit short on the schoolgirls with big eyes, but it does have Faye Valentine...

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Akira really holds your attention as anime movies go and has a large following here. Have the DVD and I think it may be on Blue Ray.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

There's more depth to many of the stories than just a excuse to feature pretty youngish characters of either sex. That of itself wouldn't interest me in the slightest and would also point out there is a whole genre in anime specifically appealing to females with romantic comedy often running through the plot.
    Might I suggest you try watching say Starship Operators which is more a space adventure fighting a evil empire with a collage age crew looking at strategy and inter-galactic politics

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

For how much is that Japanese pressing going? My copy is shot. :winkgrin:

15. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Same here, as well as Star Blazers which I first saw on the Captain Cosmic show. I remember a comparison between Robotech and GI Joe, where the writer preferred the more "real" story of Robotech to GI Joe. The emphasis of the article was that war has a high cost in lives lost, where in GI Joe nobody died and was damaging psychologically to kids watching that show. Major characters died in Robotech and their friends were shown mourning their loss and still struggling to come to terms with it for the rest of the series. As for the newer series like Dragonball Z, Pokemon or Sailor Moon, eh. My niece loves Sailor Moon though.

A pet peeve about anime- when someone calls it Japanime or Japanimation. ANIME PEOPLE!!!

16. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

There's a lot of Sailor Moon out there! :love:

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Despite how the internet may present it, Candy's right; there's far more to Anime than just exaggerated Asian teenage girls; try Full Metal Alchemist, for instance - THERE's a story that'll grab you by the privates and not let go.

My first introduction to anime was Ranma 1/2, in which a teenage boy is cursed by a cursed spring (no thanks to his equally cursed father's stupidity) to change gender when splashed with cold (I think!) water; pile onto that a rapidly-growing pile of unintentional fiancees, and there's your teenage girls, turned on its head entirely.

The best part? There's only about a million different anime and manga series out there. One doesn't grab you? Go digging! Voice actors getting on your nerves? Read the manga! Tired of reading right-to-left? Get over it, and then go watch the anime! :laugh:

18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Well I read right to left instinctively so Japanese sourced manga is ideal!
    I agree. The output of Studio Ghibli ( http://www.onlineghibli.com/ )for starters has some of the finest full length anime around suitable for family viewing. I own a lot of their titles on DVD.

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

My Wife and I am just getting into Anime as an art form, so will be following this thread with interest.

Simon :)

20. MacGyver

ya damn tootin! and you all have to understand why the "School Girl Anime" is so common and popular in japan. the majority of japanese men these days constantly look back upon their school days with wistful fondness. they have entered the "Real World" and found it to be an empty daily grind. the majority of modern japanese women are career-minded, and do not want to be saddled down with a family. as such, there is a population crisis in japan, where the ratio of old to young is highly imbalanced. so imbalanced,in fact, that they say that within ten years or so a DRAMATIC degree of the japanese populace will die-off. bearing these facts in mind, it is clear to see why the japanese look back upon that period of youth when they had many friends and girlfriends, a youthful sense of optimism, and raging hormones with such fondness. they grow up and join the work force and not only do they find that their friends often get lost in the shuffle, but they find that a woman with love and marriage on the mind is a nearly impossible to find commodity. adult life is just one endless litany of hellish commutes and long work hours and wildly overpriced commercial goods. with this in mind, it is suddenly clear why the warm, realistic fantasy of the "School Girl Anime" is so roundly inviting to the average japanese male...

21. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

22. AerosSaga

AerosSaga Forum Resident

I'm shocked no mention of FLCL yet...my favorite...

23. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Okay, I'll offer up some recomendations.

Grave of the Fireflies (Really excellent WWII drama)
    Perfect Blue (an almost perfect thriller)
    My Neighbor Totoro (a classic. absolutely delightful.)
    Princess Mononoke (A really terrific Eco-myth)
    Spirited Away (I second this from an earlier post.)
    Whisper of the Heart
    Ghost in the Shell (the original film, havent seen the sequel or much of the TV series)

24. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

25. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

My daughter LOVES this stuff. I don't get it. I went with her to see the "Cowboy BeBop" movie (the name sounded cool to me), and was never happier to see a movie end. Nonsensical at best.

What's with the obsession with big eyed caucasians (for the most part) anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.