Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 Blu-Ray 3D (Where is it?)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dean1006, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean1006

Dean1006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know why there wasn't a regular BR 3D version of Guardians 2 released? I know Best Buy released a 3D as part of their 4K Steelbook, but beyond that, I'm not finding it anywhere.

It seems like a really odd choice, but I can't really find much discussion about it anywhere. Does anyone have any information about it?

I really thought they'd put one out prior to Christmas, but still nothing. It seems strange to me.

Thanks,
    Dean

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

3D BD is dying off, unfortunately. I love 3D on my OLED TV but the studios simply aren't supporting it as well as they did.

If they didn't put out a mass-marketed "GotG V2" 3D BD in the 1st place, I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever do so.

It's a shame, as the 3D version is easily the best way to watch the movie!

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe it is only available in the US via the Best Buy steelbook version which is now out of print.

4. Oatsdad

It is - the OP mentioned that.

I guess the OP thought it'd get a US release beyond the limited Best Buy edition, but that didn't happen, and I doubt it ever will...

5. Dean1006

The Best Buy steelbook was available in such small quantities, it disappeared immediately. I think employees got the bulk of them around here.

The odd part is that they released the 3D of Spiderman a month or two later. I don't think I'm seeing any examples of recent 3D theatre releases not being made available somewhere on BR.

The only other example of this that I can think of is with The Force Awakens. The 3D was released a month or two later than the standard release.

6. Oatsdad

I managed to get one from a local BB. I was actually in Minnesota the morning of release and tried to get one at the Mall of America BB before my flight - but I couldn't find the damned store! :laugh:

I managed to reserve one at a VA BB - grabbed it on my way home from the airport! :)

Actually. the "Force Awakens" 3D was about half a year later - standard BD was spring 2016, 3D was fall.

Disney also delayed the 3D release of "Jungle Book", though not as long.

Sony put out "Homecoming" vs. Disney for "GotG", so that's the difference in release patterns.

Plenty of new movies aren't available 3D on BD in the US - no 3D "Mummy", "Cars 3", "Valerian", etc. You gotta go outside US to get 'em.

"GotG V2" 3D may've been limited in US, but at least it was available here!

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with "Ragnarok", another Disney-distributed Marvel release...

7. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

I see this all the time - if U.S. Amazon doesn't have it, I check amazon.ca (Canada, pricey this time at about 45 Canadaina Dollars), then amazon.co.uk (BINGO this time - "GOTG 2" REGION FREE 3D a about 18 British Pounds!). So easy to but from them - you can use the same account log-in as your Amazon US account. If all that fails, I try thehut.com (about 22 British Pounds + shipping) and zavvi.com (What's this? 12 British Pounds! Don't know about their shipping). Always click on "product details" thehut and zavvi BOTH claim "region free." I already got mine some time back, I think from Amazon UK.

8. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

the 3d blu-ray release calendar on bluray.com shows the Batman Lego to be released this year and a grand total of zero for 2018. i don't know if that's definitive but if it is, that's a real bummer :(

9. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

Oops! Per above, zavvi.com has GOTG 2 at about 15 British Pounds + shipping - the 12 British Pounds price was for the FIRST Guardians of the Galaxy 3D.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anybody seen anything atypical you wouldn't see the average Joe lining up for...? Pina? Goodbye to Language? The Walk? Hubbel 3D?

11. Oatsdad

That's "Lego Ninjago"! :)

I'm sure we'll still get some 3D BDs next year. I'll be surprised if "Justice League" doesn't have a 3D option, and as I noted earlier, "Ragnarok" will be an interesting case. Like "GotG 2", it has IMAX footage only in 3D, so it really should have a 3D BD, but who knows what they'll do?

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Make sure to ask anybody that doesn't complain about how bland movies are. Those people are the least likely to watch anything except blockbusters. The rest are too busy quietly drowning themselves in movies. :p

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, I "drown myself in movies", to the average of 1.2 per week. But, they're all at the local arts cinema, so....what's a, "blockbuster...?" :D

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So now to watch the movie studios want you to have the 3D experience in the cinema, no longer a home entertainment choice, that's sucks.

GlamorProfession likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It was released in 3D!
    https://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Ga...ords=guardians+of+the+galaxy+vol+2+blu+ray+3d

alexpop likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

No it's not but you can buy it from amazon USA and it plays on USA players. What more could you want?

18. Dean1006

If you read through some of the comments, there have been some issues reported. I don't entirely trust their quality control.

The rest of the Marvel movies that had 3D theatrical versions (before and after) have been released. I really don't see any reason that this one shouldn't be.

19. Oatsdad

Just got the press announcement for "Blade Runner 2049" today - it'll be a 3D release in the US!

I'll be surprised if "Justice League" doesn't get a 3D release too - WB seems to continue to want to support the format...

GlamorProfession likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

A broad US release? :shrug:

21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't get it? We have the internet - you order it online now. It's not like if it's not in a Target, Best Buy or wherever, you can't get it. Of course you can get it elsewhere.
    If it's an all regions disc - it will play on USA players too. I don't see the problem with it. :shrug:

Jim B. likes this.
  22. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

With this title or the format in general?
    So far I've purchased 2 titles this way that weren't available here in the USA.
    The Jungle Book and Frozen - all 3D titles. I was bummed they weren't released in the USA in 3D so I turned to the net and found them on amazon. They were from the UK and were all regions discs. They looked good to me when I played them either in 3D or regular 2D blu-ray. They weren't some dodgy VHS dubs.

darkmass likes this.
  23. alexpop

Guess accessibility factor.

24. alexpop

Million dollar question.
    Are they bringing back 3D TVs ?

25. Oatsdad

Non-US release opens up to more potential problems for playback. As Dean said, mileage varies on how well these n0n-US BDs play on US players.

And it just doesn't bode well for the format if we have to import everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.