Matt Monro - The George Martin Years CD (& appreciation thread) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vzok, Aug 6, 2016.

1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Matt Monro releases pre Parlophone Era. Demos/Radio/Live

Demo/Acetates

Vesti La Giubba (Put on the Costume) (from I Pagliacci)

Piano Demo recorded in Hong Kong circa 1952

All Of Me

How Deep Is The Ocean

Two of the few surviving songs from “Terry Parsons Sings” radio show. Hong Kong

Polka Dots and Moonbeams

I Hear Music

Acetate Demo from 1956

All above available on CD bundled with the Special Edition of “The Singer’s Singer – the Life and Music Of Matt Monro” Except ”I Hear Music“ which was on Matt Uncovered/Rarities

The Nearness of You

Undated Acetate issued on “Words and Music”

I Suddenly*

We’ll have a lot to tell the children

Aladdin’s Lamp

Dreamdust

Publishers Demos recorded between 1957 & 59 issued on Special Edition of “The Singer’s Singer“ or * Matt Uncovered/Rarities

Quite Suddenly

The Ghost Of The Past Ember - EMBS 120

Demos recorded in 1959 for the songwriter Merick Farran and released without Matt permission. Matt sued and won. He hated the recordings and these have never been officially re-issued.

Radio Transcriptions

I’ve Got My Eyes On You

Amor Amor

Birth Of The Blues

Chattanooga Choo Choo

Did You Ever See A Dream Walking

Everything I Have Is Yours

I'll Be Around

It's Only A Paper Moon

I've Got The World On A String

My Funny Valentine

The Nearness Of You

You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me

You're Sensational

Recorded for Reditune a library music company owned by Rediffusion. Issued on Matt Uncovered/Rarities

Devil Moon

It Can’t Be Wrong

I’ve Got You Under My Skin

BBC Stereo Tests. Probably unbroadcast, issued on Matt Uncovered/Rarities

Radio Broadcasts (includes previously unpublished info)

Saturday Club – Saturday 20th December 1958 - BBC Light Programme

(Matt’s songs pre-recorded 16th December 1958)

Accompanied by The Bill McGuffie Trio

Produced by Jimmy Grant

You Make Me Feel So Young

Prisoner Of Love Matt Uncovered – The Rarer Monro

Saturday Club – Saturday 21st March 1959 - BBC Light Programme

(Matt’s songs pre-recorded 16th March 1959)

Produced by Jimmy Grant

This Is Real, This Is Love

I Remember It Well – with June Marlow

French Poodle Heart Of A Man - Night Owl NOMCD 101

Saturday Club – Saturday 16th May 1959 - BBC Light Programme

(Matt’s songs pre-recorded 11th May 1959)

Produced by Jimmy Grant

Say Something Sweet To Your Sweet Heart

The Heart Of A Man

Flattery – With June Marlow Heart Of A Man - Night Owl NOMCD 101

Saturday Club – Saturday 20th June 1959 - BBC Light Programme

(Matt’s songs pre-recorded 16th June 1959)

Accompanied by Ken Jones Five

Produced by Jimmy Grant

My Favourite Song

The Heart Of A Man

Come To My Arms Baby

Just One Of Those Things

Pennies From Heaven - with Ken Jones Heart Of A Man - Night Owl NOMCD 101

BeSteVenn, hodgo and adriatikfan like this.
  2. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I don't think 'Prisoner Of Love' from 16th December 1958 is on Matt Uncovered – The Rarer Monro. I only have the single version and the 1963 performance on Matt at The BBC.

Also, I believe the CD you mentioned is called Heart Of The Man. I only point this out because of the trouble I have had tracking it down under the title Heart of A Man.

Its reasonably priced though Amazon Marketplace

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. vzok

vzok Forum Resident Thread Starter

Richard, do you have any information on the US albums like Yesterday and From Russia With Love. A lot of the tracks on them were UK singles.

Was the original intention for those songs to be singles and then the US retrospectively compiled an album from them, or were they recorded for the US album originally? If so why not release the albums in the UK?

4. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

My copy of The Singer's Singer arrived a few days ago. Just curious, but apart from the size difference of the packaging, is the book that comes with "The Singer's Singer 4 CD Set any different between the Long-box version and this later normal square version. I was expecting more pages in the little booklet. I'm trying to find the microscope within the later packaging to read the text, especially the tracklisting on the back of the later "square type" release. If this later version has a cut down booklet, which does not seem to mirror the contents of the CD as it seems so brief in narrative, what will I be missing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Not sure the publishers of these otherwise excellent sets really thought about the likely age of its audience. :)

Great Music Lover likes this.
  6. Great Music Lover

Indeed. The only slight positive is that it is black text on a white background or reversed in some areas of the booklet. I’ve seen some releases that use a strange combination of colours like light pink text on a red background or light blue text on a dark blue background. And to think some of these art designers earn loads of dosh. Ah the fun of getting old eh. You gotta laugh!!

RMoore likes this.
  7. Great Music Lover

Just got around to looking at the booklet inside "Matt Uncovered" and on the track listing details, they have used a light grey text on a white background, and the text is even smaller. Of course the designers are probably viewing it on a giant Mac screen.

voles likes this.
  8. vzok

The original “Singer’s Singer” had a larger book. The re-release skipped that book partly because by then the full Matt biography had been released and also the price of the second version was much lower. The re-release has been remastered since the 2001 version.

9. Great Music Lover

So are you saying that the book in the old version contained more biography info or more recording session data.

10. vzok

I’ve not seen the old book but I believe it was a mini biography.

11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

If you want a biography, you can't do better than The Singer's Singer - Special Reserve. You can get it for a reasonable price if you look around the usual marketplaces. This handsome publication not only has the full biography by Michelle Monro and a CD of otherwise unreleased goodies - it also has the excellent and more readable Sessionography by Richard Moore himself.

12. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Well spotted. That was on the same show and survives, but not on Uncovered and is currently unreleased.

voles likes this.
  13. voles

voles Forum Lurker

So Mirage on the Rarities Collection is the same track as released on Love is The Same Anywhere? Later mastering?

14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Shame.

15. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

That is correct.

voles likes this.
  16. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The majority were recorded as singles and later compiled. there were a few exceptions though. See last paragraph..

Like the Beatles and many other British acts, despite the recordings being owned by a UK company with a US label, Capitol decided to pass on Matt when he first came to prominence. Initially Warwick picked up his earliest Parlophone recordings and then Liberty took them on. Like many US labels they didn't want to replicate the UK releases. They wanted to create their own. All Matt's Parlophone recordings were made available to them and they compiled their own releases. These were

My Kind Of Girl - Matt Monro - My Kind of Girl
    From Hollywood with Love (Also issued as From Russia, but renamed due to the confusion with the film soundtrack) - Matt Monro - From Hollywood With Love
    Walk Away - Matt Monro - Walk Away
    All My Loving - Matt Monro - All My Loving
    Yesterday - Matt Monro - Yesterday

An a compilation. Matt Monro's Best - Matt Monro - Matt Monro's Best

"From Hollywood", "All My Loving" and "Yesterday" had recordings either first released or sometimes recorded especially for the US market. These tracks later found their way on to UK releases in the 60's & 70's, but some didn't get UK release until the 1990's

17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Also correct. I thin it's because the song is called "Heart of A Man" that I made the mistake.

voles likes this.
  18. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The original long box - Poorly mastered version - has a thicker long booklet with a potted biography - Which they printed wrongly and missed out a page of Michele's notes! This was not replicated for the re-issue as by that time Michele's full biography was available. We had no control over font sizes etc. It was at a time when EMI were cost cutting and being forced to use smaller booklets, so notes often were cut or made smaller!

adriatikfan and voles like this.
  19. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Again it was make it small or lose it!

20. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Not just "remastered" as that perhaps sounds like it used he same tapes. It was re-compiled from all the first gen master tapes located both in the UK & US. With as much stereo that existed being used.

21. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Correct

22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Is this a different take to take 9 on The Alternate Monro?

23. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Yes. The recording of "When Love Comes Along" is odd. I'll get round to that (and From Russia) at some point, Although both are pretty much explained in the Sessionography. This version the same backing track as the single, but a different vocal.

24. vzok

All this talk about the various rarities released over the last few years just reminds me how much I enjoy these CDs. There are many tracks on them that I enjoy more than a lot of the studio albums material. Even some of the very early, somewhat unpolished songs are great. I love "Dreamdust".

I still think the finest Matt release is the Complete Singles Collection.

25. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes - a completists dream! However many tracks have been remastered since; some, I believe, more than once. I am also not sure, except in the case of from Russia With Love obviously, how many single versions differ from their album counterparts...

I love all the subsequent collections as well but they leave me wondering what overlaps and what doesn't.

For example is 'I've Got Love' on the The Rarities Collection the same as the take on The George Martin Years?

It's the word 'Rarities' in the CD title makes me wonder in these cases.

However, I fully understand that this not a concern to everyone. I suspect that most normal people just sit back and listen to the lovely music without caring where it fits in the history of Matt Munro's recorded output! :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018