Star Trek and Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quentin Tarantino is apparently working on a Star Trek film. This news is all the buzz today.

"Quentin Tarantino is ready to explore strange new worlds.

The filmmaker has a pitch for a Star Trek film, and he has shared his vision with J.J. Abrams, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Tarantino and Abrams have plans to bring together a writers room to develop a film at Star Trek studio Paramount. Tarantino has an eye to direct the potential project."
    Quentin Tarantino and J.J. Abrams Team Up for 'Star Trek' Movie

Manimal and enro99 like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Tarantino and JJ collaborate on a Trek movie - what could possibly go wrong?

Scooterpiety, enro99, eddiel and 4 others like this.
  3. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

well - if we are going to kill off the series- might as well go totally grindhouse ....can we have like...Stallone in it.....or Arnold...I might even watch that.....heh

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Tarantino is allegedly a big fan of TOS and a huge fan of TNG, so I have no idea what to make of this. A reboot of TNG?

It would be ironic if his Trek hewed closer to the original than JJ Trek or Star Trek: Discovery...

5. Encuentro

Well, they haven't killed off the series. They've revitalized it and have actually brought something new to the table which is what any new addition to a franchise should do. I'm referring, of course, to the phenomenal Star Trek: Discovery. The show is a success. Are you referring to the films?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  6. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

If this comes to pass, I can't see it being anything other than a great film or a terrible one. No in-between, because if he directs it, Tarantino will swing for the fences, as it were. Personally, I hope he gets to do it.

MikeInFla, supermd, DLant and 3 others like this.
  7. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It will be the bloodiest Trek ever. Even bloodier than The Undiscovered Country.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    MikeInFla likes this.
  8. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Uggh I hope not..

boggs likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Because that's what Trek is all about! :rolleyes:

If they want to do another Trek movie, give it to Seth MacFarlane. That one I would watch.

10. Encuentro

I doubt that it would go that route.

Simon A likes this.
  11. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Night before Dawn style please. Make it totally unwatchable. Or put Uma, Samuel, Harvey and Travolta in it. Or do both :)

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wish them luck, but this sounds like a concept for a Saturday Night Live sketch: "what would a Star Trek movie look like if it were directed by Quentin Tarantino?"

They'll need these for sure:

[​IMG]

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Why use photon torpedoes when you can use f-bombs?

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So...they'd be using practical effects? :D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What a odd choice to end his career with ( assuming its his tenth and final film) Kill Bill 3 ( Kill The Bride) would be better.

16. Encuentro

If it's something that he wants to do, more power to him. Based on some of his statements, it sounds like something that he is knowledgeable of and passionate about. He cites "Yesterday's Enterprise" as an inspiration for a potential project. Besides, we're not really sure what the extent of his involvement in this potential project will be. It is all speculation at this point.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. alexpop

Rather Star Trek than Star Wars that's for sure. His once mooted James Bond movie I'd prefer with Michael Madsen as 007.

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. alexpop

QT: favorite Bond film OHMSS.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Quentin uses tons of digital VFX -- it's just subtle. As one example: many of the bullet hits in Inglourious Basterds were CG, and the projection room in the film was on a sound stage with green screen out the windows. The French cabin was on a stage with green screen out the doors and windows. I was amazed by the digital blood trickling down actors faces -- also CG. The fire scene was practical and augmented with CG and composites. Amazing work.

Tarantino has said his tenth film will be his last theatrical release, but I bet he could still do any Netflix or Amazon or Apple TV show he wanted for the next 20 years.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm good with this for story. For screenplay and directing, maybe not. :p

21. alexpop

He doesn't watch Netflix.
    Something to do with commitment.
    Dvds ( VHS) tracking them down, you appreciate the movie more. Netflix not really ..get bored.

TheVU likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I suspect if Netflix paid Tarantino $1 million an episode for an original series, with complete creative control, he'd take the money.

23. alexpop

Has QT Sony pictures 1969 based film cast been revealed yet. Speculation but that's about all?

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well sure, but my post was just meant as a joke riffing off the blood bag image you posted.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

So I wonder which Star Trek he's going to do? I expect the cast of the last reboot won't be hanging around waiting for him to finish current projects.

Or is he going to reboot TNG with Samuel L. Jackson as Captain Picard? :laugh:

Rachael Bee and Pete Puma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.