Charlie Hansen of Ayre Acoustics RIP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by htom, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It never ceases to amaze me that there is a never ending supply of drongoes that pay no attention whatsoever to their surroundings whilst driving, and when they are paying attention, make incredibly poor decisions. If only it was just the driver that was removed by Darwinian selection.

2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

:( RIP, Mr. Hansen.

One of the best systems I ever heard in a shop was an Ayre CD deck and integrated, driving some small Vandersteens. High-end musicality, for a pretty reasonable price.

3. I have the Ayre QB-9DSD which I too would categorize in the realm of “high-end musicality.” I’m not sure the price is reasonable, but very few high-end items are.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    bhazen likes this.
  4. bhazen

I think this system was around $10k which, based on the music I was hearing, was very reasonable! :)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. Total of $10,000 for an entire system sounds entirely reasonable in the audiophile world, but not in the real world! I have trouble divorcing myself from both worlds sometimes.

BGLeduc and bhazen like this.
  6. bhazen

:laugh: One has to be mindful of who's reading, I guess. I can tell you this: the $10k-ish Ayre/Vandersteen setup was more involving than a $500k-ish Linn/D'Agostino/Wilson system around the same time. The latter was ... boring! In fact, after 10 minutes of that I dashed across the street to hear a demo of a Rega system that probably cost about $5k, which killed it. Those days taught me that money spent doesn't always equate to musical satisfaction.

7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Very sad news.

I was the proud owner for nearly 10 years of an Ayre AX-7/CX-7 combo. I always considered I had ventured really into the high end with that combo. Sounded great and looked great. I retain a special fondness for Ayre gear.

Seemed like a great guy that cared about music and the equipment to play it. RIP.

8. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Really sad. I always enjoyed watching various interviews on YouTube over the last few years of him. You can tell a good human being with a passion for his career.

9. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Me too! Bob at Advanced Audio Systems in Tacoma, Wa. The speakers were the first Quatros sock th AX-7 integrated and both the C-7 and C-5xe mp. Bought the C-5 later on because of the auditions

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

Yup, that's exactly where I heard 'em. I'd asked to hear the most entry-level stuff Ayre made, which was the AX-7 series CD deck and integrated amp. Speakers were 1ci's.

I'm sorry Ayre don't seem to offer a simple integrated and CDP anymore ...

11. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Yeah everything is 8k and up without interconnects, power cords etc.

bhazen likes this.
  12. No, but they offer the Codex which if you are a headphone listener covers DAC and amplification duties nicely.

scotpagel and bhazen like this.
  13. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I really think my next integrated will be a used AX-5 Twenty off of Audiogon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.