Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

An interesting tidbit about the new box set, someone on Facebook said that their copy of "Instant Replay" in the new box set is missing "The Girl I Left Behind Me." Well I haven't played it yet but took mine out to look and sure enough there are only five bands on Side Two where there should be six. Another mix-up ala the recent John Lennon vinyl box set?

I guess it doesn't really bother me too much but I wonder if Rhino will send out replacement discs?

Some others on Facebook said they had two copies of "Headquarters" and no first album but my set has all the correct albums "Present", lol sorry couldn't resist the lame joke.

PhoffiFozz and FredV like this.
  2. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Same here—only five bands on side two. I also noticed that one of the tracks on side one has a misprinted track time; it says something like "2:4z" when it should obviously say "2:42." I've so far only listened to the debut, but was really happy with how that one sounded (and looked), so I'm hoping these two relatively minor screwups are the extent of the issues. Overall, I'm really happy with this set!

Simon

yellowballoon and BeatleStair like this.
  3. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

best sounding pressings of their lps that I have ever heard. (and I have heard many)

4. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Totally agree, wonderful pressings, with excellent sound!

yellowballoon and BeatleStair like this.
  5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Can someone tell me what are best customer service RSD stores that still have available The Monkees - Classic LP Collection box set so I can order it?
    Apppreciate all the selections from the one's that bought this, thanks!

6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

If my Instant Replay lp is missing a track, I sure hope it's "Shorty Blackwell" instead!

BeatleStair likes this.
  7. BeatleStair

Lol, awww I love that track though I like "The Girl I Left Behind Me" more

rswitzer likes this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

What do the LP labels look like?

9. BeatleStair

Like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks!

BeatleStair likes this.
  11. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I was really hoping to get both of these Monkees releases. I found the single for $16.99 Canadian, which was a great price, but the LP box was only available in one of the seven stores I checked out yesterday, and they wanted $350 Canadian! I couldn't believe that price. They'll be sitting on that for a long time, I imagine.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

I'm assuming that Rhino will have an exchange program for the correct Instant Replay LP at some point.

Has anyone emailed Dr. Rhino yet?

And I concur. These are the best sounding LPs I've heard of the Monkees. Well done, Rhino.

Well, kinda.

alexpop and BeatleStair like this.
  13. BeatleStair

I just finished listening to "Instant Replay", "Headquarters" and " Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd" and I have to say these new pressings are just fantastic!

I also agree that this is hands down the best I've heard these Monkees albums on vinyl and I pretty much own them all. The pressings are about as quiet and distortion free as I've ever heard. "The Girl I Left Behind Me" is indeed missing from "Instant Replay" which is too bad as that album sounds so good.

Of the three the "Pisces" album really knocked me over as it is just the best I've heard that album sound. I think this new set will be my go to versions as whoever mastered this set really did a terrific job. There is no fatigue listening to these Lps and they are miles above the Friday pressings of Monkees albums. The covers also look great, much better then I was expecting.

I'd say buy this set before the buying the CD version - which isn't bad mind you - I just think that the mastering for vinyl sounds better on these new pressings as the recording sound full and clean and have such nice bass but don't have that slight treble boost that's present on the CDs.

I'm pretty impressed with this set and wasn't expecting to like the sound as much as I do. I may have to play "Pisces" again before moving on to other albums as it sounds that good.

I do hope Dr. Rhino replaces the "Instant Replay" Lp but I'm very pleased with this set so far and am really happy I bought it!

BenB5150, yellowballoon and factory44 like this.
  14. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I was really hoping these would be ho-hum so I could avoid buying these yet again :), but it looks like I may have to shell out for another set of Monkees LP's.

Have you done any comparisons with Colgems original pressings?

cwitt1980 likes this.
  15. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I emailed Rhino and they are checking for a replacement program. I would email Dr Rhino.

BeatleStair likes this.
  16. BeatleStair

Not yet but I would be surprised if they sounded this full. Colgems pressings vary a lot. Some of the early ones are quite good if you can find them in great shape but some of the later pressings can sound kind of flat.

I was kind of expecting these to sound decent but was surprised at how quiet the pressings are and how dynamic they sound. Very impressed with this set.

dasacco and yellowballoon like this.
  17. yellowballoon

Changes is the best I've ever heard on vinyl. I quite enjoyed playing it last night. Much improved bass. The whole set is a joy to play.

BenB5150, BeatleStair and dasacco like this.
  18. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

Anyone notice that the guitar logo on the Headquarters cover has the hearts? The original did not.

19. David P. Hill

Anyone know of any RSD stores in the US where I can find a Monkees RSD 2016 LP Box set for at a face value and not jacked up?

20. David P. Hill

Do you know who did the remastering on this RSD lp box set? What plant was used for the pressing?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The song they left behind?
    I'd be hugely dissapointed to buy product to find a song missing from its original content. Hope they replace "girl " on later pressings. I'll definatley be checking before I purchase. I can live with typos ( just about).

D-rock likes this.
  22. yellowballoon

Bullmoose.com still shows stock available at Portsmouth NH store. At 10 am eastern time you will be able to buy online 128.97.

23. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I wonder if they will just press new ones to correct the errors? How limited is the current supply?

24. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Good grief! How does a record get pressed with a song missing and it goes unnoticed by the people in charge of listening to test pressings and producing the set?

25. yellowballoon

I believe the initial set was 3000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.