New Hawkwind (1970-1974) Box Set Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

Platterpus likes this.
  2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Holy cow, even if they sound like crap, that's a KILLER deal for someone who doesn't already have the collection!!

rockclassics likes this.
  3. Yeah, and that is some top shelf Hawkwind. All 3 live albums are killer.

rockclassics likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Scope J likes this.
  5. Thanks for the link -I just pre-ordered!
    I needed to get the 1999 party and Greasy Truckers and the sound should be no worse than my EMI remasters on the other disks so I though "why not".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'll wait for the reviews! I don't want to buy the set only to discover it's the same Peter Mew masterings as the 1996 versions. That said, this is a killer price for all this music.

8. DreadPikathulhu

Yeah, I need those two as well and Greasy Truckers was more than this price the last time I looked. Quite a few good box set deals on Amazon.de due to the low euro value.

9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/hawkwind-this-is-your-captain-speaking-albums-70-74/

"The following albums are included: Hawkwind, In Search of Space, Greasy Truckers’ Party (2CD) Doremi Fasol Latido, The Space Ritual Alive in Liverpool and London (2CD), Hall of the Mountain Grill, The 1999 Party (2CD) and this set also comes with a bonus disc collecting rare single mixes called Of Time and Stars – The Singles.

The studio albums (in bold) are new remasters and everything is presented in card sleeves within a clamshell box."

Dino, Mr. H and Pete Puma like this.
  10. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Considering these are new remasters and Mew is now retired, these just may be alright. I'll most likely buy these.

sound chaser likes this.
  11. Lets hope they are an improvement over the EMI remasters from the mid 90s.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

My only gripe is that I've got previous editions of some of these that include bonus tracks, and these apparently don't. I wish they would include those too.

rcdupre likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Although I will be doubling up on about 70% of the material here from what I already have by them if I buy it, this set looks great as far as the musical contents within and various loose ends from my favorite era of this band that I don't have. I'm going to keep my eye on this and see what happens.

14. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'll wait to see the reviews on the remastering job itself before I splurge. Great set and fair price though.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I really like Quark, Strangeness & Charm PXR-5. A Robert Calvert classics. I have all the original pressings of the early catalog and am satisfied with those. The late 1970's stuff is what I would like to see reissued.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It's not missing too much from the 1997 remasters. Most of the tracks from (Disc 11) on this set make up 90% of the bonus tracks on the 1997 remasters. It's only missing the four bonus tracks from the first album, Calvert's "Ejection" single from the 1997 (Doremi...). The three bonus tracks missing from the 1997 Space Ritual are available on Space Ritual Vol. 2 and the Stasis UA Anthology collectively. The other tracks from the first album sans "Cymbaline" are available on other compilations.

AlienRendel and Pete Puma like this.
  17. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

WOW, I'm in. Pre-ordered! Thanks Cerebus!

Rick A.

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Seeing as Hawkind is my favorite band of all time how can i not buy it even though I have everything many times over. It'll be nice having nearly all the singles on one CD. I like to know why the left off Sonic Attack from the singles, it was released as a single although it was only a promo, and the one item i'm still missing from my collection.

19. DreadPikathulhu

I'd extend that all the way through the 80s and Xenon Codex. I've never had a Live Chronicles that played correctly. Maybe we'll get another box set?

Unfortunately, the rights to the Hawkwind catalog are all over the place.

20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Interesting. Is the "Sonic Attack" promo single just an edit or a unique mix?

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

22. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Christ how many more versions of this piece of crap "song" do you need ?? Intersting to me that Greasy Truckers is included, is this the lp with the mighty Pink Fairies et al or the entire Hawkwind set ?

23. All the post '74 albums have been reissued over the last few years on the Atomhenge and Cherry Red label. Remastered with lots of bonus material.

24. The tracklist indicates only the Hawkwind set is included.

25. moops

moops Senior Member

That's even cheap coming all the way to Australia ...... thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.