The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We Can Run does suck though. Embarrassing, even.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It may have a larger ecological theme I've previously missed. It's like a companion to "Throwing Stones." :D

All killer and no filler after that though: Estimated, Terrapin, Jam, Space (maybe these last two are filler) China Doll, Sugar Mag, Baby Blue.

Classic this period screaming Bobby in Estimated. This is what would inspire the screaming Bobby pins I later saw sold outside a Ratdog show.

They just started "Terrapin Crossroads." "Let my inspiration flow when I see Ross James playing rhythm." :biglaugh::hurl:

Hey, if you don't get out of the United States much (I don't, never was a big traveler), check out the Jools Holland Hootenanny 2017 thread. Even if you don't really know what they're talking about, reading it is like being in the UK or Scotland or wherever. But don't post in it if you're from anywhere else or you'll f--k it up. :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

A larger ecological theme that they beat you over the head with six times 'til tomorrow, you mean... ugh. The message is okay by me but the sanctamonious and trite delivery not so much. They were usually much more artful, Throwing Stones included (shipping powders back and forth for instance got to a whole bunch of stuff that was going on while still being at least somewhat not pedantic).

JRM, bzfgt, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  4. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Just take my $$ please ;-)

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I was thinking hard wjat to play today. Time to give this excellent run another listen. Thanks mate. :)

Crispy Rob, SteveFff and US Blues like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I finished the Kreutzmann book. It turned out to have more depth than I would have figured. (Anti-drummer prejudice maybe? :winkgrin: )

I'll get some thoughts together, maybe. Meanwhile anyone who is thinking about reading it should do so.

7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Plowed through Alpine Valley July 89 run and back through the shows on the RFK box set over the weekend and through this afternoon and really enjoyed myself doing it. Summer tour 89 is stronger on the whole than I would have given it credit for in the past.
    Next up on the radar I have some AUDs from July 82 starting with 7/25 Tempe AZ to play through.

Billy_Sunday, nitsuj, adamos and 6 others like this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Oh boy, Jerry botches literally the 1st line of the 1st song (MS Half-Step) on 7/25/82 and then lyrical flubs abound in the Franklin's that follows. Someone on the AUD recording can clearly be heard yelling something about 'you f**ked my wife' at the band about 2 and a half minutes into Half-Step. That is about as 1982 Dead as it gets friends. Will see if they manage to get the train back on the tracks after the set break.

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

glad to see David out there and smilin'

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

Last day of vacation. Listening to 5/8/77 vinyl and reading the new book on the show

This Dancin In the Streets is brilliant. I think it’s my favorite song in the whole show.

11. ianuaditis

Yes, that is great. Hopefully he can get healthy enough to make an east coast swing.

warewolf95 and fishcane like this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Listening to back-to-back tuning interlude tracks from the 12/31/72 Winterland broadcast while cleaning up my office is a surprisingly wonderful ambient backdrop.

Occasionally a KSAN DJ murmurs a station i.d. opening a portal to my long-gone teenage years.

13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

This AM finished Bonus Disc from RT 3.1 (12/30/79)

New Minglewood is meh, Candyman is fine, Ramble on Rose is stout, LL>Supplication is nice and then Scarlet>Fire is vibrant and exciting BUT the Let it Grow is easily the worst version of this song I’ve heard to date. Starts out off kilter and Jerry takes the insect little notes playing to an uncomfortable extreme.

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yeah, you're discovering the dark side of 1979, and the beginning of the downfall.

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Downfall?

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

OK real quick, what is the best version of 6/18/83?

warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The deterioration of Jerry's playing ability due to his overindulgence in china white. Chasing the Dragon. Opiates.

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I can almost feel the coke in the music. As Kreutzmann said in his book (one of the few viewpoints of his I’m all in on), cocaine does nothing positive to the creation of music.

19. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Just started disk 3, Dick's vol 7, Sept 74. I wanted a Dark Star tonight.

20. ianuaditis

I went to put that on the other day, but disc 3 wasn't in the case.

It must be in some other case or one of my wallets, I pulled all of my CDs out of the car, and I remember seeing it, but that didn't help me listen to it.

Possibly my favorite Dark Star ever. I will have to search around some and see if I can join you. :tiphat:

JRM, Matthew Tate, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I hate it when that happens...or the missing lp.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  22. wavethatflag

Oh man, I haven't seen disc 3 of my Hartford '77 set in years. I know it's among my CDs in a case it doesn't belong in. I'm 99 percent sure anyway.

23. ianuaditis

I wish I could say the same for my 1990s copy of Live/Dead. I still have the case...

Matthew Tate, warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  24. wavethatflag

I had the same Caselogic billfold of CDs in my car for years, probably about 5 years. And sometimes I'd bring other CDs into the car and put them back in the wrong cases while I'm driving. Anyway, disc one and two of Hartford are in the billfold, and I can only assume disc 3 migrated back to my CD cases in another CD's case.

I also have other exciting stories.

25. ianuaditis

Yes, we already heard about that time you had to buy a new heel for your shoe. :nyah: