The Upsetters: formerly Little Richard's band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paul.y, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul.y

paul.y New Member Thread Starter

I am a big fan of the band that called themselves The Upsetters and has roots back to Big Walter Price, through Little Richard, Little Willie John, Dee Clark, and into the late 1960's as Grady Gaines World Famous Upsetters. Any information welcome, but I am particularly interested in the AudioLab ep they are supposed to have recorded--anybody ever heard it? Has it been re-issued? I am also interested in background information about their involvement with Mr Wiggles, with whom they did at least one 45 (Bacon Fat) and a subsequent recording on Mr Wiggles label (KP/Cabbabe Greens). But what else? Finally, who are the group that recorded in the late 1960's for ABC as The Upsetters? and do they have ANY connection to the band I'm interested in? I really hope there are fans out there who love this band as much as I do and can help me learn more about some of their discography and band members...(Melvin Sparks?)...

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVIrRwTZGU

Supposedly some of the guys in this vid are members of Upsetters and yes, that is a young Jimi Hendrix on the left. Note that the guy you see in the first few seconds isn't Hendrix. Jimi is visible on the left at around the 10 second mark and stays there for the entire vid.

3. paul.y

further details, hoping for further help

The Upsetters Audio Lab recording was EP2, recorded 09/27/59, K 4376-4380
    though 4380 was not issued. The titles are listed as: Only A Dream, Baby I'm Your Man, My Life, My Loved One, Oh-Wah-Cha-Wah.

The correct title of the Mr Wiggles/Upsetters 45 is Fatback, pts 1&2, on Parkway 104, from 1964.

At some point, probably during the 1960's the singer who fronted the band was Oscar Wright.

Usually the horn line up of the band was two tenors and a baritone sax. Note that the video clip, which is wonderful, interesting and I'm thankful for it, features a tenor, baritone and a TROMBONE. This does not mean it is not an ad hoc line up, since both Mr Wiggles and Grady Gaines (leader, tenor sax) have mentioned that Jimi Hendrix had brief spells in the band...but no recording sessions have ever been mentioned. During this period, the last recording I know of was KP/Cabbage Greens, on Mr Wiggles label, Sound of Soul, and it was released in 1967.

Any information that can fill in the huge gaps will be most appreciated.

4. paul.y

regarding the film clip

I recently sent the film clip to guitarist Melvin Sparks. Melvin spent 30 months with The Upsetters, from 1964-1967. His response to the clip noted that the band is Little Richard's group, with a bass player named "Johny Franklyn"...Franklyn had spent three months with The Upsetters, but was let go because Clifford "Gene" Burks did not like his playing. Mr Sparks did not recognize anyone else in the clip, except, of course for Hendrix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.