Ken Burns' new documentary: The Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I think I heard more swearing on last Sunday's episode of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown than what I heard in uncensored Vietnam series.

2. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

That's funny, I watched that too. I was surprised they got the green light for the ending skit. The episode was pretty funny, I think he just doesn't care anymore and it's fantastic.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Apocolypse Now was a movie. This is a documentary. Big difference.

audiomixer and Brother Maynard like this.
  4. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

My local PBS ran some companion pieces during the Burns' episodes. I caught part of a series of interviews with veterans. A guy was describing how he had just completed training as a mortician, when he was drafted & placed with one of the two main Army mortuaries in Viet Nam.

At one point, he describes seeing The Wall for the first time, and realizing he'd likely had some form of contact with 60% of the Veterans on the wall (~ 34,917). Although not part of Burns' & Novick's work, that was probably the most emotional segment I experienced . . . I believe the Stars & Stripes article below likely interviewed the same Veteran.

For those who prepared Vietnam's fallen, a lasting dread

5. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I just wanted to weigh in on an LBJ reading recommendation. Anyone interested in LBJ has to read all or some of the Caro biographies on LBJ. I am really not a non-fiction reader, and these books grabbed me like few books ever. These are really well researched and jaw dropping in many respects.

6. White_Noise

I'm looking into that for sure. Can anyone recommend a fair Robert McNamara biography that was written post-mortem? I am fascinated by him and I don't know if I revile or admire him.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The DVD on The Fog of War is well worth watching about McNamara

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

absolutely. But I'd be lying if there weren't at least a half dozen times I looked at the wife while I watched it and said 'the horror. the horror.'

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Dallas doesn't have a PBS station without cable?

10. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I don't know if cable's required or not now that you ask. I did end up seeing the whole doc though.

11. White_Noise

I wonder if Donald Rumsfeld had the stomach to make it through the series, or the self-reflection to even care.

smilin ed likes this.
  12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

No reason to believe that he wouldn't have the stomach. He was a former U.S. Navy pilot and son of a Navy veteran, after all.

13. Which documentary is that?

14. The 10000 day war.
    Available at Amazon.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  15. Thank you!

16. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

I believe he is also in multiple episodes of the 13 part "Vietnam: A Television History" that was released in 1982.
    Still the best Vietnam series, in my judgement.
    Available on Youtube and Amazon.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  17. Thank you very much!

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

jamesmaya likes this.
  20. audiomixer

We just finished the series last night & PBS was advertising the Blu-ray set for $129.99.
    My partner felt that the price was outrageous. I said not to worry; it will be found cheaper at some point.
    I was expecting it to go quite this low...especially from PBS. It's almost $75 at Amazon.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Available on the PBS site for $39.99. Today only using code VWAR when checking out.

https://shop.pbs.org/the-vietnam-war-a-film-by-ken-burns-and-lynn-novick-blu-ray/product/VWA600B

22. audiomixer

MikaelaArsenault and jamesmaya like this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

And you’d also be supporting PBS. Win-win.

24. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

finally finished watching this last night. i learned a lot, especially about what was going in Vietnam before we entered the war. that part really got me hooked in to watching. the whole thing was really fascinating. of course much of it was really hard to watch - downright sickening at times. Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon really got reamed and deservedly so i suppose. it was all such a mess. the most emotional part for me was in the last episode when the story of the Vietnam Memorial Wall was told. i've never been there but now i really want to.

25. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Now on Netflix. Pretty good doc but I thought A Television History was better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.