Massey Hall favorite concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

After I'm finished my current one, maybe I could start a Rheos album-by-album. Not sure it would have much attendance, but I'd enjoy it!

edenofflowers likes this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Cool clip. Directed by the great Bruce McDonald!

ytserush likes this.
  3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Brian Wilson
    Lucinda Williams/ The Jayhawks
    Van Morrison
    Ron Sexsmith

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Which Brian Wilson show? I was at the SMiLE show, which was great. Was also at the Lucinda/ Jayhawks show :edthumbs:

Clarkophile likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I just remembered why I may have mentioned Gord twice. I saw him perform once and the other time I saw him in the upstairs lobby during a Christmas choral concert where my brother was part of the choir.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

Great Lake Swimmers are a great band but did they really pack the Massey Hall? Saw them in a small venue last year in Chicago with The Weather Station and there was hardly anyone there.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The headline in the Globe the next day was: "For the leading white blues group, the Cream seemed a trifle thin." My 14 year old brain had to agree, though after all these years I am glad to have been there. I believe the band was close to breaking up, and did sound like they'd had enough.

8. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I've been to Massey Hall once so far, for Neil Young's Honour The Treaties acoustic concert (Diana Krall was the opening act). After a few near misses, it was my first time seeing Neil live. For it to also be at Massey Hall was a real bucket list moment as I love the Live At Massey Hall 1971 album.

The venue has a real character to it, and reminds me of some venues I've been to in Scotland before I moved to Canada. Hopefully the renovation will be done well and won't lose any of the building's charm. I'll be going back there for Robert Plant's concert in February next year, so will get at least one more chance to see it before it closes. Hopefully Neil Young may be able to squeeze in one more concert their before the renovation...

eddiel likes this.
  9. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident

I didn’t realize it at the time, but this was in fact probably part of the "breakup tour".
    In any case, my friends and I really enjoyed it, and I am also glad to have been there.

Electric likes this.
  10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Yes, the Smile show.

Mr. D likes this.
  11. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I saw David Sylvian there a couple of times. That was nice.

12. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Wow
    Too many great shows. First one was Savoy Brown and I have been a fan ever since. Highlights? Multiple shows by King Crimson, then and now, Neil Young, David Gilmour, Elvis Costello with Nick Lowe and Mink Deville, Steppenwolf, Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt, the Kinks, BB King, the lust goes on. A great place to see a show and I have been to hundreds there. Just got tickets to the last show before Massey Hall closes for major renovations (Gordon Lightfoot). I hope they don't mess up the acoustics and character of the grand old lady on Shuter Street!

Mr. D likes this.
  13. Electric

Was that the Street Corner Talking tour or Jack the Toad, or a different one? The SCT concert was phenomenal and turned me on to the band. The JTT tour turned me off the band. Different lead singer and weaker songs, IMO. (I just ordered all the Savoy Brown reissues from CDJapan up to and including SCT.)

14. allbrosca

SCT. Just before it came out I think. Great show and I had a great time!

Electric likes this.
  15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Donald Fagen

16. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Neil Young with Bert Jansch opening, shortly before Bert passed away.

Sean and aphexj like this.
  17. Electric

I remember after the concert walking over to Sams which was open until midnight and seeing the new album on the front rack and on sale, maybe $2.99 or $3.99, and grabbing it.

allbrosca likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Rush, Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot :)

19. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

That should be the bill when Massey Hall re-opens.

sjaca likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like that idea. I’d fly there for that

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i actually saw the stranglers there, on their 'dreamtime' tour !

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have attended so many concerts there.
    A list of the memorable ones.
    Cream 1968
    Johnny Winter 1969...when Edgar was in the band.
    Ry Cooder and Randy Newman 1972 or 73.
    Van Morrison 1968 or 69...the Astral Weeks tour.
    John Prine in mid seventies when he brought Steve Goodman out as a surprise guest.
    Jackson Browne with Bonnie Raitt as the opener, around 1972/73.
    More recent...
    Neil Young acoustic solo show around three tears ago with Diana Krall as the opener.
    King Crimson July 2017.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm trying to remember all the shows I saw there. I forgot plenty from my pre-1994 years in the city and all my ticket stubs have disappeared from that era as well.

But I remember seeing The Fabulous Thunderbirds w/ Jimmy Vaughan . That was a great show. Also saw Harry Connick Jr back then. He put on a good show. Can't recall the years but I'd say around 1989-91.

More recently
    Fleet Foxes in July 2011 were particularly good
    Emmylou Harris with Rodney Crowell and Richard Thompson opening in Mar 2013 was a great show. First time I saw Richard Thompson and I didn't really know too much about his music.

24. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

I’ve been going to Massey for more than 30 years and I have seen some great shows over the years. Some of my favourites were: Buddy Guy ( multiple times )
    Miles Davis
    Nick Cave
    cowboy Junkies
    Ornette Coleman
    Herbie Hancock
    Bettye Lavette
    Oscar Peterson
    Just to name a few. I’ve got tickets for Buddy Guy for April and I was there on Tuesday night to see Emily Haines.

25. allbrosca

And the concert was only $2.99! Cheap Thrills back to school special! I worked the midnight shift at Sam's for a few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.