Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay, I thought this would be fun. Post a clip or episode from a rare or obscure cartoon (either a theatrical animated short or a TV series episode or something along those lines) along with some information about it.

"Little Shop" was a 1991 animated series very loosely based on the 1986 musical film (which was based on the 1982 musical which was based on the 1960 black comedy film- got all that? PHEW!).

Anyway, it was unfunny, terrible, and forgettable. It ran for one season of 13 episodes for two months in 1991 on Fox's Fox Kids block and I don't think it's been seen anywhere since.

It isn't available on VHS, DVD, or download anywhere and has never been re-aired on TV anywhere because... well, it sucks. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Steve Litos likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Thr firs Soviet animated cartoon, directed by none other than legendary film theorist Dziga Vertov. The "happy ending" must be seen to be believed. Rather oddly for Cummunist agitprop, tacked on is a brief commercial for the production company, complete with contact phone number.

Lonecat, spindly, Moshe and 1 other person like this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Looney Tunes gang reimagined as '70s druggies. The director claims to have shown it to both Tex Avery and Chuck Jones. Avery loved it, Jones hated it.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Paul Terry Studios released this sound cartoon a month before Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie, which got all the attention

Johnny Rocker and JamieC like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Paris Vacation segment from The Four Poster (1952)

spindly likes this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Unreleased Howdy Doody cartoon directed by Gene Deitch. Intended as the first in a series, Buffalo Bob Smith hated the modernistic animation and killed the project, even attempting to destroy all prints. One copy managed to escape destruction and turned up around 2005.

gd0, seed_drill, Ginger Ale and 2 others like this.
  7. PaulKTF

[​IMG]

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Can it be something like The Brady Kids?

9. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

This is the stuff of nightmares. Not much pixie dust in this one.

sw61139, NYMets41, iggyd and 2 others like this.
  10. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Maybe not obscure if you are Canadian...

A 1966 National Film Board of Canada short.

KevinP, inperson and bekayne like this.
  11. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

If you want some obscure cartoon shlock, here's an episode of The Fruitties:

This was a Spanish cartoon that was produced by D'Ocon Films (probably best known for coproducing the Pocket Dragon Adventures series in the late 90s) and aired sometime in the late 80s-early 90s (Wikipedia says it originally aired from 1987 to 1989 while IMDB says it aired from 1990 to 1993). This might be one of the worst, most embarrassing cartoons I've ever seen, but if you like having a laugh at crap shows, you'll probably get a laugh out of this too - it's quite fascinating how awkwardly bad this show is in pretty much every aspect, and it's also obvious just from watching it that nobody who worked on the show gave a damn (for example, I recognise three of the voice actors here, and needless to say they did much better performances in other shows so it's obvious they knew they were working on something rubbish and just wanted it over and done with as soon as possible).

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel

chilinvilin likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

...seriously though, this movie was sick and has a great soundtrack.

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

A crossover between Bunny Tonic (a Warner Bros. cartoon TV block on the station France 3) and the French soap opera Plus Belle la Vie (2012)

15. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Probably my penultimate favorite cartoon and it was nearly 40 years before The Simpsons came along.

Obake no Q-taro (friendly like Casper but funny, clever and not wimpy)

andrewskyDE and Ginger Ale like this.
  16. also, this is quite good! circa 1940

you can see how it influenced the animators of the 80-90s Disney films in the first part of the video before the acid kicks in.

CDFanatic, Old Rusty, jbmcb and 7 others like this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

George Pal made this commercial for Philips radios in 1938

gd0 and Ginger Ale like this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

George Pal made this war allegory in Hollywood in 1942

19. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

From 1973. Mission Magic with Rick Springfield

Dudley Morris and keefer1970 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on one of the best Disney TV shows they ever did, The Wuzzles, and it was such a big flop they only did 12 episodes before giving up...

It was a tough show because each character was a completely different color, and if they were all in one shot, I could generally only get 5 out of 6 to look perfect. The producers whined a lot about that. Nowadays, we have the technology to fix it. But Wuzzles was a genuinely charming, funny show for what it was. This was one of the last projects done by Bill Scott, the voice of Bullwinkle -- he died shortly after finishing his tracks for the show, while it was still on the air. He was a really, really nice person, as was Stan Freberg (another voice on the show) and Henry Gibson. Tons of great talent on that series.

21. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

wow - only 12 episodes - they sure had a lot of merchandising for such a short lived show - I still see little storybooks and stuffed animals at the more vintage-y tag sales...

altaeria and ianuaditis like this.
  22. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Skywhales

This animated short was shown in cinemas before the John Hurt/Richard Burton version of Nineteen Eighty-Four and I believe it also aired on Channel 4 around the same time.

Pete Puma and Ignatius like this.
  23. PaulKTF

"The Wuzzles- Hey, it's not as bad as The Popples cartoon...".

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Wow, I remember that show but I had no idea it was only on for 12 episodes! They must have made some profit from the merchandising sales, though... it seemed like lots of kids had the plush toys when I was young.

altaeria and ianuaditis like this.
  25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.