"Roll Up!" 50 Years of Magical Mystery Tour (TV Special)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Yes, the special didn't air until Boxing Day but I wanted this thread up and running before the holidays.

And yes, I already started another thread on the album.

Anyway, so how and when did you first see this? What did you think? Has this opinion changed? Do you own it on its assorted formats (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, BluRay)?

alexpop, davenav and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I have the 1988 VHS. Wikipedia says there was a pre-cert edition from Empire Films, but I have yet to see any evidence of that.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Have it in the boxed set

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I've always loved it, and yes have it on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray. I first saw it when I was in high school and it was shown up on the local college campus with (if I recall correctly) the Washington DC concert.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best double EP, ever !!!
    Bought it real time.

muffmasterh and blutiga like this.
  6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

First saw it in the late 80s - MTV (at least I think it was MTV) showed it late at night over a weekend. Although I had read about it, I was still shocked at just how weird it was. I have the blu-ray now, and usually skip to the music videos. But this year I will definitely get it out on the 26th and watch the whole thing.

7. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yeah, I seem to think this was on either MTV or PBS around 30 or so years ago. PBS used to have a lot of Beatles stuff. I know I definitely rented a VHS no later than mid-1987 from a local rental place but it is always possible that it was a boot. They also had VHS Let It Be.

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I first saw it at 10 p.m. on a Sunday night. It was a Beatlefest tradition, back before the proliferation of home video.

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's a closed thread , but you might still enjoy reading some old posts about it in this older thread along with the new posts in your thread.

When was the first US showing of Magical Mystery Tour and when did you first see it ?

alexpop likes this.
  10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I first saw this at one of those Beatles Movie Festivals that would come around prior to Beatlefest and VCRs.
    These would be 4 1/2 hour affairs at those good old revival movie theaters. You’d see Washington Coliseum, Shea (usually with most of the colors washed out), Tokyo, and numerous promos (that what we called videos!).

The one I saw in South Pasadena, where I now live, showed Magical Mystery Tour twice. Once with just the song parts with bad color, then once again later on in better quality. Since we had no way of seeing it and knowing better about it back in those days, I was confused during the first run of songs! I thought, “Oh, the TV special was just the songs, and the story was only in the LP book!”
    So when it was shown the second time complete, I felt better!
    I thought at the time it was amateurish and didn’t really feel I’d missed anything! I mean it was still the Beatles, but eh!

I have the DVD and am thinking about getting the now way discounted BluRay deluxe set.

I like it now! It’s chaotic and not essential, but it’s fun, especially now that it’s cleaned up visually.
    I can do without Buster Bloodvessel’s dream sequence. I always skip that......

11. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I watched it last night for the first time. I noticed that John was sitting next to George on the bus, and they also entered together and sat next to each other while watching the Bonzo Dog Band perform. I wonder if John picked up on George's discomfort and was trying to get him to be more engaged.

12. alexpop

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

George was holding.

Neil Anderson, Jimi Bat and Vidiot like this.
  14. alexpop

[​IMG]

Wonder how many fairisle short sleeved pullovers were sold after the tv show was aired.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Haaaarible show. But if you cut out all the plot and story and "acting," the bits with just the songs are pretty good.

16. alexpop

Looked amazing when it was aired.
    Crabalocker fishwife, indeed.

Darrin L. likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yep...twenty five years after watching it, I feel like The Beatles still owe me for that fifty minutes:laugh: IMO anybody who likes the Magical Mystery Tour film has no right to slag off Give My Regards To Broadstreet.

Frank likes this.
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Or the Sgt. Pepper movie, for that matter but I'm digress.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're both haaaaaaaarible. But the music bits are pretty good.

20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

21. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Why was it BBC1? What were they thinking? They should have shown it on BBC2 50 years ago today, which was already airing in color; BBC1 went color in November 1969.

22. alexpop

BBC 1 bigger audience.

Vahan likes this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It was shown in colour on BBC2 on January 5th, but the number of people with colour TV in 1967/8 in the UK only numbered a few thousand. The Beatles were a big act in 1967 and BBC1 had audiences around 20 million.

muffmasterh and Vahan like this.
  24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Magical Mystery Tour > Give My Regards To Broad Street > Sgt. Pepper movie

It has to be said: MMT is an underrated cult TV Special (not a proper 'film'). The Beatles influenced the Monkees initially and then by the time of MMT, the Monkees are influencing the Beatles visually. I think if the Monkees put out MMT, it would be better received, then and now......as is Head.

Besides, Martin Scorcese took note of it in film school... :cool:

muffmasterh likes this.
  25. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I first saw it on a budget vhs (Media label?) purchased at a local drugstore. Quality was crap, but I finally saw it in the late 80’s. Wasn’t until a few years later I saw it on acid and it made total sense, until the acid wore off. The Flying sequence was especially “revealing”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.