"Roll Up!" 50 Years of Magical Mystery Tour (TV Special)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love the movie and the songs from it.

2. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Watching the DVD special features, and I think they made a big mistake by leaving Ivor Cutler's spellbinding performance of "I'm Going in a Field" on the cutting room floor.

It's a pivotal scene in the romantic sub-plot between Aunt Jessie and Buster Bloodvessel - without it, that whole story loses something.

Besides that, if the Beatles wanted to go nuts with that Boxing Day TV special then why not go "full bananas"?

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Under those circumstances, I'll bet it was!

4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

they did show it in colour on BBC 2 a week later.

Vahan likes this.
  5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Didn't the big scene between Aunt Jessie and Mr. Bloodvessel get cut out of the broadcast by the BBC? Never understood that move.

Flippikat likes this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

It was probably in late 77. I know I was taking my (now) wife to the films at Eastern Michigan U(back when they were HURONS) because they were hip films and they were cheap. It would be probably 77. Shown in a classroom theatre and .... it.....was........awful. Terrible print, terrible sound, and with the limitations inherent with a 16 mm projector making it worse, it was a stoned magical evening. But if I ever saw MMT again it would be too soon. The movie tainted the music it was so bad. I finally did get the VHS in the 80s and it was a lot better than I remembered but I still found myself syncing up the CD with the videos just to bump up the experience. I now have the latest DVD and I am pleased to have it. And, while I don't consider it a favorite, I now consider it a pleasant hour spent.

Jose Jones likes this.
  7. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I saw it for the first time on Night Flight (which aired on the USA network) in August of 1985. I was still in the first year of my Beatles fandom, and thought it was great. I did get the Media Home Video on VHS for Christmas in 1986, but some of the stuff (excluding the music sequences) didn't hold up well on repeated viewings. Perhaps because the picture quality wasn't up to snuff. I really didn't watch it again, until a few years ago, when I picked up the DVD/Blu-Ray/EP box set, which has a much better picture quality than the Media Home Video version. These days, I'll still watch it occasionally, and enjoy it.

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

What did the Flying sequence reveal to you?

9. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

The world. A lysergic sunrise, a psychedelic perspective, being in the moment and the state of mind made sense. It was twenty something years ago, too old and sold out to remember. It made sense then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.