The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

One of my favorite "bluegrass" tracks:

ianuaditis, Boo Rad and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Full anarchy

Spadeygrove, Scopitone and bzfgt like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

I can do this all night

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'll be in Telluride for next years blues&brews festival. But right now I feel that I picked the wrong festival

[​IMG]

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

6. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Hey all, haven't been around the boards for awhile, thought I'd drop in.

Stumbled onto some November 2017 posts by Mark O'Connor on youtube, which he adds to occasionally.

Looks like he's picked up the guitar again, after a way too looooong hiatus. Still has hands of fire and tone of gold. Several solo tunes posted in this mix.

Don't know if others have covered this elsewhere, but I don't see it here yet. Enjoy!

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Took awhile, but i saw what you did there. :thumbsup: Page break was not your friend.
    That does look like a killer lineup.

bzfgt and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It sure does!

ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. bzfgt

Almost no trad bluegrass though, and this is not a put-down, there are other kinds of related music that are also great etc. But traditional bluegrass is about dead, it seems--who's left? Larry Sparks, Melvin Goins, Ralph, and a fairly large percentage of what Del plays (I assume--I haven't seen him in 8 or 9 years)...

budwhite likes this.
  10. bzfgt

PS I mean I know Telluride has always been only very loosely a "bluegrass" festival; my point is larger though, I remember even 10-15 years ago the pickings being slim. Now James King is dead (and he was edging into schlock before that) and I don't think Karl Shifflett is active (or is he dead too?), I don't know who else there is, but I much prefer to see music like Bill Monroe, F&S, Stanley Brothers, Mac Martin, Vern Williams, Lonesome Pine Fiddlers, Red Allen, Osborne Bros. when they were behaving, Jim and Jesse, etc. played--i.e. bluegrass, as more narrowly defined. Call me a square but that is by far the most exciting stuff to me. Some of the innovations are cool--I liked how Dry Branch Fire Squad did it, even though they were very much inclined to do whatever they felt like. Some of Del's deviations are fine. And, above all, in the "innovator" department, I am a huge, huge fan of the Earl Brothers:

They do their own thing but it has a traditional feel, with a little old time thrown in.

But it's hard to find a fester with the hard stuff on the lineup these days.

clhboa and budwhite like this.
  11. bzfgt

By the way, if any of you guys don't know the Earl Brothers, get straight! Start with Whiskey, Women and Death, which is a masterpiece despite the hipster-friendly title. And I very much mean that literally, it is one of the musical masterpieces of our time. Robert Earl Davis is one of the relatively few instrumentalists in the world whose sound is immediately recognizable (just like Ralph Stanley was, like Jerry Garcia was, I guess Carlos Santana would be an example, Charlie Parker). He plays an archtop but keeps the head really loose, which is seemingly ridiculous and anyway unheard of, but it's not a gimmick--his sound is tremendous. The Earl Bros are probably the only post-1st gen bluegrass band that transcends the genre for me and is one of my favorite bands, overall. There's something almost Krautrocky about them, insofar as they employ repetition to hypnotic effect.

EARL BROTHERS - HARD TIMES DOWN THE ROAD BY R E DAVIS

nmesen, McLover and budwhite like this.
  12. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    bzfgt likes this.
  13. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

14. Hard to find in search engines, but the Bluegrass Album Band did spectacular repertoire work:

15. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Man, I miss the Bluegrass festivals of the 1970's.

I remember going to festivals where I was certain that there couldn't possibly be another festival anywhere else that weekend because anyone who was anyone was there.

lazydawg58, Spadeygrove and bzfgt like this.
  16. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I was JUST about to recommend this.

17. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Yes, the year my band won the band contest...

budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I've been playing bluegrass bass for almost 40 years. It's only as boring as you make it.

Archtop and budwhite like this.
  19. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

That is awesome !!!
    Did you get a chance to mingle with any of my heroes ?
    Bela, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas?
    The hi lite of the festival for me that year was when Sam Bush brought John Oates out as a surprise guest.
    They did this killer reggae version of Maneater.

20. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

Okay, it doesn't have Emily Ratajkowski, but it's still pretty great:

21. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Bluegrass is not a place I habitually go to but over the weekend we had on The View From Here by Matt Flinner, and Unit of Measure by the Tony Rice Unit. Both of them totally smoking... pretty much ripped my head off.

Manzanita (1st Variation)

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If you are a pure traditionalist maybe other wise it looks like a terrific lineup to me.

23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Ever heard Hayseed Dixie ? They play AC/DC

24. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I've been on a Red Allen kick lately. Right now playing a rare l.p. "Classic Recordings 1954-69" Collectors Classics no.21. One of the few or only places to find the his early sixties recordings with Don Reno, Frank Wakefield and Chubby Wise. I highly recommend, besides what Brad mentioned, the two Rebel CD titles, "Keep on Going" and "Lonesome and Blue," which contain the complete Rebel, Melodeon and County recordings. Some of the players on these recordings include Richard Greene, Scotty Stoneman, Frank Wakefield, David Grisman (his first job as a mandolin player in 1965!), Bill Emerson and Chubby Wise. Allen was a huge influence on David Nelson of the New Riders of the Purple Sage, who teamed up with Wakefield, Reno and Wise as The Good Old Boys, which I discuss in more detail in an earlier post. With this group and with the Riders, Nelson covered many Red Allen classics. I also recommend "Bluegrass Reunion" on Acoustic Disc ACD-4. Jerry Garcia, another big fan of Red, appears on three cuts from these May 1991 sessions.

jewelsnbinoculars, McLover and bzfgt like this.