Ac/cd Powerage Deluxe edition - what are the chances?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by van1, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

2. The first 3 Aussie released LPs are absolutely essential if you are an AC/DC fan!

3. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Totally agreed 100%

Scope J likes this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Since there isn't a deluxe edition of Back In Black, I don't see there being a deluxe edition for any of the other albums.

Matthew Tate and Carlox like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have the Aussie High Voltage on vinyl. Great stuff. I was surprised it doesn't include High Voltage!

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I haven't researched extensively, but I'm pretty sure Bonfire and later Backtracks collected every extra song out there (and as far as I know, apart from the demos on Volts, there's no studio recordings in Bonfire that aren't also in Backtracks - excluding Back In Black of course). AC/DC doesn't seem like a band that did more than a few takes on each track, and since the lyrics are pretty much expendable for their style of music, and the riffs were always great, they really didn't need to write more than ten songs at a time for an album and just record them all.

7. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

The later mix w/overdubs and a more radio friendly vibe was done at the behest of Atlantic records who were disappointed with the original (UK) version. Personally, i think the original sounds better....more of a 'f**k you' compared to the augmented and far more commercial second mix. Changing Bons 'Storm drain' line on Down Payment Blues was a travesty that i can't see past no matter how hard i try. Cold Hearted Man was recorded two years earlier and was probably added to pad out the record since 'Damnation' wasn't recorded yet. Still one of Bons best vocals though. I only knew the original vinyl version for years...i was floored when i eventually heard the 'alternative' mix. I had no idea it even existed until five or six years later.

8. InStepWithTheStars

What's the line that got changed in "Down Payment Blues"? Was it only live? I listened to a needle drop of the UK mix and I didn't hear any different lyrics.

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"School Days" (from T.N.T.) is only on Bonfire (the same version of "It's a Long Way to the Top" is, oddly enough, on them both though).

The Doga and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

Oh great. Now I need to buy both sets. Wonder why it wasn't in Backtracks then? Was it just space constraints?

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

So you'd have to buy both sets.

12. InStepWithTheStars

God forbid they ever release the Australian albums on CD again. :rolleyes:

Rockin' Robby and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

The difference is noticeable in the line 'Sittin' on my sailin' boat, sippin' on my champagne'...with 'champagne' being sung more forcefully on the original but the later mix has it sung in a drunken style. Same with the line 'Floatin' on a storm drain', there's a marked difference between the takes of 'storm drain' . ;)

14. InStepWithTheStars

Never even noticed that line. I guess that's why.

15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Oh great, there's another international LP with a different mix I need to look for now.

16. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Just picked up the original Atlantic CD, doesn't sound like a Diament to me, very thin and lacking in bass, think i prefer the Marino for this one.

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Some tracks have more bass than other tracks.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Poor Angus must be going through so much in past few years up until now sadly.
    I`d just recommend the Plug Me In DVD to anybody who has not seen/heard it yet.
    It`s a great visual/audio collection featuring all periods of AC/DC live.

wwright, Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  19. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

For a band with a reputation for being obsessed with money it's strange they've never tried to milk their fans with deluxe releases. Going forward I imagine that will change.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Any preferences on the best pressing, to date?

21. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I like the original UK LP the best, George Peckham mastered, sounds great to my ears. The US original LP is no slouch for what became the standard mix of the album going forward, mastered by George Piros.

wwright likes this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Or, like I did, keep the international, well-mastered cd’s of High Voltage and Dirty Deeds (they make for fun compilations and you get Love At First Feel) and get the Aussie first four. The international Let There Be Rock and the Jailbreak EP are completely redundant.

23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You’d still miss the uneditted Go Down, Ain’t No Fun... and DDDDC.

24. InStepWithTheStars

"Go Down", yes (was unaware that was ever even edited), but the other two are full length in Backtracks. It's "High Voltage" and I think "Long Way To The Top" which are extended but not full length.

25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

They (AC/DC) would be foolish not to release some sort of deluxe editions I for one would be into and I think a lot of their older fans would be, for one thing can afford to buy, not a young kid anymore trying to scrape money together for next release

mick_sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.