Is DVD Audio dead?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ocd1, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Said in a falsetto man-imitating-a-woman's-voice..."Well, it was coughing up blood last night."

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Somehow I can't quite picture that and the voice. Ok whatever.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think my Talking Heads and REM surround mixes are DVD-Audio, not SACD, as well as odd items like the Beatles Love. Are those available in SACD or bluray surround? If not, I need to keep my DVD-A player

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Deader than Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think the OP already has the answer, if there haven't been any new titles in awhile.

Sure, you can play what you have until you croak, and there are catalog items to buy. But that's not what the OP was referring to.

klockwerk likes this.
  6. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I looked at discWelders .. scary! I sent you a PM. If you can post your WAV/FLAC someplace, I will run it through Solo Ultra and post the results back to see if you get the expected output.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not sure if your post is in response to mine. I wasn't trying to make a point. I think DVD-A is dead as a format. I was wondering whether there are hi resolution surround alternatives for the Talking Heads, REM and the Beatles Love. Simple query. I don't want to upset anyone, so no need to answer. I'll search online at some point myself.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Not available for Talking Heads (the HD Tracks 2.0s are mixdowns I think); sorry not sure about the others.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I was responding to the OP's question, not your particular post.

That said...I got the impression the OP was talking about new releases. Are there new titles being released for DVD-A? I honestly don't know.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought DVD-A died a long time ago ...

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

12. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

In fact, DVD-V does support two-channel 96k/24 LPCM. For example, Classic Records released a series of DAD 96k/24 two-channel discs back when the DVD-V format was young. Here is one of them. It is NOT DVD-A.

13. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Thank you! PM responded to.

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Other than some Steven Wilson remixes, there have been no more than a handful of new DVD-Audio releases in years. The fact is that DVD-Audio lost the format war with SACD (which nearly died in the process as well while everybody waited it out). Although bluray audio has made a weak attempt to replace DVD-Audio in recent years.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

All these special hard media are on the way out. But does it really matter, the content, the audio, shall live on.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Blu-Ray audio ain't exactly taking off either. I get the feeling we'll get the same lack of software as we did with DVD-A and SACD.

I am making DVD-A discs from my hi-res downloads and I love it!

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

I use Cirlinca to build DVD discs for my Lexus. I can only playback DVD video format though, DVD-A is just unrecognized. Goofy Mark Levinson system.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same thing with Audi's B&O system. I take the optimist's view, though, as it enables me to pay concert DVD's that I've amassed over the years. I could never play those in the Acura Scheiner-designed DVD-A system.

19. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Not just dead, DOA.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The hard media will live on - with a software based playback there will always be players too.

Having the real disc in your hands will count for something, especially when there were few made and no more coming. The Audio Fidelity 4.0 series of SACDs is this type of media that will be collectible forever. Small runs, rare quad mixes of major albums, fanatical cult of collectors. SACD is not much more alive than DVD-A is really. But when the content is something special then these dead formats come back to life. 70s quad sounds killer played off of a SACD or DVD-A as a modern mastered program.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The hard media will live on - with a software based playback there will always be players too.

Having the real disc in your hands will count for something, especially when there were few made and no more coming. The Audio Fidelity 4.0 series of SACDs is this type of media that will be collectible forever. Small runs, rare quad mixes of major albums, fanatical cult of collectors. SACD is not much more alive than DVD-A is really. But when the content is something special then these dead formats come back to life. 70s quad sounds killer played off of a SACD or DVD-A as a modern mastered program.
    Yes I know of the entire line of Classic's DAD releases. But they are out of spec DVDs. That is why they are called DADs. The Muddy Waters - Folk Singer DAD is my fave issue of the recording. Just stunning sounding with pitch black background.

Anyway a DAD certainly sounded equal to DVD-A. But it was out of spec to be a part of the V family.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You think that DAD's sounded good.........you should hear a HDAD!!!...........24/192 :D

Steel Horse and quicksrt like this.
  23. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

I guess the bright side is that our head units support DVD anything at all. Also, the DVD Video format allows for 2 channel 24/96 reproduction while surround tracks are generally Dolby Digital/DTS and more limited due to bandwidth constraints of the format.

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Weird, wives LX570 played every audio disc under the sun.

25. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

The point is, that you don't need the medium to live on once you got the zeroes and ones transferred. I don't worry about my old floppy discs, CD's, DVD's, SACD's, LD's, small keys or HDD's with insufficient space and/or versatility. All these digital mediums have been successfully transferred and backed up to newer sufficient mediums with versatility and space. Nice to know you don't have to worry about any type of transports for these outdated mediums down the road.
    Saves time, money and space.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.