Is DVD Audio dead?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ocd1, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Have You tried Love by The Beatles on DVD-A. It's a real treat. I really like it in 5.1 Surround.

thxphotog and gd0 like this.
  2. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

A2/B2 certainly one of the two primo pressings. Not sure if that applies to the Quad LP though. I have the quad A2/B2 as well, and it sounds magnificent.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Not for me. Sony is dragging their heels on a Blu-ray firmware update so you can actually listen to the new Yes Fragile 5.1 remix. My solution, buy the DVD-Audio set.

4. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

For me it still is true. But of course, if iTunes is your only choice...

5. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Hi, I've got a Blu-Ray/SACD player (Sony) and I'm looking add a cheap player that will play the few dvd-a discs I have. I don't want to pay more than $150-$200, is it possible to get something in this range?
    TiA

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, it is possible to get something very good in the $30 to $60 range even. I take it you mean used? A Denon 1600 is in this price range and is a very fine sounding player and was not cheap when it was new.

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I've seen plenty of Oppo and Pioneer CD/SACD/DVD-Audio transports on Craigslist for less than $100.

8. Frank Field

Thanks for replies. If there are any other makes/models people can think of I would appreciate it (google search brings up so many DVD players but those without DVD-a compatibility also)

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My personal DVD-Audio player is a Pioneer Elite DV-48av. Here's two of them in Cincinnati. Pioneer Elite DV-48AV DVD Player - 1080p »

Here is a$50 Oppo DV-970HD in Austin. OPPO DV-970HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A/CD Player, PAL/NTSC, 5.1 Output, HDMI »

I suggest using one of the national Craiglist search engines and search "SACD" and "Oppo" or "Pioneer".

Happy hunting, Michael

jeffsab and Frank Field like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The SACD search will bring up players that do not play DVD-A discs. Why make the op work harder than he needs to?

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I suggested that because most listings omit the phrase "DVD-Audio". A highlight, right click, search with google will confirm the exact feature set.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

mrdiscman and mdm08033 like this.
  13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

mrdiscman and The Hud like this.
  14. Frank Field

After a lot of searching I have found a Denon 1930 nearby going for $50 which I can probably make an offer on...that would be perfect as I only need it for DVD-A playback and the price is right. Many thanks to all of you guys above^ for your help

mdm08033 and Linger63 like this.
  15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

WOW that's awesome........:righton: :agree::targettiphat:

LOL.........I remember paying around AUD$2K for my 3930 back in the day!!! :yikes: :wtf::faint: :crazy:

16. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

For brand new with remote etc. would be a good player.....I bought a used one at goodwill for 8 bucks......but used, no remote. They usually don't know the units are multi format capable so just consider them to be exactly like the rest of the pile of sony ones they usually have.

17. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

Remotes are no problem if you have a Logitech Harmony remote already.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, assuming Harmony has in their database a remote similar enough to your device's. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

However, for most companies, their DVD players from a given year or span of years all used pretty much the same remote. So if you can't find the exact same remote online at eBay, you can probably find one that works the same for a few bucks.

Dr Jackson likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know what you are saying but, DVD-A is not that common on the older SACD players, in fact none of the original Sonys feature it. Your idea of process of elimination is the longer way around a search because of what I just stated.

20. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

I am interested in the format. hope it is not dead. any users still out there?

21. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I have numerous DVD-A discs (mostly the stuff from the Panegyric Records label) and still (occasionally) acquire them when there's something of interest released. That said I never actually play them, I just rip the discs and create HiRes flac files for my server.

To answer the OP's question, though: I think DVD-A is virtually extinct since there seem to be hardly any releases any more (fewer than SA-CD/BD-Audio). This is a shame since the ease of ripping DVD-A is a big plus as I don't have the requisite hardware for doing the same with SA-CD.

sunspot42 and Plan9 like this.
  22. gammarayson

gammarayson Forum Resident

Can anyone here please tell me if its possible to rip the contents of a home burned DVD-audio disc on my Mac, and if so how? I have mislaid(or accidentally erased) the original file. I haven't had much success googling, and all I could find was software for extracting audio from dvd videos.

23. I have a program called DVDRipper Pro and I just ripped Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" to my Mac. I use the program to rip purchased DVD's to my NAS server. The rip plays with the Mac DVD Player program and VLC.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

They are still a few manufacturers that make SACD players but none that makes DVD-A player. I am not familiar with this format enough to know if these discs can be played on a regular DVD player ...

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Op makes a dvd-a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.