John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Agree with that, I doubt words could express how he was feeling. We all felt bad, but he'd lost a great friend.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Found out at 7.00am when my late father came through to my room to wake me up and tell me. I never thought he was a big music fan, but he knew I enjoyed music. Still a sad event thirty one years on.

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ya know, I didn't even think about it yesterday. Totally forgot about it. ahhhhh---still very sad.

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Any links/Cites to old news etc, you may be right because Macca did go on Breakfast TV to explain his reaction ?

5. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Sorry, I'm just running on my memory. I'm sure the TV crews and press were expecting something more obituary worthy from Macca and thei disappointment may have swayed how they perceived his reaction.

6. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Yes, what was the GH line in the film AHDN "She's a drag, a well known drag, we turn the sound down on her and say rude things"? In the UK context I think of it as as meaning something that's depressing or boring.

nikh33 likes this.
  7. Dan Daniels

Dan Daniels Forum Resident

"It's gonna be a dra-aa-ag, misery..."

nikh33 and Raf like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Damn, that is sad. Lotsa bad memories of December, 1980. I worked so hard yesterday, I didn't even notice that it was December 8th -- and I'm glad I didn't. The day was tough enough as it was.

"What a drag it is... getting old." That expression's been around a long time.

Paul has since said several times in interviews that he regrets appearing to be flippant, but said he was in total shock for days, and could barely get a sentence out.

nikh33 and Ephi82 like this.
  9. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I was 10 when he died. I was really into The Beatles at the time. Dad woke me before leaving for work to tell me. I remember that day like it was today.

RIP Winston O'Boogie

10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I was in college at The Ohio State University... well more properly that night I was in this horrible bar named "Papa Joe's". 500 kids packed in swilling watered down beer as fast as they could pour it. Anyway when the news came on the tube we couldn't hear it, but we read the crawler on the bottom of the screen... and then we all went home and played some records with the TV on but the sound down. A generational thing I guess, I know I will never forget it.

11. jricc

jricc Senior Member

You are still missed, John.

12. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

Hearing that terrible news is forever etched in my memory. Incredible that 32 years has passed.

13. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I was a senior at the University of Wisconsin. Had been a fan since I saw them on Ed Sullivan when I was five, and the first record I owned was She Loves You on the Swan label. Words fail to describe the sense of loss I felt. The world was better for his presence in it, and I continue to miss his contributions.

14. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

I will always remember where I was that night. I had graduated from college in June of that year and was in Kentucky on a business trip. I was watching Monday night football and reading the December 1980 Playboy John and Yoko interview when Cosell broke in with the news that he was shot and a little later that he was dead. The shock and errieness of the whole night is something I will never forget. I, like a lot of us, grew up with these guys. Always felt a bit of my youth left that night. We luckily still have the music and the memories.

15. The memory I have of the terrible event is - I know it's a pet theme with me, but I can't help it... - the importance it had for the man in the street, and not just for Beatles fans. The best illustration I have of this is my wife and I were leaving for work and school, together, that sunny and icy cold morning after the event, when our landlord's son (aged 20 something), who lived downstairs from us, who was completely ignorant of our musical inclinations and whom we were not even on real chatting terms with, politely waived at us and more or less had me lower my car window to break it on us with that real sorry expression on his face... "Have you heard the news? John Lennon is dead!"... I'll never forget that...

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Today while working on an audio event, I supplied the seasonal music through Pandora radio because no one thought to bring any! "Happy Xmas" came on. I remembered this was December 8, and even after all these years, I had to walk outside because I got very sad. Still hurts.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Long Live Lennon

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Think I will put on my Walls and Bridges LP. Thank You John.

19. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Dear John, we miss you.

20. It sends shivers down my spine each time I pass Strawberry Fields.

21. peter

peter Senior Member

Another day to remember than we can all be better to each other.

22. ronm

ronm audiofreak

He was my favorite Beatle and absolutely love his voice on the early-mid Beatle records.Even with the passing of time when i really think about it it still hurts.

23. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

My favourite artist of all time. He was so brave yet so weak. I just love the man.

24. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

Still bothers me. I remember waiting for this chain store, Music Plus to open, I forget if it was midnight or nine am, I was first in line, bought the album
    I called the studio, they said yeah we are playing it now! Everybody kind of skipped Yokos tunes, no offence. And then right as he got back in the mix bam
    shot dead. I Never got totally over it. The reunion songs helped, they defied that SOB Who thought he had the last word, Terrible moment, terrible terrible thing

Hi Five and O Don Piano like this.
  25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I can't believe it's been so many years now. I can never get far enough away from that day.

Rock Stamberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.